7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
March 20, 2017, 7:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
I have always liked Macca but feel since the bother earlier it has affected him. A few goals are scored against us where he has got his hands to the ball to make a save but doesn't either control it or get it out of play or to safety . The majority of the influx of foreign keepers seem to have the same fault- a lot of goals even in the premiership are scored from rebounds from the keeper. One could see the qualities in Henderson in not only making a save but ensuring the ball went to safety-but he's not for us. I would keep Macca but I think he will be going at the end of season as his personal choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
grimsby pete
March 20, 2017, 8:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The art of being a good keeper is if you can not hold the ball you put I tout of the danger area,

Macca has not done this a few times this season , yesterday was one example.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Maringer
March 20, 2017, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
Macca could perhaps have done a bit better with the free-kick but it was a decent initial save and I'm always looking at the defence in those situations. It's their job to get ahead of the attackers to win any second ball and they were absent.

Paul Robinson made a career out of pushing shots back into the middle of the box and he played for England so all keepers make that error from time to time! I certainly agree that McKeown has looked edgy after all the upset earlier this year and wouldn't be surprised to see him leave this summer. Subjectively, I think he's a decent keeper and doesn't make any more errors than most at this level but many of the fans definitely aren't with him any longer.

I'm guessing he was slightly drunk off with the way that Henderson somehow became an instant cult hero with a section of the fans after a couple of decent saves. It certainly left me a bit bemused at the time. That said, I'd be happy enough if he was to return on a season-long loan though I think this highly unlikely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 9:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from golfer
I have always liked Macca but feel since the bother earlier it has affected him. A few goals are scored against us where he has got his hands to the ball to make a save but doesn't either control it or get it out of play or to safety . The majority of the influx of foreign keepers seem to have the same fault- a lot of goals even in the premiership are scored from rebounds from the keeper. One could see the qualities in Henderson in not only making a save but ensuring the ball went to safety-but he's not for us. I would keep Macca but I think he will be going at the end of season as his personal choice

Up until last season James did have a habit of not being able to secure shots especially around his body especially when he's going to ground but with the arrival of Andy Warrington that alongside other areas of his game such as decision making appeared to come together and he carried it into this season. Since the transfer request business it looks like some of his flaws have surfaced again.

I really like James you only have to look at him in the warm up with that little lad on Saturday to tell he's a decent bloke. I also remember how fired up he was before the PO semi away at Braintree but still engaged with the fans before & after the game. I still think playing for GTFC means a lot to him but also believe he's quite "high maintenance" and possibly alongside Gavin Gunning represents Marcus's biggest man management challenge in the squad. With a view to next season will he be seen as a "Diva" or an essential senior player? Not sure at this stage but no doubt we will see once the window opens.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Up until last season James did have a habit of not being able to secure shots especially around his body especially when he's going to ground but with the arrival of Andy Warrington that alongside other areas of his game such as decision making appeared to come together and he carried it into this season. Since the transfer request business it looks like some of his flaws have surfaced again.

I really like James you only have to look at him in the warm up with that little lad on Saturday to tell he's a decent bloke. I also remember how fired up he was before the PO semi away at Braintree but still engaged with the fans before & after the game. I still think playing for GTFC means a lot to him but also believe he's quite "high maintenance" and possibly alongside Gavin Gunning represents Marcus's biggest man management challenge in the squad. With a view to next season will he be seen as a "Diva" or an essential senior player? Not sure at this stage but no doubt we will see once the window opens.

At this level, he's OK. In the Conference he looked decent but obviously people who know don't see him as any better otherwise he wouldn't still be with us. Too many goals this season have been attributable to keeper errors.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Grantley
March 20, 2017, 9:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I actually think he's regressed. If you remember the levels he was at in 12/13 and 13/14, can anyone say that he's improved since then?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MuddyWaters

At this level, he's OK. In the Conference he looked decent but obviously people who know don't see him as any better otherwise he wouldn't still be with us. Too many goals this season have been attributable to keeper errors.

Yeah agree with that TBH, we do know that there was an offer for him which everybody assumed came from Shrewsbury but to my knowledge that was never confirmed. I also understand Marcus was in for a keeper on deadline day but just could not get it over the line in time, if that deal had been done then he may have gone in January. Looking at James over the last few seasons it would be hard to see where he could go up a level or to a Donny/Portsmouth etc... L2 club and be first choice.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Garth
March 20, 2017, 10:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Unfortunately for James, Henderson came in and after a lengthy wait became the fans favourite over night; he was / is a cut above this level and if still here would probably get the nod over James.
I think James has reached his ceiling now and has in his own mind felt insecure playing for Town since Hendy gate.
Regarding Boyce he should now get a game with Collins getting a red as like Pearson he is a dominant player, unless Marcus's favourite makes ano apearance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Garth
Unfortunately for James, Henderson came in and after a lengthy wait became the fans favourite over night; he was / is a cut above this level and if still here would probably get the nod over James.
I think James has reached his ceiling now and has in his own mind felt insecure playing for Town since Hendy gate.
Regarding Boyce he should now get a game with Collins getting a red as like Pearson he is a dominant player, unless Marcus's favourite makes ano apearance

If it were Pearson missing a game I'd go with Boyce but Gunning being left footed makes him a more natural replacement for Collins.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
Maringer
March 20, 2017, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
I'd probably give Gunning a try to see if he's actually much good at centre-half. He's only made one or two brief appearances in the position that I can recall and he ought to be closer to full fitness than back then, as well as knowing his teammates better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Loan Players - 8 games left

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.