mariner91
May 8, 2017, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,245
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from ginnywings
We've had a couple of batterings away from home under Slade as well to be fair and you can't say Cheltenham and Barnet are that good, not as good as Stevenage going on the run they put together at the time. Is Slade immune from the same criticisms as Bignot? Won 2, lost 2, drew 1 isn't exactly setting the world alight either.

Stevenage had won 1 game in their last 6 when we played them, they weren't in the middle of a good run and were 14th in the table after beating us. I'd hardly call a 2-1 loss to Cheltenham a "battering", it certainly can't be compared to Crewe sticking 5 past us when they hadn't won for ten games and gained 3 points from the 30 available during that time. Barnet was a very poor performance. However, he's been here less than a month and has an incredibly lop-sided squad that is lacking in some key areas.

I recall you kept saying how Bignot needed time even when he'd been here for a few months and we were actually getting hammered by four or five goals. So I find it odd that you believe a manager who's had five games, no transfer window and a fairly neutral start deserves the same criticisms that you thought were unfairly aimed at Bignot. For the record, after five games Bignot had got 5 points and Slade has got 7 so really not much to choose from. However, the three home performances have actually been pretty good, in fact I'd say they've been very good when you take into account that Plymouth were playing for the league title. Under Bignot how many genuinely good performances could you name? By my reckoning we actually played well away at Plymouth, away at Carlisle, away at Blackpool, home to Mansfield and possibly away at Orient but even there a team of teenagers who've lost to nearly everyone were better than us for much of the first half. Five good performances from 26 games is pretty shite whichever way you look at it. Slade has managed three from five games already with no signings of his own and less time in charge.

I realise you are not a fan of Slade but in my opinion, he is the much safer and better option to rebuild this unbalanced squad and to take us forward. There was nothing that MB did in his time here that gave me any encouragement that he had what it takes to improve things.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 8, 2017, 9:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from ginnywings

None but i don't see the relevance if they both had the same tools to work with. All three managers this season have averaged around 1.5 points per game, yet Bignot is being portrayed as the pantomime villain. Yeah, we were sh1te in some games but that was under all 3 managers. Good performances followed by bad ones, the epitome of mid table.

Not that it matters now.

It could be argued that......

- Hurst had a "return to L2 budget after 6 years in tin pot" based upon 4500 max per week at BP to work with.

- Bignot had a stack of cash from us actually getting in excess of 4500 per week at "The BP" for a couple of months before the Jan window and Omar's departure.  

- Slade inherited the fall out of both of the above.

People can choose who gad the most to work with and delivered the least.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
pizzzza
May 8, 2017, 9:28pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from HertsGTFC

- Bignot had a stack of cash from us actually getting in excess of 4500 per week at "The BP" for a couple of months before the Jan window and Omar's departure.  

How did Bignot spend the stack of cash from Bogle's departure that came 10 mins before the transfer window closed?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
ginnywings
May 8, 2017, 9:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I'm not really dissing Slade and i don't think he is a bad manager, he's not. I wasn't a fan of his playing style last time but when you are winning, it's easy to overlook. I am just sticking up a bit for Bignot, who i feel was hung out to dry a bit. Lies, damned lies and statistics as they say. Everyone uses them to back up their argument.

As i say, it doesn't really matter now and as always, i'm a hundred per cent behind the manager at BP, whoever that happens to be at the time.

Let's get some new signings on board and give us something else to talk about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 8, 2017, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

How did Bignot spend the stack of cash from Bogle's departure that came 10 mins before the transfer window closed?

Read it back I said the cash was from Bogle and attendances before and during the window.

Gate money - Clements, Yosef, Gunning, Asante, Osborne

Omar leaving -  Jones (fee and wage)  Dyson (wage) and Maxwell (wage) on the final day

Add to that pre Omar a new deal for Andy Warrington, the appointment of Gary (I'll set the cones out boss) Whilde and the money set aside for a S&C coach who wasn't available until the new year.

All confirmed by MB & JF in various bits in the media  before ad after MB's sacking

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
RichMariner
May 8, 2017, 9:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I went to that game at Stevenage and we were awful. We 'only' lost 2-0, but Stevenage were doing absolutely nothing at the time and we made them look like world beaters.

