This thread currently has 3,171 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
OllieGTFC
May 9, 2017, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Can we really make BP a fortress next season, other teams say to a nightmare to come here but is it ?

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
psgmariner
May 9, 2017, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We could put even more dogshit on the pavements.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
mariner91
May 9, 2017, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from psgmariner
We could put even more dogshit on the pavements.

If we want to make life really uncomfortable we'll put it in the Osmond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
grimsby pete
May 9, 2017, 9:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If we have got the right players and the right attitude then yes we can,

Slade will not be over defensive and we have got the fans,

So lets attack attack attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND

Always score the first goal and put the sh its up the opposition.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Bigdog
May 9, 2017, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Statistics may show otherwise, but BP has never seemed like a fortress since the disappearance of the Barrett Stand and the open corners..

Sides are also now better set up to win away games in recent years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
moosey_club
May 9, 2017, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
I would settle for entertaining or even a place of hope at the moment, the last few seasons have seen very little of either in reality....i trust that Slade will at least present us with a product that gets us out of our seats in excitement during a game which would be a start.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2017, 10:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
I would settle for entertaining or even a place of hope at the moment, the last few seasons have seen very little of either in reality....i trust that Slade will at least present us with a product that gets us out of our seats in excitement during a game which would be a start.

Isn't that what MB promised in his first press interviews? Things like fans wanting to see wingers and crosses in the box and creating goalscoring chances, going for the jugular ..... That was one of the things I liked about his attitude at least in those early days.

The trouble with home performances under PH was simply that he always set up the side first and foremost not to lose. So very often we didn't even look like the home side and were sitting comfortable behind the ball, waiting to get it back and knock it long to the designated target player. Possession was often wasted wasn't it? Ray Wilkins made less sideways passes than our midfield. How many times did the ball end up back with a defender who had to knock it long to marked up strikers?

But it wouldn't take a lot for RS to turn BP into a fortress. Just play with some fire to win possession and get players in front of the ball especially in the final third.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
1mickylyons
May 9, 2017, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Well BP seems to have lost it`s way and the Barrett Stand was a big part of that but on the right day with the crowd in the right frame of mind it`s a hard place to come and win whatever it says on paper about the two actual teams.I refer back to the Gillingham game Season before we got relegated and that was the last time I recall the crowd winning Town a game.They were top of the League and I can`t think who their Manager was but he said his players were terrified of the crowd and he hadn`t seen fanatical backing like it for years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
louth_in_the_south
May 9, 2017, 11:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Somehow the atmosphere of the traveling fans at towns away games needs to be transferred to BP .

How do we do that I don't know
How do we do that I don't care

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2017, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Well BP seems to have lost it`s way and the Barrett Stand was a big part of that but on the right day with the crowd in the right frame of mind it`s a hard place to come and win whatever it says on paper about the two actual teams.I refer back to the Gillingham game Season before we got relegated and that was the last time I recall the crowd winning Town a game.They were top of the League and I can`t think who their Manager was but he said his players were terrified of the crowd and he hadn`t seen fanatical backing like it for years.  

It begins on the field though doesn't it? Not just the odd big occasion but every week. If the crowd is used to seeing a Waters, a Cumming, Cunnington, Cockerill or a Pouton driving forward with an Empson, a Gilbert or Donovan on the wing waiting for the ball and that happens game after game then it becomes a normal thing.

A ritual almost. I remember the Barnsley game where we were nearly salivating by kick off time at the thought of Bobby C having a go at Norman Hunter. The atmosphere was electric at the very thought. But you need players like that and you need managers who are going to encourage that flat out attitude. Then the crowd will become a part of it every week.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fortress

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.