19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantley
March 14, 2017, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
First two goals were very lucky. 3rd and 4th were poor goalkeeping. If Mckeown holds himself in as high regard as is rumoured, he needs to take a look at himself. Any pressure on him and he crumbles.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 184
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2017, 11:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
First two goals were fortunate for them. Don't know if they count as shots on target. No way were they going in but for wicked deflections.Third and 4th were just so avoidable.

But all night they were able to exploit the space on our left flank. No one in front of Andrew in a red shirt and Andrew gave acres of space to their winger.

Davies looked off the pace.

No cut and thrust going forward after the first few minutes. When we did get a chance to get going with Asante he just hesitated instead of going for it.

If anything we were worse after the substitutes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 184
Mariner_501
March 14, 2017, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
McKeown is a great lad but not at all convinced by him at this level unfortunately
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 184
dapperz fun pub
March 14, 2017, 11:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,878
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grantley
First two goals were very lucky. 3rd and 4th were poor goalkeeping. If Mckeown holds himself in as high regard as is rumoured, he needs to take a look at himself. Any pressure on him and he crumbles.

I doubt macca will be here after this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 184
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2017, 12:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS was reading the programme before the game. Their chairman made a similar plea to Fenty last season, for the fans not to get on the players' backs and reported that opposition managers had said they deliberately set out to get the fans frustrated.

This was echoed by a Pompey fan I was talking to in the pub beforehand. The best tactic against them is to park the bus and try to knick a goal he said, as some of their fans have the attitude that they shouldn't be playing at this level. Pretty much the same scenario we faced in non-League. But, he said, if you come out to attack us we will tear you apart. First few minutes and it looked like we were going for it....oh dear...

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 184
jonnyboy82
March 15, 2017, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
Did anyone really expect us to win there? I know i didn't.

Two deflected goals, two goalkeeping gaffes, them having all the luck going, which they didn't need to beat us but got anyway, and it's back to clueless manager comments. There are plenty of teams below us who would swap places with us and i think the bigger picture needs to be looked at by some. As i've said before, MB may turn out to be a dud but it's way too early to make that call for me.

Did anyone expect us to win 3 nil at Plymouth ? No but we did.

That "did anyone expect us to win " comment is one of the biggest excuses comments in football.

The games in which we lose are most likely real hammerings as when we lose we lose bad.

I think his tactics when they work they get us through but like last night when the opposition change theirs to counter our 352 we don't do anything apart from see how it goes.

He seriously needs to look at that because it's clearly a big part of the game.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 184
HertsGTFC
March 15, 2017, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
I am not sure we played 3-5-2 last night. Then again I can't tell you what our shape was meant to be.

Seems to me we need to pick the games where we go for it and the ones where we need to set up to grind out a result, last night was the latter in my view.

Did I expect to win? Not sure but I did expect a game plan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 184
HertsGTFC
March 15, 2017, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
Sorry amend that to "realistic game plan" considering how strong the opposition are.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 184
Bristol Mariner
March 15, 2017, 10:11am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
On way back to Bristol, enjoyable trip, met up with a few Exiles and nice stroll around the grey concrete town centre this morning. I expect much more Sat, however, would we have taken 6 points from this weeks three games - yes probably. Roll onto the 6.24am train Saturday morning, another day another game.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 184
grimsby pete
March 15, 2017, 11:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
We have had plenty of rubbish defeats while in non league Braintree and Halifax just 2 of them,

So losing at Portsmouth does not feel too bad for me at least,

We normally bounce back after these nights so I look forward to a good win for us on Saturday,

Maybe Marcus was making a point by making so many changes and saying the players were tired,

Getyourfactsright should come  and post on here and inform us why the team had to travel on the day 3 days after another longish journey.

Roll on Saturday.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 184
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Portsmouth Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.