8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
May 8, 2017, 6:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
There's so much about MB's tenure that doesn't make sense.

I think there's a good manager in there, but he was too experimental in his approach. He changed too much too soon for fear of missing out on his transfer targets in the summer.

I can sort of see things from his view - in that all his signings were sanctioned by the board, but if the board had reservations over his approach they could've addressed them while he was trying to sign his 10th central midfielder.

He upset the senior players, who were an important part of the side. He brought in too many players, failed in releasing or loaning out others to make way, and so I imagine the wage budget was under immense strain.

And the only loan players he was successful in sending away were the wingers we craved.

It takes a certain quality to get a team into the National League on a shoestring budget, so that's why I think he'll succeed somewhere, eventually.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
golfer
May 8, 2017, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from grimsby pete
The old girl next door told me there was a article about him in the sun today,

Saying he should not have been sacked because he did nothing wrong,

Has anybody read it ?

She did offer to loan me the paper but I refused.

Bullshite Pete- you get the Sun like everybody else on the Fishy except me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
Cloudy
May 8, 2017, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
The only thing he did wrong was not communicate to the players his plans.  His remit when taking over, was to ensure league status.  He did this, then he started to tinker, seeing where players played, put them out of their comfort zone to see how they coped.

So I can see where he is coming from, but he went about it the wrong way

Complete balderdash!!!

There was much more wrong than that including issues at the training ground and the huge costs to his transfer business when he failed to get even close to balancing the books despite promising that he could get players off the wage bill.
roll all these up and you start to get the idea that communication and results alone where not the only factor
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
dapperz fun pub
May 8, 2017, 6:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
He was taking training sessions with one hand on his phone looking at training drills , the older guys questioned this and said what the fuckk is going on.  Marcus got Mardy with them hence the strange selections by this point the players basically complained to fenty I assume. Nice guy just not ready for a big club like ours , Solihull more is level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
Hagrid
May 8, 2017, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Any link to this interview?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
Mariner_09
May 8, 2017, 6:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from mariner91

He started tinkering well before we were safe. There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to his changes and they rarely seemed to make us perform better than in the previous game, usually the opposite. He also never made any particular tactical changes or subs during a game that changed it in our favour. The game that will always stand out for me because it made me realise he didn't have much clue tactically was the away game at Stevenage. By the end we had four strikers on the pitch, with our main goalscorer seemingly dropping deep. There was no coherent or obvious plan as to how we were going to get the ball into areas for the multitude of strikers to attack and I think we managed one shot in the ten minutes where we were chasing a game and had four strikers on the pitch. Awful.

As for failing to communicate with his players, is that not one of the cornerstones of good management? If you can't get your ideas across and have your instructions simple enough for others to follow and implement then you are never going to make that idea a success. If his interviews are anything to go by then there is no wonder the players didn't understand. Talked a lot but said little. I think after a few weeks of trying to decipher what was actually meaningful, I'd have given up listening if I were a player. There is only so much waffle and bluster that an individual can take.

However, three weeks prior to that we went to Carlisle and he totally tactically out thought Curle with the swap to 3 at the back which confused them more than us and we all lauded him as a tactical genius. Funny how things change isn't it?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 8, 2017, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Cleary lots of issues and gaffes in the media, Coaching/training, selection, games plans, imports and exports (lack of) but the big thing for me was it appears that he thought he could behave in the same manner with experienced full time pros some of who had been around the block and who's livelihoods depend on playing as he could with part time "plumbers and postmen" who play for enjoyment or as a second income supplement.    

I always thought he came across as someone who was trying to be what he thought we wanted to see rather than himself e.g. phrases like "The B.P". I hope he gets another decent job and does not repeat the mistakes he made at GTFC if he can avoid doing that I am sure he'll have a decent FL/NL career somewhere.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
AussieMariner
May 8, 2017, 7:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mariner_09

However, three weeks prior to that we went to Carlisle and he totally tactically out thought Curle with the swap to 3 at the back which confused them more than us and we all lauded him as a tactical genius. Funny how things change isn't it?

Clearly the element of surprise in action - worked that time but from what I read on here after that the opposition managers were onto it and exposed us out wide when the fullbacks/wingbacks pushed up
One swallow doesn't make a summer (or a drunk)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
May 8, 2017, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
He has got right under my skin. Early on it didn't seem right, and if this article is correct he is moaning he got unfairly sacked - wow even if it were true (which I don't think it was) that is hardly a first in football!!

When you think of Fenty's loyalty to managers in the past, it must have been very obvious to the Board that he had no idea what he was doing and dismissal was inevitable.

I will admit that we did get all important points on the board under him, but nobody can be that erratic and expect to keep their job. I think those media interviews which left us bemused tell their own story of a man completely confused and bewildered by what he had taken on. It is all very strange as he has been in football a long time, and you would have thought he would have had learned a lot and had a lot to offer but it seems we gave the job to a twin brother or alter ego.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
KingstonMariner
May 8, 2017, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AussieMariner

Clearly the element of surprise in action - worked that time but from what I read on here after that the opposition managers were onto it and exposed us out wide when the fullbacks/wingbacks pushed up
One swallow doesn't make a summer (or a drunk)

But one swallow makes a girlfriend a keeper.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus just called

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.