2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
April 28, 2017, 10:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,666
Gold Stars: 28
With Portsmouth, Plymouth and Doncaster all going up, who have clearly been a class above the rest, I was thinking about who the contenders could be next season. And looking at the teams, it's incredibly hard to single out any specific team, such is the closeness as it stands. The more I thought about it, the more I believe there could be even more teams battling for the promotion and play off positions next season, than there has been this season. It certainly doesn't look like the relegated teams will offer as strong a challenge as Doncaster have, and you'd imagine that if Lincoln hold onto the Cowley's, they'll be at least a decent mid table team. I suppose ultimately, I believe town should be a genuine contender next season. We've already seen what an organised team could do over a few of the games under Slade. And I don't think any of us would argue we've looked anything like a promotion team this season, and yet we're a few dropped points away from the play off positions. With a bit of stability, which has clearly effected us this season, I genuinely believe we could be pushing for automatics too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
April 28, 2017, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
With a few quality acquisitions, specific in wide areas and striker we should be right up there. Osborne looks like a proper player, he's the type of dynamic, energetic and footballing midfielder we've lacked for years.

Jones also looks to a very good goal scorer and will thrive I think playing just off a Vernon or G. Jones style striker.

The big question for me is can we keep hold of Andrew and Collins, I expect SP to sign. If we can get DC and DA plus a couple of wingers including a genuine left sided one then I reckon we're in good shape.

Plus I reckon McAllister and Browne might have something to offer next season.

Donny and Pompey were the best 2 teams I saw this season and then I thought Crewe and Hartlepool looked good but they obviously aren't. Hoping that a squad that will already be gelled will be able to get a good start and hopefully carry it on.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
ginnywings
April 28, 2017, 11:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
I agree the three teams mentioned were a level above the others, which is why there is a decent points gap between 3rd and 4th. If say Luton get the 4th spot, that would be 4 strong teams out of the picture and i really think there won't be as much competition next year for the top 7 spots. I think we will be in and around there myself. A tad more stability and consistency this season would have got us into the play offs, so i don't see why we can't improve by the 10 points needed to take the season right to the end. I feel Lincoln will do well next year myself and expect them to be right up there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Grantley
April 29, 2017, 12:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Dont really see how we can predict next season when this one hasn't even finished.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Garth
April 29, 2017, 6:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Grantley
Dont really see how we can predict next season when this one hasn't even finished.

Agree and if Lincoln don't make significant changes to their squad it could all end up like Cheltenham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
golfer
April 29, 2017, 8:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
I think we had a too big a clear out for whatever reason and started with a load of strangers this season. Before they could gel properly we lost our manager-further disruption-new manager-further disruption-transfer window-further disruption- manager sacked-further disruption-new manager. So on the whole we didn't do too bad so if Town and Lincoln can get an early settled team there is no reason why both of us can't be up there come the season end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
GtfcGarner
April 29, 2017, 8:31am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
It will no doubt be weaker next season but it depends how we start as we know anyone can beat anyone in this league. Look at when Crewe give us a drubbing but we are finishing higher than them. We absolutely tonked Stevenage earlier in the season and they look likely to have a play-off place. A good pre-season and offloading/recruitment process is needed to give us a strong start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Cloudy
April 29, 2017, 9:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Don't think it will be as easy next season as many claim.

Donny bounced back in one, who is to say Port Vale (IF they come down) wouldn't do the same. Colchester, Mansfield ( Evans factor) plus a few others will fancy themselves. Surprises often happen, a star striker emerges. It could be us as I think Slade will have us far better organised than MB did, just a question of if he can add the X factor.

Let's finish the season on the up, retain key players, sign the additional quality and go into next season with optimism when the time comes
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Mariner93er
April 29, 2017, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,666
Gold Stars: 28
Do people expect us to be in the play offs next? Personally, having seen what it takes to get there this season, I'd be dissapointed if we didn't. It seems you only need to win a few more than you lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
HertsGTFC
April 29, 2017, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
At this stage with 2 games to play it the same as any season really and dependant on,

- Who we retain and lose
- Who we bring in
- How well we can defend
- We have attackers that can score

Personally I would expect Shaun to re-sign but not sure about the Danny's who I would like to stay but if they don't I am sure Russ has a network big enough to draft in decent replacements. I can't see any of the loans coming back.

Similar with signings again I would expect Russ to be able to attract a better quality of "finished articles" than maybe PH or MB could have done, especially considering there is still a little bit of cash in the bank from Omar. Some decent early season ticket sales might influence this a bit too even if the income is banked for the Jan window.

I think an experienced manager should be able to set us up to keep it tight at the back and from his time here before and the first 3 games back I know Russ has more ideas about attacking than PH and MB and with Wilko on the staff the strikers will get some decent input for once.

So where will we finish? I sense higher than 14th but for us to have a chance of going up a lot of work needs to be done on and off the pitch I reckon.

Interesting to see though that of the teams that currently sit in the play off positions we have only failed to beat Exteter won at Luton and Blackpool and put 5 past Stevenage so I think we are right to be optimistic.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League 2 next season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.