3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
April 10, 2017, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Lets see how many actually think this would be a good or poor appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GyMariner
April 10, 2017, 10:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
I think people have to judge him on what's currently available, unless the view is to ride it out until the end of the season?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
MuddyWaters
April 10, 2017, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Now's not the time for shitlikethis. Time for fans to be real fans and back the club.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Marinerz93
April 10, 2017, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I clicked no view, I didn't read the full line, can you add me to the poor appointment.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
OllieGTFC
April 10, 2017, 10:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Honestly don't think he as bad as everyone is making out he is, to be fair he gets results yes he never had promotion but he has been very close and one of them is with us, he had one of the best seasons with us, come on we gave Buckley three chances so why can't others ? It can go one way or another let's find out which way

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Marinerz93
April 10, 2017, 10:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I struggle to forgive Slade for the non performance of that final.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
mariner91
April 10, 2017, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253
I put no view but my opinion is that whilst not an overly ambitious move, he'll do a lot better than Bignot would have.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
promotion plaice
April 10, 2017, 11:36pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

I'm not saying Slade is the best option, but he has managed at a lot higher level and his contacts in the game must be pretty good by now going on the clubs he has managed.

If Slade does get the job I wouldn't have a problem getting another season ticket.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Bradford Mariner
April 11, 2017, 9:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 2
This will be an uninspiring, unimaginative, unambitious appointment and will deliver an uninspiring, unimaginative, unambitious style of football which will fail to draw fans to BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Bigdog
April 11, 2017, 9:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I don't think the result of the poll can tell us anything about whether the fans approve of Slade or not. I think the votes for good appointment are skewed in Slade's favour because some fans will vote that way as they are only comparing Slade to Bignot.

There are a lot of good managers out there without JF digging out his contacts from his old dusty filofax. Mansfield got Evans and they survive on average gates that are way below ours.

If there was another poll with a proper menu of decent available managers, Slade would hardly get a vote.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 9:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Bigdog
I don't think the result of the poll can tell us anything about whether the fans approve of Slade or not. I think the votes for good appointment are skewed in Slade's favour because some fans will vote that way as they are only comparing Slade to Bignot.

There are a lot of good managers out there without JF digging out his contacts from his old dusty filofax. Mansfield got Evans and they survive on average gates that are way below ours.

If there was another poll with a proper menu of decent available managers, Slade would hardly get a vote.  

Slade wouldn't get a vote from me in any poll. Backwards, boring, safe option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
TownSNAFU5
April 11, 2017, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
The more relevant question is "is Slade the best appointment for the club, given the managers available now?".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
grimsby pete
April 11, 2017, 9:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Marinerz93
I clicked no view, I didn't read the full line, can you add me to the poor appointment.

NO !!!!!!!!!

Read the full question next time  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
April 11, 2017, 10:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
We are league 2, we aren't going to play like Barcelona.

But we do know, is despite not getting any promotions, Slade knows how to get results!

he won 39% of his games when he was here, in 105 games

Nigel Adkins, who everyone is screaming for, won 41% of his games at Scunthorpe... and was sacked from his last 2 jobs

Steve Evans, Who people also wanted before Bignot, wont 36% of his games at leeds, who are a club fighting to get back into the Premiership, and was sacked aswell...

Just because Slade has been sacked from previous jobs, doesn't mean he is a rubbish manager, and just because he hasn't had a promotion, doesn't mean he will be unable to get a team promoted.

He took over at Brighton when they was 3rd from bottom in league 1, and they finished 16 out of 24 winning 5 of their last 7 games - incredible for a team fighting relegation

He took over Leyton Orient when they was 5th from bottom in league 1, and they finished 17 out of 24 - and then went on to finish 7th the season after, 1 point of the play offs

I think some fans need a small reality check!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Bradford Mariner
April 11, 2017, 12:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
We are league 2, we aren't going to play like Barcelona.

But we do know, is despite not getting any promotions, Slade knows how to get results!

he won 39% of his games when he was here, in 105 games

Nigel Adkins, who everyone is screaming for, won 41% of his games at Scunthorpe... and was sacked from his last 2 jobs

Steve Evans, Who people also wanted before Bignot, wont 36% of his games at leeds, who are a club fighting to get back into the Premiership, and was sacked aswell...

Just because Slade has been sacked from previous jobs, doesn't mean he is a rubbish manager, and just because he hasn't had a promotion, doesn't mean he will be unable to get a team promoted.

He took over at Brighton when they was 3rd from bottom in league 1, and they finished 16 out of 24 winning 5 of their last 7 games - incredible for a team fighting relegation

He took over Leyton Orient when they was 5th from bottom in league 1, and they finished 17 out of 24 - and then went on to finish 7th the season after, 1 point of the play offs

I think some fans need a small reality check!

So the best we can hope for is to remain a L2 team then?

A manager without a single promotion on his CV in all his years and experience in management and JF thinks this will be the man to take the club forward.

