Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst Manager in GTFC history?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 180 Guests

Was MB that bad?
Yes (20 votes)
19.80%
No (81 votes)
80.20%
101 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

Worst Manager in GTFC history?

This thread currently has 9,861 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Cayman_mariner
April 17, 2017, 11:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from realist

Maybe, but I will never forget his first game in charge at home to league leaders Portsmouth.   There was an incredible atmosphere, we won, and to hear Alan Ball still ranting at his players over half an hour after the game finished was priceless.

Groves was just as clueless but managed to pass this off as the ITV digital fault

He still managed to keep us up the previous season though realist so not completely clueless.  Bringing in Andy Todd made a huge difference, and wish we'd been able to see what difference Martin Pringle would have made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
Kris2
April 18, 2017, 12:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Neil Woods while a good coach particularly with youth players didn't cut it as a manager by a long shot, some of the worst games I can remember were under his tenure we looked all over the place lots of terrible loan signings and while everything was going wrong around him he just stood there on the sidelines with no ideas.

Mike Newell came in with a good reputation and had experience but what we got was like a washed up drunk who didn't give a toss about the club and just turned up to pick up a pay cheque. I guess he did keep us up for one season when it looked hopeless.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
Spidey
April 18, 2017, 1:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from realist

Maybe, but I will never forget his first game in charge at home to league leaders Portsmouth.   There was an incredible atmosphere, we won, and to hear Alan Ball still ranting at his players over half an hour after the game finished was priceless.

Groves was just as clueless but managed to pass this off as the ITV digital fault

I remember being there, night game if I remember, I was a wee young lad in the Pontoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 18, 2017, 8:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

I agree Ginny, that sticks out in my mind too. Play himself up front even though we had Kevin Drinkell on the books and 2 England U21 strikers in Gary Lund and Paul Wilkinson.

He'd taken over a team that had finished 5th in what is now the Championship and left us with an awful team that got relegated.

Definitely Lyons down as our worst manager for me for the way he destroyed that team.

Remember too that Wilkinson, Lund & Drinkell plus Gary Henshaw and John McDermott and all three Moore brothers came through a youth system that was based on players being comfortable on the ball and playing the game the way it should be played.

Watching the first team play lump ball at BP was bad enough but the saddest thing I remember from those days was watching Lyons' youth coach, whose name I forget, drilling school kids in exactly the same whack the ball methods and choosing first year pros from them on the basis of physique. That's why Lyons set us back years as a club and was by far the worst and most damaging manager we've ever had in my day.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Bigdog
April 18, 2017, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
What is scary going through this thread is that we've only had four managers (Buckley, Hurst, Laws? and Slade) in the past thirty odd years that have been relatively successful or decent. A sad indictment of the calibre of manager the board have appointed in that time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Bristol Mariner
April 18, 2017, 8:59am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Stupid thread...

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
fleabag1970
April 18, 2017, 9:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Neil woods by a country mile . Although the board are as much to blame for giving him way too much time

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
Grim74
April 18, 2017, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
If the poll was for best PR manager then Bignot would win, we waited years for a manager to actually engage with the fans it's been done to death on here many of times, and then when we finally get one he gets the sack for results being average in his first 5 months.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
Cloudy
April 18, 2017, 9:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Remember too that Wilkinson, Lund & Drinkell plus Gary Henshaw and John McDermott and all three Moore brothers came through a youth system that was based on players being comfortable on the ball and playing the game the way it should be played.

Watching the first team play lump ball at BP was bad enough but the saddest thing I remember from those days was watching Lyons' youth coach, whose name I forget, drilling school kids in exactly the same whack the ball methods and choosing first year pros from them on the basis of physique. That's why Lyons set us back years as a club and was by far the worst and most damaging manager we've ever had in my day.

Was it Terry Darracott?
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 18, 2017, 9:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cloudy

Was it Terry Darracott?

No Cloudy, Darracott was the reserves manager & assistant, this was another bloke who came in with them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst Manager in GTFC history?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.