We looked totally clueless in the first half - especially going forward. I thought MB would change it at half time but if anything we got worse in the second.

If I'm honest, that's when I first began worrying about the future under MB.

I then went to the Crewe game, which obviously gave me further concerns. Still, I've never been one to call for the manager's head early, and like people have said, we'd keep picking up points here and there.

That's when I turned to blind faith! I presumed that he'd know more than me about football, and that he'd turn it around. We were safe from relegation and I was willing to give him the summer to see what he could build.

We'll never know if he'd have been able to take us forward, but based purely on what we saw - and what we know Slade can do - I think we're in a better position today than we'd have been with MB still in charge.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
TownSNAFU5
May 8, 2017, 9:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Besides other material failings, Bignot put too much credence on what the fans thought - and what he thought of the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2017, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
MB was on Talk Sport this afternoon banging the drum about the "managers transfer window" thing, funny that he never mentioned it when he was working.

He went on to paint a picture with H&J that he was hard done by stating "I lost my leading goal scorer Omar Bogle and keeper Dean Henderson which did not help things". Then went on to say that when he left we where 14th and we finished 14th and that "in the last 5 months he has learnt a lot about bard rom politics"..

Typical flannel forgetting to mention when he was recruited we sat (possibly falsely) 7th, left us with 30 odd pros and through Hendo under a bus in the media... etc.. etc.. etc...

On a day when we have said farewell to Dis who has excellent integrity I just though it was very ironic.        

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
rancido
May 9, 2017, 6:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Civvy at last

And how many of that team did Slade bring in exactly ??

MB inherited PHs' squad as well though and that included Davies ( past his best), Summerfield, Berrett, Tombola ( from 2 levels lower ). To MBs' defence his brief was to maintain our league status and build for the future. He openly admitted that if he was going to be judged purely on the performances for the rest of the season then he wouldn't have brought in the players that he did ( Clements,  Jones and Osbourne ). Yes, a lot of his selections were baffling to us and the performances were dire at times but he had a long term plan that he eventually wasn't allowed to put into place. None of us know what squad he would have finally ended up with for next seasons campaign but it's purely arbitrary now because he's gone.
I'll openly admit I didn't want RS back but he will get my support because he is our manager. Remember though that RS will have to achieve something next season ( or the season after if he hasn't already done a runner) that he has never done before and that is get a team promoted. PH has three to his name and two play-off finals plus a FA Trophy final appearance and even MB achieved a promotion at Solihul Moors.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
A Brace Of Tees
May 9, 2017, 7:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91

He started tinkering well before we were safe. There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to his changes and they rarely seemed to make us perform better than in the previous game, usually the opposite. He also never made any particular tactical changes or subs during a game that changed it in our favour. The game that will always stand out for me because it made me realise he didn't have much clue tactically was the away game at Stevenage. By the end we had four strikers on the pitch, with our main goalscorer seemingly dropping deep. There was no coherent or obvious plan as to how we were going to get the ball into areas for the multitude of strikers to attack and I think we managed one shot in the ten minutes where we were chasing a game and had four strikers on the pitch. Awful.

As for failing to communicate with his players, is that not one of the cornerstones of good management? If you can't get your ideas across and have your instructions simple enough for others to follow and implement then you are never going to make that idea a success. If his interviews are anything to go by then there is no wonder the players didn't understand. Talked a lot but said little. I think after a few weeks of trying to decipher what was actually meaningful, I'd have given up listening if I were a player. There is only so much waffle and bluster that an individual can take.

Have to say I agree 100% with this - I too was at that Stevenage game and had that awful sinking feeling long before 90 minutes were up that this bloke simply didn't have a clue. Whatever it was he tried to fill the players' minds with had the effect of leaving them completely baffled and bewildered.

I'm afraid that when I now think of Marcus, I can't help but think of the kid whose nose is pressed up against the sweetshop window with a big stupid grin on his face. A pity really, because I too had high hopes that he would take our club forward...in reality he took it backward and it is now left to Mr Slade to disentangle the mess which was left behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus just called

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.