Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › For all you Bignot out fanboys.......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 154 Guests

For all you Bignot out fanboys.......

This thread currently has 6,761 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
April 11, 2017, 11:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Look at the state of the pitch at Cheapside though. It's a right mess.

Starting to get worried by Fentys unwillingness to have the Club spend money on anything which only indirectly helps us and isn't a tangible result like a player who will score a winning goal.

Strength and Conditioning Coach. No they won't pop up in the 90th minute to win us 3 points but such a person could help us to have our best players available more we might otherwise have, so long term it helps us.

Overnight stays before a distant away game to save a long coach trip down on the day has obvious benefits that could help the players in the game but he seems reluctant to entertain this too.

And the pitches both at Blundell Park and Cheapside need investment and maintenance but I doubt he'll think this is worthwhile either or understand why it could help us long term in getting results on Saturdays.

We're a football league club we need to start acting like one.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
moosey_club
April 11, 2017, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Sussexmariner
It's a serious question, what does Slade need to do in his first 5 months to stop town fans calling for his head?

For 2 months of those 5 he wont be upto much publicly as it will be close season. You arent giving him much time to impress.

Lets face it, he has to assess a whole host of players who are actually out of contract in just a few games to see if he wants to retain them, he will also have to assess the quality of the players he is potentially stuck with so he knows what he needs to look at as a priority in the summer.....
so will he completely change the team to play only those players who are due up to assess and allow him to get an offer on the table to them.....or will he select the team based on wanting to win or at least impress us and his employers for what remains.
Bin off the loanees completely for now in order to see more of "our" players.
Then there are those like Browne, Summerfield, Clifton, Wright who arent even around to assess.  

Not an easy one and personally, i think if i was in charge i would let those out of contract go to give me wriggle room to bring in my own known entities for next season to compliment and fill the gaps around what we already have definately signed up. Sounds harsh but not sure he will be able to offer contracts based solidly on what he can pick up over the next month.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
Jaws
April 12, 2017, 1:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Sussexmariner
It's a serious question, what does Slade need to do in his first 5 months to stop town fans calling for his head?

I'd imagine he'll get a period of grace up to the end of the season but we'll only need a poor pre-season for the boo-boys to be out.

I think we'll make the play-offs next season - I'd like to think people can't argue with making the play-offs in our 2nd season back... though they will.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
GrimRob
April 12, 2017, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
This season has been utterly forgettable so far, it's always going to be remembered as the one after last season's. Mid-table all season and lost every cup game. The most memorable events have largely been off the pitch. The next few months would just have been a countdown to Bignot's sacking in the first third of next year and a probable relegation battle. At least we've changed things, whether it's for the better remains to be seen, but I've glad we've twisted rather than stuck with what we had.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 48
Jaws
April 12, 2017, 2:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Look at the state of the pitch at Cheapside though. It's a right mess.

Starting to get worried by Fentys unwillingness to have the Club spend money on anything which only indirectly helps us and isn't a tangible result like a player who will score a winning goal.

Strength and Conditioning Coach. No they won't pop up in the 90th minute to win us 3 points but such a person could help us to have our best players available more we might otherwise have, so long term it helps us.

Overnight stays before a distant away game to save a long coach trip down on the day has obvious benefits that could help the players in the game but he seems reluctant to entertain this too.

And the pitches both at Blundell Park and Cheapside need investment and maintenance but I doubt he'll think this is worthwhile either or understand why it could help us long term in getting results on Saturdays.

We're a football league club we need to start acting like one.

I'd imagine it's part of an agenda to help get the new stadium. Whilst we are progressing on the pitch I suspect he's quite happy to run the club like this.

If we get to the Fentydome and things don't change then he's clearly stuck in the 90s. However, I reckon he'll probably step away at that point. He's a big fan and doesn't want the club to die on his watch but he seems like he's had enough.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
ginnywings
April 12, 2017, 2:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob
This season has been utterly forgettable so far, it's always going to be remembered as the one after last season's. Mid-table all season and lost every cup game. The most memorable events have largely been off the pitch. The next few months would just have been a countdown to Bignot's sacking in the first third of next year and a probable relegation battle. At least we've changed things, whether it's for the better remains to be seen, but I've glad we've twisted rather than stuck with what we had.

That's GTFC all over in the last decade. What's the betting Lincoln come up and sail past us into League 1? We can't ever seem to get any continuity and prolonged success.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
marinerjase
April 12, 2017, 2:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 147
This....all politics to help push the stadium. Which is what he wants. His 'legacy'

Quoted from Jaws

I'd imagine it's part of an agenda to help get the new stadium. Whilst we are progressing on the pitch I suspect he's quite happy to run the club like this.

If we get to the Fentydome and things don't change then he's clearly stuck in the 90s. However, I reckon he'll probably step away at that point. He's a big fan and doesn't want the club to die on his watch but he seems like he's had enough.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Jaws
April 12, 2017, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
This....all politics to help push the stadium. Which is what he wants. His 'legacy'

To be fair. Unless the stadium gets built, his tenure won't have been classed as a success.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2017, 4:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,873
Gold Stars: 227
Without posting war & peace for once I have a couple of observations reading the above. Firstly I think we would have been closer to getting an S&C coach if the playing wage budget had been better managed by Bignot too many coming in and not enough leaving. The lad that Josh Gowling is working with looks handy BTW.

Ginny mentioned continuity which would be ideal but very hard to achieve on a non league budget and the "one year deal cycle" that clubs at that level are forced to operate

Someone also mentioned prolonged success, does any side other than the big boys have that? Indeed how would you measure that at a club the size of GTFC in a remote medium sized Town.

I think massive mistakes have been made but "it is what it is" we are possibly better served to look at where we sit now. We have dodged a massive bullet with Bignot IMHO, brought in a manager who may have history but has proved capable. We have added a much needed number 2/ attack coach something we have cried out for, we will finish mid table and are well supported. Also there should still be some Omar money left to retain & recruit.

It could be and has been much, much worse!

Sorry it ended up a bit W&P in the end.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › For all you Bignot out fanboys.......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.