Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 63 Guests

General election

This thread currently has 36,227 views. Print
39 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jaygy
April 18, 2017, 1:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Looks like we are heading towards an early general election in June and seeing as the political debates on here are always very well discussed I thought I would raise the issue.

Will it be an easy win for Theresa and the conservatives as many are already predicting?
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
April 18, 2017, 2:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Think it will be an easy win, more's the pity. They wouldn't have risked it otherwise and they clearly want to increase their majority, so they can shaft us even more once we are out of Europe. Goodbye work time directive and human rights.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 385
Grim74
April 18, 2017, 2:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
She gets my vote👍, it's just a shame this means the end of commie Corbyrn who's comedy act with Abbott  has put the fun back into politics.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 385
moosey_club
April 18, 2017, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Jeez....i fking hope not.
Can we go back to a monarchy as i have just about had enough of politicians who just repeatedly blame each other, spin facts and figures and lie to the general public just to get into "power".
Mind you with Trump & Co rattling sabres over in Korea and Syria allsorts might happen before June.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 385
Mariner Ronnie
April 18, 2017, 4:39pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Bye corbyn, bye sturgeon.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 385
grimps
April 18, 2017, 5:24pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,990
Gold Stars: 46
She'll knock Corbyn out of the park and maybe even nick a seat or two in Scotland , it'll also give her a better negotiating stance with Europe and won't have a hand tied behind her back by the Phonies in the commons pretending to agree with the referendum result.
If Labour fail to get rid of the loonies and offer up another divvy as leader then it'll be curtains for them once and for all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 385
Maringer
April 18, 2017, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
Bye Sturgeon? Are you nuts? The SNP will certainly hold pretty much all the Scottish seats following this election, even if one or two were to change hands.

Anyway, a brazenly political u-turn from May which is only to be expected as you really shouldn't trust anything a Tory Prime Minister says. Various reasons for this, I expect. Obviously, the good polling they are currently receiving is of importance but the fact that the latest tranche of benefit-cuts have only just kicked in could be something they are considering? It will be obvious within 6 months how disastrous these are going to be to millions of the 'JAMs' May/Hammond have already lied about wanting to help. They'll probably get away with it with an election as early as June but any time much later than that? The evictions will probably have begun by then...  

If the Tories had waited until 2020, they would have the potential to increase their share of seats due to the boundary changes being implemented (mostly to their own benefit, of course), which is why most commentators were expecting no election would be called. However, I reckon the NHS will almost certainly have collapsed by then seeing the difficulties they've had even in this mild winter, not to mention the ever-increasing numbers of GPs retiring/moving abroad, lack of nurses, social care catastrophe occurring etc etc. By calling an election now, I think May is thinking she can potentially guarantee herself 5 years in power whereas the problems piling up for 2020 will be too much to overcome. Brexit included, of course.

One final point is that it has been reported there are likely to be many prosecutions due to Tory overspending on the 2015 election which could lead to anything up to 20 by-elections being called. This could, of course, easily wipe out any Tory majority - just think of the scandal if by-elections were ordered due to illegal expenditure. The CPS is currently considering if there are cases to answer and I'd imagine they will now decide not to prosecute in many or all of them if there is a general election to be held as it wouldn't be considered to be in the public interest. Hmmm. Wonder if this has been one of the major reasons for this sudden announcement - have the Tories been tipped the wink that prosecutions were going to be made shortly?

For now, most of the Labour seats currently held are actually pretty safe so any increase in Tory majority probably won't be too large, even if the vote share tumbles as predicted by the polling data, inaccurate as that has proved of late. Given the extremely successful hatchet job done on Corbyn (whose moderate left-leaning policies remain very popular among voters) by the media and the right-wing of his own party, it seems likely that the Lib Dems will be the ones to benefit most from this election which is incredible considering they were deservedly just about wiped out back in 2015.

Farron is a pretty hopeless leader, Corbyn hasn't stepped up into the role (though I'd argue he had little chance in any case given the vitriol from the media and many in his own party) and May is thoroughly incompetent. We've got the spectacle of an election coming up where nobody is really worth voting for!