Priceless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
April 11, 2017, 12:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

So the best we can hope for is to remain a L2 team then?

A manager without a single promotion on his CV in all his years and experience in management and JF thinks this will be the man to take the club forward.

Priceless.

1st for everything....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
chipsandgravy
April 11, 2017, 1:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Not sure what to make on the last 24 hours if I am honest - but one thing I am sure is Slade is a depressing appointment to me - safe and uninspiring in just about every way. I have to admit that for the first time for a long time that I was getting slightly dis-engaged with the team although I couldn't really put my finger on why. Bignot's appointment was for me a 'one for the future' decision and like any young player with potential they are inconsistent. So was Bignot as he adapted to the step up. Too many changes and a baffling system of play certainly didn't help but in many ways I was actually looking forward to the close season to see his plans develop further.
At Solihull he was the big fish and by all accounts did everything including paying the wages. Maybe the step up was harder for him than he thought and tried to talk his way out a little too much. However It's become an all too depressing feature that (allegedly) senior pro's can hold the power base. I actually quite liked his openness and to some extent his naivety and its nonsense to be given just 6 months. We can accept players mistakes whilst we label them with potential but cannot with a manager. Too many fans turned too soon on him and is another depressing feature of our game.
If your not prepared to give a young and ambitious manager time the all you get is a Russell Slade or a Dave Jones.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
marinette
April 11, 2017, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I wasn't always a fan of Slade, but whether they were playing pretty football or not so pretty, his Grimsby sides were usually well organised.  I think he's capable of identifying and bringing in decent players and motivating them, and he'll have made a lot of new contacts during his time away.  Of course there were good and bad times under his leadership - but it's been a while - he will have made many more mistakes since then, and hopefully learnt from them.  I feel strangely excited at the idea of him coming back now, and if it does happen, I'm ready to support him.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Cloudy
April 11, 2017, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Not sure what to make on the last 24 hours if I am honest - but one thing I am sure is Slade is a depressing appointment to me - safe and uninspiring in just about every way. I have to admit that for the first time for a long time that I was getting slightly dis-engaged with the team although I couldn't really put my finger on why. Bignot's appointment was for me a 'one for the future' decision and like any young player with potential they are inconsistent. So was Bignot as he adapted to the step up. Too many changes and a baffling system of play certainly didn't help but in many ways I was actually looking forward to the close season to see his plans develop further.
At Solihull he was the big fish and by all accounts did everything including paying the wages. Maybe the step up was harder for him than he thought and tried to talk his way out a little too much. However It's become an all too depressing feature that (allegedly) senior pro's can hold the power base. I actually quite liked his openness and to some extent his naivety and its nonsense to be given just 6 months. We can accept players mistakes whilst we label them with potential but cannot with a manager. Too many fans turned too soon on him and is another depressing feature of our game.
If your not prepared to give a young and ambitious manager time the all you get is a Russell Slade or a Dave Jones.

whilst i disagree with the overall message of your post the bit about disengagement rings true with me. Perhaps it was the fact we had one new side in the summer (not unusual) and then another by the end of January.

It seems that his 'Openess' and willingness to chat contained little by way of facts (according to the players at least).

As for Slade (assuming it is him) he has a lot more knowledge than he did 12 years ago and frankly we havent approached those heights since he left. Managing a side to the top 8 in the Championship recently isnt to be sniffed at. Any other manager at this level beat that??

I'm quite looking forward to having a proper management style rather than a bull in a china shop approach
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
forza ivano
April 11, 2017, 1:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
And of course you have to think of who we might have got - poor old Granada fans have got the prospect of tony adams as their new manager!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Garth
April 11, 2017, 2:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
You can say whatever you like regarding Bignot`s time here, but if it came to the players v Bignot it just would not have worked and would have totally disrupted the club, thanks to JF to have acted to prevent that.

Choice between Hurst, Bignot and Slade

Hurst   steady Eddy,   Bignot  trying to run before he could walk,  Slade   did OK whilst he was here but could walk again if offered a more lucrative position.

I would be ok with Slade as his contacts and knowledge of League one and Championship
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
TAGG
April 11, 2017, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
SLADE OUT 👍

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Mariner_09
April 11, 2017, 6:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Can we please have Hurst back?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
chipsandgravy
April 11, 2017, 6:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
It's a funny old game. Came away from Blackpool thinking that although there wasn't a massive amount of quality the team as a whole put a real shift in for Bignot and a good response to Donny. It's never easy supporting Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
pontoon442
April 11, 2017, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -261
Gold Stars: 5
Slade out....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
April 11, 2017, 6:59pm
Guest User
Well, I'll not be parting with my money for another season ticket. I bought 3 last year. I REALLY DISLIKE THIS MAN. Sacked 3 times in less than a year. He's past his sell by date. Whatever people think Bignot is a young manager on his way up. Slade is yesterdays man on the slide. Slade, I'd rather have Noddy not Russell.
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.