Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The way forward.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 280 Guests

The way forward.

This thread currently has 4,185 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 12, 2017, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Can't believe why we used to play 11 years ago is so important. I enjoyed that season as much as any until Cardiff. But what counts is the future. Slade has managed teams as this level and lower and knows how to set a team up. He I am sure can play more than one way but whatever gets the most points is the best method.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 25
forza ivano
April 12, 2017, 11:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but we can dream. Buckley managed it and even Mills in the conference played a pass and move game, no doubt influenced by his time at Forest. I know it's not likely to happen, especially now that the game has changed a lot since the time of Buckley but it's something i would like to see at some point. I think it was Oxford in the F.A. Cup recently that gave us a football lesson at BP and they aint exactly a massive club.

I'm sure you would agree mills has been hit and miss, whilst you've picked Oxford out of probably 75 opponents in the last ten years. I'm not been pernickity but you can see it's very low percentage stuff? Teasdale at Exeter usually plays good footie, but they are still stuck in league 2, whilst I can never remember
Torquay being kick n rush but they could be heading towards conference south .
Three final points, both wilkinson and slade have been operating at a higher level than gtfc for many years now. This is a bit of a come down for them both so it's actually quite a positive that we've got them. Secondly they have a wealth of experience between  them which should only benefit us. Thirdly having operated at this higher level they may well be able to attract better quality players than mb or ph could've done and may well be able to unearth one or two overlooked gems in the championship academy rejects
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
ginnywings
April 13, 2017, 12:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

I'm sure you would agree mills has been hit and miss, whilst you've picked Oxford out of probably 75 opponents in the last ten years. I'm not been pernickity but you can see it's very low percentage stuff? Teasdale at Exeter usually plays good footie, but they are still stuck in league 2, whilst I can never remember
Torquay being kick n rush but they could be heading towards conference south .
Three final points, both wilkinson and slade have been operating at a higher level than gtfc for many years now. This is a bit of a come down for them both so it's actually quite a positive that we've got them. Secondly they have a wealth of experience between  them which should only benefit us. Thirdly having operated at this higher level they may well be able to attract better quality players than mb or ph could've done and may well be able to unearth one or two overlooked gems in the championship academy rejects

I'm not daft enough to think that we are going to play like Barcelona and it's more of a wish on my part than anything i expect to be a reality. I'm not happy about the way the game has gone, where success and three points are the end to justify the means. I think it is a big failing in British football and one of the reasons we lag behind other countries. It's all become about the result at the expense of how that result is achieved and that means massive fit blokes, playing to a set game plan with no room for individuality or flair. Managers are under immense pressure and the whole structure of our game seems to have lost the beautiful part from the beautiful game. Managers like Slade embody that flip chart, statistical approach to the game that has become the accepted way for most clubs. What i'm trying to say is that it's not just about results for me but i accept the majority of fans are happy to see a win most weeks, by any method, as Rob frequently points out. At the end of the day, my heart belongs to a lower end league club and i understand the limitations that go with that. As i said, i can dream and i blame Buckley for spoiling us with proper footy. I'm ready to accept whatever Slade and Wilko bring our way, at least for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
forza ivano
April 13, 2017, 12:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm not daft enough to think that we are going to play like Barcelona and it's more of a wish on my part than anything i expect to be a reality. I'm not happy about the way the game has gone, where success and three points are the end to justify the means. I think it is a big failing in British football and one of the reasons we lag behind other countries. It's all become about the result at the expense of how that result is achieved and that means massive fit blokes, playing to a set game plan with no room for individuality or flair. Managers are under immense pressure and the whole structure of our game seems to have lost the beautiful part from the beautiful game. Managers like Slade embody that flip chart, statistical approach to the game that has become the accepted way for most clubs. What i'm trying to say is that it's not just about results for me but i accept the majority of fans are happy to see a win most weeks, by any method, as Rob frequently points out. At the end of the day, my heart belongs to a lower end league club and i understand the limitations that go with that. As i said, i can dream and i blame Buckley for spoiling us with proper footy. I'm ready to accept whatever Slade and Wilko bring our way, at least for now.

I get you completely ginny and I harbour the same dreams.we were immensely lucky to have been blessed with ab's presence over so many years. And much maligned as laws and slade are, their teams played some wonderful stuff at times. I watch Norwich,Villarreal at heir best, Montpellier and Lille in their day plus Monaco and Lyon now and just wish we could do the equivalent at a lower level. I cling to the hope that wilkinson was a classy player who was good enough for Norwich and slade whose teams at gy, orient and Yeovil have played some lovely stuff will have the ability to provide some moments of magic. I think with Osborne,Andrew, Asante and Jones there is the possibility of good times ahead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
ginnywings
April 13, 2017, 12:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

I get you completely ginny and I harbour the same dreams.we were immensely lucky to have been blessed with ab's presence over so many years. And much maligned as laws and slade are, their teams played some wonderful stuff at times. I watch Norwich,Villarreal at heir best, Montpellier and Lille in their day plus Monaco and Lyon now and just wish we could do the equivalent at a lower level. I cling to the hope that wilkinson was a classy player who was good enough for Norwich and slade whose teams at gy, orient and Yeovil have played some lovely stuff will have the ability to provide some moments of magic. I think with Osborne,Andrew, Asante and Jones there is the possibility of good times ahead

I really hope so mate. Anyway, it's time for bed and away to York for a long weekend tomorrow, to eat, drink and ponder the past week. I might go and watch York to remind me what we are missing.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Oly1987
April 13, 2017, 12:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
I think people who think a Slade is a bad appointment need to give their head a wobble. He's been managing at a higher level than us for the last 10 years and aside from an awful day at Cardiff  (And the antics at the lincoln game) I think he did a good job. Took a team on a severe downward spiral and straightened them up and made them promotion contenders.

A lot of people dream of championship football and as nice as that dream is I think people would be a bit deluded if they didn't think we were punching above our weight a little bit in the 90's.

And that's nearly 20 years ago and the landscape of football has changed a lot. Money talks and we will never be a big money club without someone other than Fenty dipping into their pockets.

We've just got back into the league after 6 years in the wilderness and I think Slade will help to steady the ship and take us closer to promotion. People may not like his style but he got the results and at the end of the day that's what we want isn't it? Rather play passing football in league 2 or direct football in league 1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The way forward.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.