3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
April 29, 2017, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,328
Gold Stars: 526
To car. poor. We are woefully inconsistant, as we have been all season, think Russ has a lot of work to do to sort it, admittedly maybe half the team that played today wont be here next season. Some fans giving stick to macca again but imo undeserved today, kept scoreline down with some good saves as our midfield and flanks were completlely overrun. So pleased for dis to score if it is his last for us. Before the game atmosphere excellent, and 2nd half was barmy in the away end. Much to ponder over the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
April 29, 2017, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
inconsistentcy from never having a settled side really, 30+ players used, lost track of how many centre back/ centre mid/ centre forward partnerships we have had so that spine has never been solid.  3 managers, some very different approaches for the players to adopt and get used to.
As the season ends and we review it then finishing mid table wont seem so bad.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2017, 5:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,891
Gold Stars: 225
I think Moosey's post above is bang on to be honest.

As well as all the instability off the pitch and around the team this group lacks any threat from out wide and lacks pace and urgency, Barnet had some pace and urgency and a bit of threat out wide so where able to use the space  much better than a narrow Town side.

We made an average Barnet side look decent today and I can't help thinking there was a few players who have "professional footballer" written on their contract who have breached their contracts by not really putting in what they are capable of today. This may have not meant much to them today but it meant a bit to the travelling fans.  

First goal was not great from a defending and goal keeping point of view as Shaun did not really compete with Akinde for the header and Macca could be argued was a bit too far off his line.

The second was a decent goal and underlined what they had and what we miss with the kid coming in from the right and finishing really well. The third was an illustration of "sloppy Town" once again not really dealing with a 2nd ball.

So enough of the negative and on to the positive and what a massive positive the 1200 of us who made what is a long and expensive trip to a meaningless game, that in itself is exceptional. Then to top it loads of the supporters get dressed up, arrange for a band etc.. etc.. and make a real event of the day.

Well done GTFC fans your are special people and I for one am proud of what you do to get behind the lads.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
sonofmadeleymariner
April 29, 2017, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
I don't think we were really that bad  we were just woefully inconsistant and Barnet were just better. When we pressed high and passed the ball around in the first 15 we looked good but you could see how the game was going to go when we couldnt muster even a shot in that time.

We then started to sit deeper and Barnet passed and moved us off the pitch pulling us apart. Macca at fault for the first unless Pearson called for it he was in conpletely the wrong position to defend the header or he should of punched it out the air.

There 2nd was a cracker at the near post. Davies went for the tackle and missed and the defence was slow to react and they smashed it into the net nothing really Macca could of done to save it there was that much power behind it. All we could do was hood it forward to no avail.

2nd half Dyson and Boyce on for Osbourne who wasn't in the game and Pearson who was getting bullied by Akinde-Pen.

Started bright for first 5 minutes then they scored Collins cleared the ball which was heading in straight to their player what can you do. We looked better with Dysons pace but never really created any real chances.

Tombolas arrival created the necessary space we needed with his pace and the width he created. Disley got a good tap in at the back post after Vernon headed the ball on. Like I said we didnt play badly we were just outplayed bevaise of our own inconstistancy.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2017, 6:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think we were really that bad  we were just woefully inconsistant and Barnet were just better. When we pressed high and passed the ball around in the first 15 we looked good but you could see how the game was going to go when we couldnt muster even a shot in that time.

We then started to sit deeper and Barnet passed and moved us off the pitch pulling us apart. Macca at fault for the first unless Pearson called for it he was in conpletely the wrong position to defend the header or he should of punched it out the air.

There 2nd was a cracker at the near post. Davies went for the tackle and missed and the defence was slow to react and they smashed it into the net nothing really Macca could of done to save it there was that much power behind it. All we could do was hood it forward to no avail.

2nd half Dyson and Boyce on for Osbourne who wasn't in the game and Pearson who was getting bullied by Akinde-Pen.

Started bright for first 5 minutes then they scored Collins cleared the ball which was heading in straight to their player what can you do. We looked better with Dysons pace but never really created any real chances.

Tombolas arrival created the necessary space we needed with his pace and the width he created. Disley got a good tap in at the back post after Vernon headed the ball on. Like I said we didnt play badly we were just outplayed bevaise of our own inconstistancy.

Shaun went off because he was unwell and according to RS and the wireless apologised to Macca or the Akinde goal as he let Akinde get ahead of him.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
TownSNAFU5
April 29, 2017, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,831
Gold Stars: 42
We have won away at 6 of the teams that can get promoted, or have been promoted.

I won't mention the details of the very poor home defeats to teams at the bottom.

We are very inconsistent, but have proved that despite numerous player changes, we can beat the best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
mariner91
April 29, 2017, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,544
Gold Stars: 258
One word: pace. They had it in abundance and we did not. To a man almost, they were more mobile and quicker than us. We need at least three or four quick/mobile players in key areas next season in order to move up a level and be able to challenge. We just never looked like threatening or creating much because we had no penetration, nobody quick enough to actually pull their defence apart or get in behind them. Lots of work to do for RS over the summer.

Great fun in the stand though, well done everyone who was there and thanks Trev for organising the band. A surreal but memorable day out after a slightly surreal season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2017, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
One word: pace. They had it in abundance and we did not. To a man almost, they were more mobile and quicker than us. We need at least three or four quick/mobile players in key areas next season in order to move up a level and be able to challenge. We just never looked like threatening or creating much because we had no penetration, nobody quick enough to actually pull their defence apart or get in behind them. Lots of work to do for RS over the summer.

Great fun in the stand though, well done everyone who was there and thanks Trev for organising the band. A surreal but memorable day out after a slightly surreal season!

I loved it when after the 2nd and it went a bit quiet the trumpeter did a little bit and got everyone going again, first half conga has probably never been seen before too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
forza ivano
April 29, 2017, 7:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from mariner91

Can't disagree with that.excellent summing up. V hard to believe that some of our players were playing for their future. They looked like they'd packed their beach towels and sun tan lotion days ago. I don't think there was a single positive to take from today, and we are faced with seeing the 4 th new gtfc team in 15 months come September. I'd be amazed if there's any more than 4 or 5 of that 14 who will be playing in 3-4 months time. Too old, too slow, too narrow, too unimaginative would sum it up and rather worryingly it was the two oldest players in Collins and Disley who came out with any credit. Osborne was anonymous whilst Sam Jones was embarrassingly selfish. Davies was again abysmal. How the hell was he pompeys poty last season? I struggle to see the point of Clements. He does love his cruyfff turns but what's the point of a playmaker who doesn't create anything?
Slade will have learnt a lot today, but unfortunately it was all negative. Once again, and as per feckin usual, the best performance was turned in by the fans. Thank god it's the end  of the season.by Christ slade has got a very busy summer in front of him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2017, 7:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think Russ will know all he needs to know after today, bit worried we might be embarrassed next week versus a Plymouth side who are pushing for the title. Your right Forza at times it looked like Dis was the only one who was bothered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.