I fear the worst, so our only hope the young get off their arses to vote this year because they've been royally shafted by the Tories/LibDem governments since 2010 and it would be nice if they realised this and stuck it to them for a change. Too much to hope for, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 385
devs
April 18, 2017, 5:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,958
Gold Stars: 30
Sad to say Labour are stuffed all ends up
Corbyn is a weak leader
The message from the left gets drowned out by rabid 'alt right' lies perpetuated by a right-wing press
Blairites will try and get control of party - David Milliband? - but that is where the mess began for Labour... in thrall to big business to get elected and forgetting about the millions who voted for them generation after generation

We are fast becoming a one-party state which is introducing privatisation, anti worker laws etc etc by stealth

All hell will be let loose when the vermin get a 130 seat+ majority
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 385
grimps
April 18, 2017, 5:41pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,990
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Maringer

Anyway, a brazenly political u-turn from May which is only to be expected as you really shouldn't trust anything a Tory Prime Minister says. Various reasons for this, I expect. Obviously, the good polling they are currently receiving is of importance but the fact that the latest tranche of benefit-cuts have only just kicked in could be something they are considering? .

People that are on benefits tend not to vote Tory , thats even if they vote at all so I doubt that'll have an effect on the Tory vote.
The only thing that could knacker May up would be a Brexit Sabotaged by the rest of the disgruntled House of Commons.
May is popular , the amount of people Ive heard that are not Tory but seem to think she's the best of a bad bunch at the minute.
I trust her more than any of the other idiots that are on offer from all the parties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 385
Mariner Ronnie
April 18, 2017, 6:16pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from Maringer
Bye Sturgeon? Are you nuts? The SNP will certainly hold pretty much all the Scottish seats following this election, even if one or two were to change hands.

Anyway, a brazenly political u-turn from May which is only to be expected as you really shouldn't trust anything a Tory Prime Minister says. Various reasons for this, I expect. Obviously, the good polling they are currently receiving is of importance but the fact that the latest tranche of benefit-cuts have only just kicked in could be something they are considering? It will be obvious within 6 months how disastrous these are going to be to millions of the 'JAMs' May/Hammond have already lied about wanting to help. They'll probably get away with it with an election as early as June but any time much later than that? The evictions will probably have begun by then...  

If the Tories had waited until 2020, they would have the potential to increase their share of seats due to the boundary changes being implemented (mostly to their own benefit, of course), which is why most commentators were expecting no election would be called. However, I reckon the NHS will almost certainly have collapsed by then seeing the difficulties they've had even in this mild winter, not to mention the ever-increasing numbers of GPs retiring/moving abroad, lack of nurses, social care catastrophe occurring etc etc. By calling an election now, I think May is thinking she can potentially guarantee herself 5 years in power whereas the problems piling up for 2020 will be too much to overcome. Brexit included, of course.

One final point is that it has been reported there are likely to be many prosecutions due to Tory overspending on the 2015 election which could lead to anything up to 20 by-elections being called. This could, of course, easily wipe out any Tory majority - just think of the scandal if by-elections were ordered due to illegal expenditure. The CPS is currently considering if there are cases to answer and I'd imagine they will now decide not to prosecute in many or all of them if there is a general election to be held as it wouldn't be considered to be in the public interest. Hmmm. Wonder if this has been one of the major reasons for this sudden announcement - have the Tories been tipped the wink that prosecutions were going to be made shortly?

For now, most of the Labour seats currently held are actually pretty safe so any increase in Tory majority probably won't be too large, even if the vote share tumbles as predicted by the polling data, inaccurate as that has proved of late. Given the extremely successful hatchet job done on Corbyn (whose moderate left-leaning policies remain very popular among voters) by the media and the right-wing of his own party, it seems likely that the Lib Dems will be the ones to benefit most from this election which is incredible considering they were deservedly just about wiped out back in 2015.

Farron is a pretty hopeless leader, Corbyn hasn't stepped up into the role (though I'd argue he had little chance in any case given the vitriol from the media and many in his own party) and May is thoroughly incompetent. We've got the spectacle of an election coming up where nobody is really worth voting for!

I fear the worst, so our only hope the young get off their arses to vote this year because they've been royally shafted by the Tories/LibDem governments since 2010 and it would be nice if they realised this and stuck it to them for a change. Too much to hope for, unfortunately.

I disagree, the Scots voted them into parliament but also voted to remain part of the UK, by her saying she wants another referendum on independence, this will have angered many Scots, she'll lose seats for definite, just another poor politician that can't accept a democratic vote.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 385
39 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.