Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
The old girl next door told me there was a article about him in the sun today,

Saying he should not have been sacked because he did nothing wrong,

Has anybody read it ?

She did offer to loan me the paper but I refused.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 75
mariner91
May 8, 2017, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
I've seen the article (I don't read The Sun though!) and he's calling for a "manager window" whereby managers can only be hired and fired at certain times. He claimed he was getting results but still got sacked so I'm a bit bemused that he thinks 4/5 goal drubbings plus numerous other poor performances counts as getting the results. The idea is idiotic as well, if a manager loses the dressing room (cliche but it's true) you'd be screwed because you'd be stuck with him.

He says that young managers aren't getting the opportunities to develop before getting sacked but I'd argue that the good ones don't get sacked. There are plenty of opportunities for English managers in the FL, it's hardly full of foreigners like the PL and there's equally plenty of coaches in L2 who are within 3/4 years of age as Bignot. Younger or same aged managers as Bignot in L2 currently: Darren Sarll, Darren Way, Shaun Derry, Jim Bentley, Derek Adams, Nathan Jones, Gareth Ainsworth, Paul Tisdale, Darren Ferguson, John McGreal and Gary Bowyer. That list doesn't include the six who are younger who have been employed less than 6 months. This means more than half of L2 managers are younger or the same age as him suggesting that he doesn't really have a valid point. Sorry MB, the harsh truth is you just weren't up to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 75
ginnywings
May 8, 2017, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
I'm not so sure he wasn't up to it myself. I think he just needed reigning in a bit and some guidance because i think he has something about him. Time will tell of course and he'll be wiser for his time here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 75
Tangerine Chris
May 8, 2017, 5:30pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
The only thing he did wrong was not communicate to the players his plans.  His remit when taking over, was to ensure league status.  He did this, then he started to tinker, seeing where players played, put them out of their comfort zone to see how they coped.

So I can see where he is coming from, but he went about it the wrong way

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 75
May 8, 2017, 5:37pm
Guest User
We finished 8 points off the playoffs, he spent the first three months of the year experimenting and turning a very well organised team in to 11 guys who didnt have a clue , and squandered/gave up on the chances of making the play offs very early on. He bought WAY too many new players in,  randomly played our 3rd choice left back in centre midfield against top of the table, and is now bitching in the national news about having done nothing wrong - not a man to have as manager, full stop.
Reply: 5 - 75
jimgtfc
May 8, 2017, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 935
We finished 8 points off the playoffs, he spent the first three months of the year experimenting and turning a very well organised team in to 11 guys who didnt have a clue , and squandered/gave up on the chances of making the play offs very early on. He bought WAY too many new players in,  randomly played our 3rd choice left back in centre midfield against top of the table, and is now bitching in the national news about having done nothing wrong - not a man to have as manager, full stop.

This.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 75
Mariner_09
May 8, 2017, 5:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 935

I'd like to add that he utter alienated the fans with his persistent balderdash, it wasn't surprising the players were as confused as us!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 75
mariner91
May 8, 2017, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
The only thing he did wrong was not communicate to the players his plans.  His remit when taking over, was to ensure league status.  He did this, then he started to tinker, seeing where players played, put them out of their comfort zone to see how they coped.

So I can see where he is coming from, but he went about it the wrong way

He started tinkering well before we were safe. There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to his changes and they rarely seemed to make us perform better than in the previous game, usually the opposite. He also never made any particular tactical changes or subs during a game that changed it in our favour. The game that will always stand out for me because it made me realise he didn't have much clue tactically was the away game at Stevenage. By the end we had four strikers on the pitch, with our main goalscorer seemingly dropping deep. There was no coherent or obvious plan as to how we were going to get the ball into areas for the multitude of strikers to attack and I think we managed one shot in the ten minutes where we were chasing a game and had four strikers on the pitch. Awful.

As for failing to communicate with his players, is that not one of the cornerstones of good management? If you can't get your ideas across and have your instructions simple enough for others to follow and implement then you are never going to make that idea a success. If his interviews are anything to go by then there is no wonder the players didn't understand. Talked a lot but said little. I think after a few weeks of trying to decipher what was actually meaningful, I'd have given up listening if I were a player. There is only so much waffle and bluster that an individual can take.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 75
grimsby pete
May 8, 2017, 6:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
The difference with players and managers is,

You can drop a player if he is not doing a good job,

BUT

What do you do with a manager who is not doing a good job ?

So a managers window would not work,

I too am not sure if Marcus would have got it right in the end, I think he tried to do too much too soon,

I am sure he has learnt his lesson and will be a success somewhere.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 75
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus just called

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.