ginnywings
April 11, 2017, 9:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog
I don't think the result of the poll can tell us anything about whether the fans approve of Slade or not. I think the votes for good appointment are skewed in Slade's favour because some fans will vote that way as they are only comparing Slade to Bignot.

There are a lot of good managers out there without JF digging out his contacts from his old dusty filofax. Mansfield got Evans and they survive on average gates that are way below ours.

If there was another poll with a proper menu of decent available managers, Slade would hardly get a vote.  

Slade wouldn't get a vote from me in any poll. Backwards, boring, safe option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
TownSNAFU5
April 11, 2017, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
The more relevant question is "is Slade the best appointment for the club, given the managers available now?".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
grimsby pete
April 11, 2017, 9:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Marinerz93
I clicked no view, I didn't read the full line, can you add me to the poor appointment.

NO !!!!!!!!!

Read the full question next time  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
April 11, 2017, 10:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
We are league 2, we aren't going to play like Barcelona.

But we do know, is despite not getting any promotions, Slade knows how to get results!

he won 39% of his games when he was here, in 105 games

Nigel Adkins, who everyone is screaming for, won 41% of his games at Scunthorpe... and was sacked from his last 2 jobs

Steve Evans, Who people also wanted before Bignot, wont 36% of his games at leeds, who are a club fighting to get back into the Premiership, and was sacked aswell...

Just because Slade has been sacked from previous jobs, doesn't mean he is a rubbish manager, and just because he hasn't had a promotion, doesn't mean he will be unable to get a team promoted.

He took over at Brighton when they was 3rd from bottom in league 1, and they finished 16 out of 24 winning 5 of their last 7 games - incredible for a team fighting relegation

He took over Leyton Orient when they was 5th from bottom in league 1, and they finished 17 out of 24 - and then went on to finish 7th the season after, 1 point of the play offs

I think some fans need a small reality check!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Bradford Mariner
April 11, 2017, 12:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
We are league 2, we aren't going to play like Barcelona.

But we do know, is despite not getting any promotions, Slade knows how to get results!

he won 39% of his games when he was here, in 105 games

Nigel Adkins, who everyone is screaming for, won 41% of his games at Scunthorpe... and was sacked from his last 2 jobs

Steve Evans, Who people also wanted before Bignot, wont 36% of his games at leeds, who are a club fighting to get back into the Premiership, and was sacked aswell...

Just because Slade has been sacked from previous jobs, doesn't mean he is a rubbish manager, and just because he hasn't had a promotion, doesn't mean he will be unable to get a team promoted.

He took over at Brighton when they was 3rd from bottom in league 1, and they finished 16 out of 24 winning 5 of their last 7 games - incredible for a team fighting relegation

He took over Leyton Orient when they was 5th from bottom in league 1, and they finished 17 out of 24 - and then went on to finish 7th the season after, 1 point of the play offs

I think some fans need a small reality check!

So the best we can hope for is to remain a L2 team then?

A manager without a single promotion on his CV in all his years and experience in management and JF thinks this will be the man to take the club forward.

Priceless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
April 11, 2017, 12:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

So the best we can hope for is to remain a L2 team then?

A manager without a single promotion on his CV in all his years and experience in management and JF thinks this will be the man to take the club forward.

Priceless.

1st for everything....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
chipsandgravy
April 11, 2017, 1:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Not sure what to make on the last 24 hours if I am honest - but one thing I am sure is Slade is a depressing appointment to me - safe and uninspiring in just about every way. I have to admit that for the first time for a long time that I was getting slightly dis-engaged with the team although I couldn't really put my finger on why. Bignot's appointment was for me a 'one for the future' decision and like any young player with potential they are inconsistent. So was Bignot as he adapted to the step up. Too many changes and a baffling system of play certainly didn't help but in many ways I was actually looking forward to the close season to see his plans develop further.
At Solihull he was the big fish and by all accounts did everything including paying the wages. Maybe the step up was harder for him than he thought and tried to talk his way out a little too much. However It's become an all too depressing feature that (allegedly) senior pro's can hold the power base. I actually quite liked his openness and to some extent his naivety and its nonsense to be given just 6 months. We can accept players mistakes whilst we label them with potential but cannot with a manager. Too many fans turned too soon on him and is another depressing feature of our game.
If your not prepared to give a young and ambitious manager time the all you get is a Russell Slade or a Dave Jones.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
marinette
April 11, 2017, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I wasn't always a fan of Slade, but whether they were playing pretty football or not so pretty, his Grimsby sides were usually well organised.  I think he's capable of identifying and bringing in decent players and motivating them, and he'll have made a lot of new contacts during his time away.  Of course there were good and bad times under his leadership - but it's been a while - he will have made many more mistakes since then, and hopefully learnt from them.  I feel strangely excited at the idea of him coming back now, and if it does happen, I'm ready to support him.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Cloudy
April 11, 2017, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Not sure what to make on the last 24 hours if I am honest - but one thing I am sure is Slade is a depressing appointment to me - safe and uninspiring in just about every way. I have to admit that for the first time for a long time that I was getting slightly dis-engaged with the team although I couldn't really put my finger on why. Bignot's appointment was for me a 'one for the future' decision and like any young player with potential they are inconsistent. So was Bignot as he adapted to the step up. Too many changes and a baffling system of play certainly didn't help but in many ways I was actually looking forward to the close season to see his plans develop further.
At Solihull he was the big fish and by all accounts did everything including paying the wages. Maybe the step up was harder for him than he thought and tried to talk his way out a little too much. However It's become an all too depressing feature that (allegedly) senior pro's can hold the power base. I actually quite liked his openness and to some extent his naivety and its nonsense to be given just 6 months. We can accept players mistakes whilst we label them with potential but cannot with a manager. Too many fans turned too soon on him and is another depressing feature of our game.
If your not prepared to give a young and ambitious manager time the all you get is a Russell Slade or a Dave Jones.

whilst i disagree with the overall message of your post the bit about disengagement rings true with me. Perhaps it was the fact we had one new side in the summer (not unusual) and then another by the end of January.

It seems that his 'Openess' and willingness to chat contained little by way of facts (according to the players at least).

As for Slade (assuming it is him) he has a lot more knowledge than he did 12 years ago and frankly we havent approached those heights since he left. Managing a side to the top 8 in the Championship recently isnt to be sniffed at. Any other manager at this level beat that??

I'm quite looking forward to having a proper management style rather than a bull in a china shop approach
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
forza ivano
April 11, 2017, 1:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
And of course you have to think of who we might have got - poor old Granada fans have got the prospect of tony adams as their new manager!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.