7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 22, 2017, 5:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
An pretty meaningless end of season game but very entertaining all the same. Town played some excellent stuff and looked good but it has to be said that Yeovil were pretty inept and their defence parted like the Red Sea on many occasions. Both side scored excellent goals with MOM Osbourne's being the pick of the bunch with a great solo run and finish from the halfway line. He has a lot of talent and will get better next season hopefully. It was one of those games where the midfield had time and space, so all looked pretty good. Great to see Disley get a game and i hope he gets another contract as he still has much to offer.

Where the Ref got 6 minutes injury time from is a mystery. The game was enjoyable but had no real cutting edge, so i don't think we learned much from it. Roll on next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
April 22, 2017, 5:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Enjoyed that, Town are a different animal under Russell Slade's leadership.

I'm looking forward to next season now.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
fleabag1970
April 22, 2017, 5:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Very impressed . Still players out of position but the main difference is they know what they are doing . We moved the ball up top quicker . Vernon was my mom . Slade will love his performance today . Osbourne a close second . The main thing is we looked like a team today

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
NorthseaMariner
April 22, 2017, 5:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Yes we looked much better and more organised today I thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
Hagrid
April 22, 2017, 5:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Really enjoyed that, vernon very good, osbourne exceptional. Berrett looks a different player! And agree with Ginny in that i'd love to see disley get another year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
fishyfanny
April 22, 2017, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.90
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Agreed, I enjoyed it too. Osborne well deserving his MOM award. I thought Chris Clements had a good game too.

We were a much more balanced side today, but as has been said, a very end of season feel to it all.

Much happier too will RS in charge!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
oldun
April 22, 2017, 5:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Yes we were much better balanced in midfield, but they did have a lot of time and space to play in today. Some good passing and movement at times and we could have had a couple more goals. Yeovil showed why they are where they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
Balthazar Bullitt
April 22, 2017, 5:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Worth going just for Clements rabona back pass.!

Hard to judge given the opposition weren't up to much but a very enjoyable game. Players knew what they were about and where they were supposed to be. With the ball there was always someone showing for a pass and without it we were pretty well organised.

Osborne will attract most of the plaudits and rightly so but thought Vernon did an excellent job up front which allowed our midfield to push up.

Disley's legs have clearly gone as all he ever did was calmly control the ball and pass it to a team mate and get us going forward again. Think he only made about half a dozen runs, from deep, into the box.

Best game I've seen Berrett play .

Glad our pre-season has finally finished
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
moosey_club
April 22, 2017, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Better shape, Berrett and Osbourne keeping wider and disciplined, Disley and Clements ticking things over and without a "defensive" midfielder to get in their way the centre backs knew exactly what they had to do.
I understand that Slade has been left with about 8/9 centre mids but starting 5 of them today made me a little worried prior to kick off but...it worked....definate lack of pace as a result but looked more solid and they played it relatively simple and effective rather than flash.
Good to see the midfielders running beyond the strikers today, Disley a few times, Osbourne got the penalty by doing so too.

Cruised the first half after we got the penalty, lovely skill and strike from Clements for the second, was at the burger van and right behind the line of the shot and as soon as he hit it only one place that was going. Clements improved after that as i thought he was a little shaky to start with.

Finally a goal from a corner...albeit a scruffy one, off his back (?) and then Osbourne doing a magnificent Michael Reddy impression from inside our own half.  

More goals were threatened but just didnt fall right, Osbourne causing plenty of problems as the game wore on.

I was very close to not bothering today ...glad i did.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2017, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Apart from a bit of flapping from Macca, no-one did themselves any harm today although Danny Andrew's right foot shot showed that he should use it just for standing on.

Much improved displays from Vernon and Berrett, calm performance from Dis and excellent goals by Osborne & Clements. Much better all round.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.