Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whoever's in charge....
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 424 Guests

Whoever's in charge....

This thread currently has 5,172 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Stranger in the Park
April 12, 2017, 10:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
There's an irony here. Bignot was "bigged up" massively before he arrived yet failed badly and now all the fans who were taken in by his bullsh*t are finding it hard to admit and so take it out on Slade.So if Slade fails and town sink will these "fans" then be happy.Together with Wilko ,we now have management with loads of league experience which we need to move forward.No matter how much Bignot bigged up his passed achievements in very lower circumstances he was just playing at being a league manager-and how it showed! In any form of management you are only as good as the job you are holding down.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
ginnywings
April 12, 2017, 11:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
There's an irony here. Bignot was "bigged up" massively before he arrived yet failed badly and now all the fans who were taken in by his bullsh*t are finding it hard to admit and so take it out on Slade.So if Slade fails and town sink will these "fans" then be happy.Together with Wilko ,we now have management with loads of league experience which we need to move forward.No matter how much Bignot bigged up his passed achievements in very lower circumstances he was just playing at being a league manager-and how it showed! In any form of management you are only as good as the job you are holding down.  

Firstly, it's only bullshit if you think it is. I didn't, so don't feel taken in at all.

Secondly, very lower circumstances was the league below ours. Hardly a massive jump.

And no, i won't be happy if Slade fails as it will just be another in a long line. I want him to succeed because i want the team to succeed. Whether he does, only time will tell. The same applies to any manager.

I hate it when posters write "fans". Implying that they are not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
mariner91
April 12, 2017, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
It was a much lower level, all of his achievements came at tier 6. And whilst what he did at Solihull was impressive, it took him five years to get them promoted at a semi-professional level. The first four of those seasons they came 19th, 9th, 8th then 12th which is hardly pulling any trees up at a semi-professional level. When he left Solihull they were in the bottom half of the table so whilst not terrible, it was hardly impressive.

At the same time Slade finished 7th, 3rd (league one), 11th and 8th (Championship). So higher finishes in the respective leagues and either three or four divisions higher. Baffles me that some fans think MB would have done better than RS purely because he had one promotion even though it was in a semi-professional league.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
golfer
April 12, 2017, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
He also lost Bogle at solihul and then again here but then again-if you don't think Bogle would make a difference----
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
ginnywings
April 12, 2017, 12:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
It was a much lower level, all of his achievements came at tier 6. And whilst what he did at Solihull was impressive, it took him five years to get them promoted at a semi-professional level. The first four of those seasons they came 19th, 9th, 8th then 12th which is hardly pulling any trees up at a semi-professional level. When he left Solihull they were in the bottom half of the table so whilst not terrible, it was hardly impressive.

At the same time Slade finished 7th, 3rd (league one), 11th and 8th (Championship). So higher finishes in the respective leagues and either three or four divisions higher. Baffles me that some fans think MB would have done better than RS purely because he had one promotion even though it was in a semi-professional league.

I'm baffled too as i could swear you were an MB advocate not so long ago? I also swear you said we could do better than Slade in a post t'other day. Now you are singing his praises too.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
mariner91
April 12, 2017, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
When MB came in I thought he was a breath of fresh air. He said all the right things and, like many, I got carried away with his enthusiasm. The early results, using Hurst's team were also promising. However, after a while it became pretty obvious that he spoke a lot but said little. The team seemed to be going backwards and my first concerns were raised in the Accrington game. Although we won, we were very poor and I said as such, trawl back through the posts if you don't believe me. Real concerns were raised at the debacle that was Stevenage where not only was the performance abysmal but the tactical decisions made by MB during the game were Sunday league. Then followed a multitude of poor performances interspersed with the odd four or five goal drubbing with very few good performances to ease the concerns.

At the same time, rumours of discontent with the players and interviews that were getting stranger and more contradictory by the week were starting to sound off alarm bells. I'm normally one to give a manager time but I've said in private for the last month or so that if I was the board I would get rid before the summer to allow a proper manager to assess the squad and have pre-season with them. MB had shown nothing to foster any faith in his abilities and I feared that losing our better players (Andrew seemed a lot less keen to sign than previously for example) would see us in real trouble next season. I never expected the board to make what is a brave decision but I'm glad they have.

As for Slade, could we do better? Of course we could. He's not a perfect manager, far from it and is certainly divisive given his history with us. But a lot of his former players speak very well about him, he gets team organised and plays to their strength and I'd be surprised if we lose more than we win next season. The addition of a quality coach in Wilkinson is a huge positive and between them they have far more experience and  contacts in the football league than MB and his team.

I'm not saying I think we'll run away with he league next season with Slade in charge. But I was extremely worried about next season and now I'm quietly looking forward to it.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
ginnywings
April 12, 2017, 12:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Fair enough '91. It wasn't any kind of accusation i was making, so not going to trawl through your posts. We say it how we see it and i've made no secret of my wish for MB to have been given more time. Perhaps it just took me longer to see the light because i really didn't like Hurst and so wanted MB to succeed. I really thought he could be the next Buckley but am not too proud to say i was wrong.

It's time to forget the whole MB experiment and get behind the new duo, which i will do and hope next season, the team go out and do us proud. I really hope that these two unite the players and the fans, as it seems a long time since we had a manager that everyone got behind without question.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2017, 12:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Think the Trust rep is on holiday so i am told?

Oh good! Scope for more conspiracy theories on the timing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
TownSNAFU5
April 12, 2017, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
When you look at NL success,  the Cowley brothers have a far more impressive record over time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
grimsby pete
April 12, 2017, 1:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Cloudy

Think the Trust rep is on holiday so i am told?

He might think Marcus is still in charge then,

He will get a shock when he returns.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whoever's in charge....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.