Reply: 31 - 61
Grantley
March 19, 2017, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Gowling isn't good enough. I think there's a player in Boyce. I'd also like to see Gunning in his natural position.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
Mariner_09
March 19, 2017, 8:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I do wonder why Gowling is so massively out of favour. He's got everything Boyce has got plus some more aggression. He also has the ability to use both feet. I think we've missed Toto this year, he'd be perfect for that right sided centre half role, plus Nolan would have thrived in a midfield three.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
MuddyWaters
March 19, 2017, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mariner_09
I do wonder why Gowling is so massively out of favour. He's got everything Boyce has got plus some more aggression. He also has the ability to use both feet. I think we've missed Toto this year, he'd be perfect for that right sided centre half role, plus Nolan would have thrived in a midfield three.

So we'd have been top of the clean sheets list with Toto as opposed to being second behind Pompey.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Mariner_09
March 19, 2017, 9:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I think Toto offered more than just as a stopper. I know he dropped clangers but he could play wonderful cross field balls and could carry the ball forward and was also very athletic, had something our other centre halves don't.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Maringer
March 19, 2017, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Hate to say it, but I'd be surprised if Clifton and Venney get much of a look in next season. I'd assume Disley will be going along with Summerfield, and Berrett will perhaps go as well but that still leaves Clements, Osborne, Jones and probably McAllister. Would either Clifton or Venney get much game time with these senior pros available? If not, they need to be playing somewhere, but I'm not convinced we'll be able to keep them on the books for another year. With this in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see them leave.

I personally wouldn't be interested in re-signing Comley as he just disappears too much of the time - yesterday a case in point. Not quick enough in thought or deed for me, I'm afraid, even when he is getting involved.

I'm also less than convinced about Gunning, but that's perhaps just because he's mainly been played in a midfield role. I get the impression he'll be with us next season so let's hope he proves to be a decent centre-half when properly fit.

As for Dyson, I don't mind him but not sure he's up to leading the line at a lower division club just yet. Will he have matured enough to do the job well enough in 6 months time? Not sure. I suppose he might be able to join on a season-long loan, but I'd imagine there would be the expectation he would have to start most of the time and that would limit our options considerably.

I'd be happy enough for both Collins and Boyce to stay as I think both have something to offer. Despite his recent errors, I think there is probably one more season left in Collins and Boyce has played decently in his recent appearances that I've seen.

I think our success or lack thereof next season will depend on which attacking players that Bignot is able to sign in the summer. I think we have the basis of a decent defence and some potential in central midfield, but we're very light in wide positions and don't have enough of a threat up front as it stands. We're badly in need of some pace as well - whether Browne comes back to add some of that or whether Asante develops further will be interesting to see, but I think we'll also need another quick attacker or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Mrs Doyle
March 19, 2017, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Mariner_09
I think Toto offered more than just as a stopper. I know he dropped clangers but he could play wonderful cross field balls and could carry the ball forward and was also very athletic, had something our other centre halves don't.

Halifax away nuff said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2017, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Maringer
Hate to say it, but I'd be surprised if Clifton and Venney get much of a look in next season. I'd assume Disley will be going along with Summerfield, and Berrett will perhaps go as well but that still leaves Clements, Osborne, Jones and probably McAllister. Would either Clifton or Venney get much game time with these senior pros available? If not, they need to be playing somewhere, but I'm not convinced we'll be able to keep them on the books for another year. With this in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see them leave.

I personally wouldn't be interested in re-signing Comley as he just disappears too much of the time - yesterday a case in point. Not quick enough in thought or deed for me, I'm afraid, even when he is getting involved.

I'm also less than convinced about Gunning, but that's perhaps just because he's mainly been played in a midfield role. I get the impression he'll be with us next season so let's hope he proves to be a decent centre-half when properly fit.

As for Dyson, I don't mind him but not sure he's up to leading the line at a lower division club just yet. Will he have matured enough to do the job well enough in 6 months time? Not sure. I suppose he might be able to join on a season-long loan, but I'd imagine there would be the expectation he would have to start most of the time and that would limit our options considerably.

I'd be happy enough for both Collins and Boyce to stay as I think both have something to offer. Despite his recent errors, I think there is probably one more season left in Collins and Boyce has played decently in his recent appearances that I've seen.

I think our success or lack thereof next season will depend on which attacking players that Bignot is able to sign in the summer. I think we have the basis of a decent defence and some potential in central midfield, but we're very light in wide positions and don't have enough of a threat up front as it stands. We're badly in need of some pace as well - whether Browne comes back to add some of that or whether Asante develops further will be interesting to see, but I think we'll also need another quick attacker or two.

I'm with this as well, what I would say is that you may see Venney and Clifton stay as I would assume in reality they are probably on not much more money than minimum wage, they will possibly then go back out at some time I'm sure.

Also agree that the main issue is in attack as we currently only have one quick wide option and currently no "Jonny on the spot" or "fast as fcuk" strikers. Yesterday was a good example of this when Osborne played a couple of really good balls across the 6 yard box the striker/s where MIA. Finding such strikers who can start making a real difference from day 1 will be a challenge IMHO.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
Mrs Doyle
March 20, 2017, 4:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Of  Dyson. Jones,Yussuf, Asante and Vernon only Jones seems the real deal though Dyson looks like he could develop into a good striker, Early days yet but would like to see Asante making more of a impact to be honest.

Tombola and another fast wide man on the other side would be my priority.

Really can not see Macca wanting to stay he seems nervous and under scrutiny every game. He made a good initial save from the free kick but really our defence should have been marking up to prevent their goal don't blame him for that like some did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Loan Players - 8 games left

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.