Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dig out your old programmes!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 225 Guests

Dig out your old programmes!

This thread currently has 1,601 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
April 20, 2017, 12:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
LOT 308 SPORTINGOLD Auction this morning.

Grimsby vs Manchester United 1947-8 programme guide price £230 - £250. Condition fair / good.

Sold for £1,350.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
April 20, 2017, 12:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,778
Gold Stars: 222
I have got  a Braintree v Town programme,

Saving it for my great grandkids to sell for a fortune years from now .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Simariner
April 20, 2017, 1:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Quoted from jock dock tower
LOT 308 SPORTINGOLD Auction this morning.

Grimsby vs Manchester United 1947-8 programme guide price £230 - £250. Condition fair / good.

Sold for £1,350.

Why so much ??
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 7
jock dock tower
April 20, 2017, 2:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
It is a very rare programme Si. Coupled with the fact that you have three or four United collectors / businessmen who see it as their duty to outbid each other so they can each say "I've got the biggest willy" BTW, I sold a 1945-6 Town vs United programme about 5 years back for £200, so age isn't everything - and there'd have been a lot less programmes printed for the 45-6 one.

They are the most collectable club in terms of money spent annually on rare programmes, no doubt about that, but the Town programme outsold all the others that had similar minimum price guides around the £250 mark. Town are a very well collected club and their pro0grammes always punch well above their weight.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
TownSNAFU5
April 20, 2017, 3:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
The 1939 FAC semi-final Town v Wolves at Old Trafford set their ground record (76,962), which still stands.

It was a record defeat for a FAC semi-final (5-0), and one of the last big games played before WW2 started.  We also lost 2 keepers, just before and during the game.  This must have been some kind of record. No subs allowed in those days.

I would have thought that any programme for this game would be rare and valuable.  I believe that 2 have been sold in recent years for only about £200 - £300.  This seems to be under-valued, given the history behind the game.  l JDT should be able to provide more info on this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Mariner Ronnie
April 20, 2017, 3:35pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have got  a Braintree v Town programme,

Saving it for my great grandkids to sell for a fortune years from now .

A little hint, the final game of the season away to Braintree in the 13/14 season will be worth a few bob, only printed a few and sold out the away end practically at 2:20 when we walked in.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
jock dock tower
April 20, 2017, 4:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The 1939 FAC semi-final Town v Wolves at Old Trafford set their ground record (76,962), which still stands.

It was a record defeat for a FAC semi-final (5-0), and one of the last big games played before WW2 started.  We also lost 2 keepers, just before and during the game.  This must have been some kind of record. No subs allowed in those days.

I would have thought that any programme for this game would be rare and valuable.  I believe that 2 have been sold in recent years for only about £200 - £300.  This seems to be under-valued, given the history behind the game.  l JDT should be able to provide more info on this.

It's the kind of programme that has devalued, sadly, over the years. In the 1980s it was a £300 programme - £700-£800 at today's rate - but as people have collected it over the years there's not so many folk willing to get involved in auction bidding wars.

Would assume if it were to be sold at a GTFC Sportsmen's dinner at the end of the night when everyone was blootered it would probably hit the grand mark - but no sober person would ever pay that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Eastendmariner
April 22, 2017, 9:43am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
A lot of pre 1950 Town Progs are  very costly to buy in comparison to. Other teams but at least ebay has brought the opportunity to give anyone to make  good rare Town Progs availiable to collectors When I started in the mid 70's  The 2 Town semis where so rare  and as for prewar home Progs I'd never seen one . The prob with online auctions. (Not ebay) your gonna pay  a  commission to the body that's handling the sale.

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dig out your old programmes!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.