3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 26, 2017, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Have to say that Alli was a problem today. Just too slow to move it on and dwelt on the ball much too often rather than letting the ball do the work.

That said, though it was a dull, dull game, the performance and result was generally acceptable.

I'd imagine the next match against the Jocks ought to be a more interesting affair!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
RichMariner
March 26, 2017, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
England players seem to impress so much more in the Premier League where games are open and they have spaces to move into when playing more counter-attacking football.

So when it comes to playing the likes of Lithuania it's almost literally a whole different ball game.

We're doing enough to win these games, so can't complain too much. But I agree with what's been said about going more direct - or at least having a more direct option on the bench.

These minnows have really stepped it up defensively, so the one thing they wouldn't expect is if we rolled out someone like Carroll and lumped it to him.

It won't happen, but it made me wonder the same thing this afternoon.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
ginnywings
March 26, 2017, 10:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
When we played direct, everyone complained we were miles behind the leading nations. Now we are trying a different, more mobile game plan, folk are suggesting we hit it long to a target man.

I'm quite happy with what Southgate is trying to do. We may not have quite enough technical excellence to achieve it, but at least we don't start games with players like Milner nowadays. The team, the manager and the direction shows some promise for me and none of the leading lights in Europe had emphatic wins this weekend against some mediocre opposition, apart from maybe Germany but thy are well, Germany.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
promotion plaice
March 26, 2017, 10:50pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from ginnywings
When we played direct, everyone complained we were miles behind the leading nations. Now we are trying a different, more mobile game plan, folk are suggesting we hit it long to a target man.

I'm quite happy with what Southgate is trying to do. We may not have quite enough technical excellence to achieve it, but at least we don't start games with players like Milner nowadays. The team, the manager and the direction shows some promise for me and none of the leading lights in Europe had emphatic wins this weekend against some mediocre opposition , apart from maybe Germany but thy are well, Germany.

Holland even sacked their manager.........we are going to win tournaments now though, the Germans are going to tell us how to do it.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Bigdog
March 27, 2017, 11:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It'll all come together post-Brexit.

Never won 'owt while we've been a member of the EU..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
bigdavemariner
March 27, 2017, 11:30am
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
Was at the game yesterday. Not sure if it's always like that but the atmosphere was dreadful. You get glared at for raising your voice and got daggers from the bloke in front for me not standing up for Lithuanias national anthem.

Good weekend away in London though. Alot harder than you'd think to find a weatherspoons haha

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 27, 2017, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I wonder what the team selection and the result would have been if Allardyce was still manager?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Gaffer58
March 27, 2017, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
I seem to be confused over the Rooney situation, at 31 England's top goal scorer and can play more than one position he is being cast as past it, whereas Defoe at 34 is only a striker( I know he scored yesterday!) is now our saviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
moosey_club
March 27, 2017, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Gaffer58
I seem to be confused over the Rooney situation, at 31 England's top goal scorer and can play more than one position he is being cast as past it, whereas Defoe at 34 is only a striker( I know he scored yesterday!) is now our saviour.

Leading "fit" English goalscorer in our domestic League i believe.....its qualification, we need to win the games to progress. Defoe does one thing, shoots on sight and by and large hits the target, virtually every time ,which is alot more than can be said for the 100's of millions pounds worth of "talent" playing around him last night.

He may not be the long term future of England but what we all crave is some sort of competition success...and for that you need someone to score goals.....last tournament we had Kane as our leading hope going into it and he was fking awful under the spotlight. Rooney has not consistently produced at any big tournament despite his so called "world class striker" tag so lets not go down that route, he doesnt stay in threatening positions and ends up taking the ball off the back four 20 yards in our own half...not what we need from a striker.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Bigdog
March 27, 2017, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Gaffer58

Age should not be a measure of value of contribution. Defoe has scored more than half of a struggling Sunderland side's goals in the past two seasons. I'm struggling to think what Rooney has contributed to Manure or England in the same period.

Some players age quicker than others, some have injuries that draw their careers to end quicker than others.

A fit and in-form Defoe is a short term sticking plaster for England that may have to last until the World Cup. We also may not need him.

But, I can't for the life of me imagine how the Rooney of the past couple of seasons can offer more to the team than the wealth of talent we have in the number 10 role. Lallana has been awesome and blossoming as an international player being one example.

Time to move on and build for the future. Having said that, the present isn't too bad anyway. I really don't think we need to start shoehorning Rooney into the England team again. Look what happened at the Euros.

Two different scenarios. Defoe is a nice back up plan to have in a defined position. Including Rooney affects how the whole team plays.

A fresh start with a new manager should be exactly that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Vs Lithuania     

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.