This thread currently has 5,730 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
May 8, 2017, 12:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
This is the final Division 1 table for 1934-1935. Besides us none of the other names in that table really look out of place 80 years on!

[img]https://s22.postimg.org/m81op5735/Capture.png[/img]

if Bournemouth can do it, why not? Seems a long way off at the moment, but how about it happens sometime in the next 20 years!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Grantham_Mariner
May 8, 2017, 12:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,177
Gold Stars: 50
Would love it, but I do not think I will be able to afford to see many game, I think a season ticket would too much for me.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Maringer
May 8, 2017, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
Don't Bournemouth have some Russian oligarch or other bankrolling them? Lots and lots of money into the club so, well as they've done, it hasn't exactly come out of nowhere.

Fenty's millions are chicken feed to these chaps.

Pretty much no chance of us ever making it into the top division again, I'd imagine. Money just too important these days and we'll never be able to match the wages of even middle-sized Championship clubs. If we were to unearth a couple of real gems to help us win promotion to the Championship, they'd be on their way instantly in the same way that Bogle has departed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
OllieGTFC
May 8, 2017, 12:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Hopefully one day who knows but I don't think it would be anytime soon maybe championship one day

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Paris Mariner
May 8, 2017, 12:24pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Preston do. They haven't been in the top flight since 1961 and haven't won a major trophy since 1938.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
May 8, 2017, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,648
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from GrimRob
This is the final Division 1 table for 1934-1935. Besides us none of the other names in that table really look at out place 80 years on!

[img]https://s22.postimg.org/m81op5735/Capture.png[/img]

if Bournemouth can do it, why not? Seems a long way off at the moment, but how about it happens sometime in the next 20 years!

Well we live in hope. I always compare us with Swansea - I remember at the old Vetch Field they used to get 3/4000 home gates in the old 3rd and 4th divisions and look at them now. And Hull come to that. I cannot ever see us having the funding to ever get there, but you just never know but I would be very happy to be in the current league 1.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
ginnywings
May 8, 2017, 12:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Think Burnley are the yardstick for a smallish club made good, although they have always had a good core support. Think it would take a lot of money and a lot of luck, as well as some incredible management, but we've been to the top of the Championship before and could feasibly do it again, although it's a different world now in football.

We would need the new ground and the support to build, which it would if we started to move up the leagues, but it will remain a pipe dream. I'll be happy for now if we challenge in League 2 and hopefully get established in League 1 in a new ground. Only then will i think about getting any further. Burton have established themselves in the Championship but only just held on this season and it would take a footballing miracle for them to get in the Prem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Wrawby_Mariner
May 8, 2017, 12:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
To be honest I don't like the Premier League and everything it stands for. I want us to do well... boy do I want us to do well, but top half of the Championship would do me just fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 7 - 33
Maringer
May 8, 2017, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184

Well we live in hope. I always compare us with Swansea - I remember at the old Vetch Field they used to get 3/4000 home gates in the old 3rd and 4th divisions and look at them now. And Hull come to that. I cannot ever see us having the funding to ever get there, but you just never know but I would be very happy to be in the current league 1.

Best part of 700,000 people live in the Swansea Bay area (which admittedly extends to the end of Pembrokeshire!). The more immediate region is around 400k, I believe, so we can't get near to competing with their catchment and we'll never be able to attract the same sorts of crowds, especially as football is now becoming more popular there instead of the traditional rugby. Same goes for Hull. And Bournemouth, for that matter - Population of Bournemouth and its immediate neighbours combined is much higher than that of NE Lincs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 8, 2017, 12:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
O Ye Of Little Faith!

Anything is possible in football. All it needs is money and luck. Then anyone can go out and buy some second rate dross continentals like Hull etc. so they have a virtually full squad of players whose names they can't pronounce properly.  

Bournemouth have probably done it best, Leicester not too bad either. Barnsley and Derby were pretty hopeless really though Barnsley were a bit unlucky. Watford is completely wrong for me. Even worse than Hull, isn't it a nursery for some Seria Z side?

I love the idea of Grimsby winning the Champions League like Celtic with a side all born within 10 miles of BP but realistically such things will never happen again. What could happen is that Grimsby suddenly gets a big spending benefactor and zooms up the leagues.

The question really should be would we as supporters genuinely like that to happen? For me, no. Not unless it can be done like Brournemouth and I don't think we have as much hinterland to support it really.  The price is too high. As they almost say on The League Of Gentlemen -  "a local club for local people" , once you go beyond that you can lose more than you gain. Look at Leyton Orient.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Will it ever happen again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.