MarinerDevil
April 9, 2017, 5:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
I think the warning signs have been there since November:

Bignot is a good manager and will take us forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
lukeo
April 9, 2017, 5:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
For me now we should look at Easter weekend and say we want to aim for 6 points but be happy with 4. Cambridge aren't a bad side and cheltenham are fighting for survival.. Im just slightly concerned he'll change the team around because we have 3 games in 9 days. To me jusr drop the training load for a week or two. Sadly we have fans who will come only based on results so let's get some wins under our belts and get people in the gates next season.

To add as I haven't posted for a while. Very happy with the result, seen the goals and they're all good in their own ways. Jones looks a good catch.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
jimgtfc
April 9, 2017, 5:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Yesterday was definitely a positive result, nothing negative to say about it. What I would say is that I'd like to see some consistency between now and the end of the season. I'm not saying we should win every game, but we need to back results up, starting with Cambridge on good Friday.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Cloudy
April 9, 2017, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from jimgtfc
Yesterday was definitely a positive result, nothing negative to say about it. What I would say is that I'd like to see some consistency between now and the end of the season. I'm not saying we should win every game, but we need to back results up, starting with Cambridge on good Friday.

I certainly think the home fans deserve a rousing finish. A win v Cambridge would be great and follow that up by taking 3 points v Yeovil. That just leaves the last game when we should go hung ho attack v Plymouth who no doubt win be promoted well before then.

Hopefully end the season on a positive note, get season tickets on sale immediately and try and get a war chest together to give promotion  challenge  a real go
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
grimslaa
April 9, 2017, 7:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +75
Quoted from HotToddy
Putting today's win into perspective, we were poor today but Blackpool were poorer. We were under far more pressure than they were but our goals came at good times. I'm not saying it is all bad but it was an awful game today and i can't see it getting any better under Bignot.

So what I'm reading from that is we defended well as we were under pressure, but we scored with the chances we had. Sounds like a brilliant performance to me!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
ginnywings
April 9, 2017, 8:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from HotToddy
Putting today's win into perspective, we were poor today but Blackpool were poorer. We were under far more pressure than they were but our goals came at good times. I'm not saying it is all bad but it was an awful game today and i can't see it getting any better under Bignot.

Your perspective obviously as most seem quite chuffed with the performance. I also don't understand how Blackpool were poorer than us, yet we were under far more pressure than them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
Mrs Doyle
April 10, 2017, 9:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I thought we deserved that yeah we needed to defend well which we did. Their defence always looked vulnerable in the air and on the break.

Sam Jones took his goals very well and the fact the only goal they scored was an unfortunate own goal (brilliant diving header) says a lot about how well we kept them out.

Vose also calmed things down near the end and was so close to getting a forth all in all a superb TEAM effort well done lads and well done to Bignot we looked more like 442 to me and covered the flanks better.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
diehardmariner
April 10, 2017, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
No denying that it was a great win and I think very few of us expected that going into the weekend.

That said I do understand what the original poster is saying.  Whilst I thought we looked a lot more organised than we have in recent weeks, especially in terms of shape, I still think we look disjointed.  I fully understand that it's about trying things at this stage and seeing how pairings work together but I would be concerned if that's our midfield going into next season.   Clements is tidy and I actually think there's a role for someone like him in the team, someone who does the unspectacular role.  Gunning doesn't look anywhere near mobile enough to be in midfield and Dan Jones simply doesn't look a midfielder.  In Jones' defence when it was his turn to slot in on the left he did a decent job of helping Andrew out, which also allowed the full-back to bomb on a bit more.  Jamey Osborne has the ability to be a massive player for us, providing we can get him over his shin splints and as a result producing some sort of consistency.  He, however, is never a right winger.    

Up top Sam Jones gets better with each game and has the rare ability to score both great and ugly goals.  He's got a little bit of everything in his locker and I think we've got ourselves a very, very good player who will go onto make us a lot of money in the near future.  Not quite sure why Bignot is persisting with Callum Dyson when we've got our own players in the building, unless there's a deal in place for next season.   If there is I'm not sure they are the best pairing, too similar for my liking with Jones edging the Everton lad in every department.  

The game itself we were the better team and deserved the win but Blackpool were poor.  It highlights the weakness of this league when they are in the position they are.  Perhaps it was a bad day at the office for them, which wouldn't be unusual as very few teams seem capable of consistency.

What worries me the most is that we were sold the line of we're doing our pre-season now so we can hit the ground running next season.  But by my reckoning we've got a right-back (Mills), a central midfielder (Clements), another central midfielder/lad playing out on the right (Osborne) and a striker (Sam Jones) who are here next season from the core of players Bignot seems to favour.  That doesn't even represent a spine of the team.   I know there's Yussuf, Asante, Berrett, Summerfield and a few others under contract but Bignot seems reluctant to use them, even the ones he's signed.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
chaos33
April 10, 2017, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I think this particularly applies to Yussuf who Bignot doesn't seem to fancy at the moment and hasn't told us he's injured. Obviously Asante has been injured which has prevented his selection.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Mrs Doyle
April 10, 2017, 11:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Good points Diehard the thing that concerned me was the amount of daft free kicks we concede and the deepness we defend Osborne has good awareness and can turn players around Mills is solid,Andrew is better we desperately need him and a worthy partner on that flank. Sam Jones is the real deal for me he as goals in him as he is proving need a striking partner for him to link up with love to see Asante s that man. I think the pieces are there just need to find the best set up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It just papers over the cracks

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.