This thread currently has 5,614 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheCodfather1966
February 26, 2017, 11:06am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Due to the way we are playing and the inconsistencies of our results, sadly our home crowds are suffering, and our away support numbers seem to be going down which is sad.  I can only see us scrapping a bit past 4,000 on Tuesday night against Colchester.  Hopefully we can rally again and get a good home win.  Sadly expectations aren't great under MB at the moment and I for one would accept two points out of the next two home games to help us limp over the 50 points barrier.  If we don't put up a couple of good shows in the next two home games, there will be a heap of pressure on MB's shoulders already.  Money is crucial  to Town and we have to keep our great support together, MB;'s style of football, and 6 wins out of 18 games so far is sadly impacting on both fronts.

Lets hope we can get back on track on Tuesday night.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jaws
February 26, 2017, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
This moment was always going to happen. We've been riding on a wave for several seasons of having arguably the best team in the league and expecting to beat every team we play. Attendances will rise when the goings good.

Unfortunately that isn't the case in this league and even if we had back to back promotions there gets a point where a team starts to stutter and run into difficulty and subsequently attendances drop off.

Generally we're OK and will be safe which was the minimum expectation. Next season will be better if we can spend some of the Bogle money.

I would suspect the board have accounted on an average home gate of 4,500 this season. 4,000 on a Tuesday night will fit into that average fine.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
ginnywings
February 26, 2017, 1:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Due to the way we are playing and the inconsistencies of our results, sadly our home crowds are suffering, and our away support numbers seem to be going down which is sad.  I can only see us scrapping a bit past 4,000 on Tuesday night against Colchester.  Hopefully we can rally again and get a good home win.  Sadly expectations aren't great under MB at the moment and I for one would accept two points out of the next two home games to help us limp over the 50 points barrier.  If we don't put up a couple of good shows in the next two home games, there will be a heap of pressure on MB's shoulders already.  Money is crucial  to Town and we have to keep our great support together, MB;'s style of football, and 6 wins out of 18 games so far is sadly impacting on both fronts.

UTM

Why? He's hardly had any time at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
TAGG
February 26, 2017, 2:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings

Why? He's hardly had any time at all.

Why? Because it's a results based business.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
buckstown
February 26, 2017, 2:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,111
Gold Stars: 77
I think most people can accept we're playing better teams and aren't going to be winning every week. It's the nature of the defeats that causes people to stop going.
I've been a town fan for over 50 years and I won't stop now, but having been to Stevenage and listened to Crewe, Morecambe and Newport I'm not remotely bothered about going to Orient.
If we turn up and play with passion I can take defeats, it's part of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
TheCodfather1966
February 26, 2017, 2:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Great comments from Tagg and Buckstown, 100% agree with both of you.  Football is completely a results orientated business, simple fact, any manager is judged as such.  Do people honestly think Steve Evans and Neil Warnock are constantly in demand because of their sparkling personalities ?  I will never stop following Town, never, just the same as Buckstown, but the reality is that the level of performances under MB has been truly shocking at times.  Of course we are not going to win week in and week out at this level, but Town fans always respect 100% effort and commitment by players and managers alike.  Sadly so far under MB, this commitment has not been evident in many of the away games so far.  Rose coloured glasses are a great thing, however, finances and reality bites as the coffers will show after Tuesdays below than average attendance.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
jock dock tower
February 26, 2017, 2:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I made the trip south for the Morecambe game, and what I saw actually shocked me. I remarked before the game to the legend that is the Barralad that the away attendance was much smaller than normal. I'd been so looking forward to this game because of the excitement generated by the new signings, and was told beforehand that the excitement wasn't misplaced.

Not only was it misplaced, it was non existent. A four or five nil scoreline wouldn't have flattered Morecambe. Although we lost a really, really, stupid goal through awful defending very early on, for the next 20 minutes we took the game to Morecambe and basically bossed it, and then......nothing. The tactics were rank rotten, playing mainly long balls after the first 20 minutes which inevitably ran out of play on the wet surface and high winds - but nothing changed, this just kept on happening.

Second half and I thought Town would come out of the starting blocks and really go for it. How wrong could I be? Morecambe played a very intelligent game on the break to which we had no answer to. The amount of times I saw them basically run through the centre of our defence like a hot knife through butter was genuinely embarrassing, and we did nothing to stop it. They won nigh on every second ball, they kept the ball on the deck, in fact they did everything we should have done but were clearly incapable of doing. Doubt I'll be tempted down south again for a while.

Fan are right, it is a results driven business. Our lack of a plan A, let alone a plan B, meant we floundered. First half Morecambe pumped the ball long down the left wing every opportunity they got. A very basic tactic, but at least it was a tactice, and it led to their goal. Instead of putting the ball out for a throw, Pearson tried to play the ball out over the byeline but failed, then goal, game over. Second half Morecambe were much more cute and their build up play was good to watch at times, but the number of times I witnessed Town defenders turning their backs on Morecambe's forwards as they ran at them really left me scratching my head.

Clearly, it's work in progress but watching your team losing 1-0, and needing to win to keep outside chances of the Play Offs alive, and have to  wait until the 83rd minute for a shot at goal in the second half was definitely worrying. It was a disastrous day, but chatting to Barra during the game he said it was nothing like Crewe. Thank feck I never went to that one.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2017, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from jock dock tower
I made the trip south for the Morecambe game, and what I saw actually shocked me. I remarked before the game to the legend that is the Barralad that the away attendance was much smaller than normal. I'd been so looking forward to this game because of the excitement generated by the new signings, and was told beforehand that the excitement wasn't misplaced.

Not only was it misplaced, it was non existent. A four or five nil scoreline wouldn't have flattered Morecambe. Although we lost a really, really, stupid goal through awful defending very early on, for the next 20 minutes we took the game to Morecambe and basically bossed it, and then......nothing. The tactics were rank rotten, playing mainly long balls after the first 20 minutes which inevitably ran out of play on the wet surface and high winds - but nothing changed, this just kept on happening.

Second half and I thought Town would come out of the starting blocks and really go for it. How wrong could I be? Morecambe played a very intelligent game on the break to which we had no answer to. The amount of times I saw them basically run through the centre of our defence like a hot knife through butter was genuinely embarrassing, and we did nothing to stop it. They won nigh on every second ball, they kept the ball on the deck, in fact they did everything we should have done but were clearly incapable of doing. Doubt I'll be tempted down south again for a while.

Fan are right, it is a results driven business. Our lack of a plan A, let alone a plan B, meant we floundered. First half Morecambe pumped the ball long down the left wing every opportunity they got. A very basic tactic, but at least it was a tactice, and it led to their goal. Instead of putting the ball out for a throw, Pearson tried to play the ball out over the byeline but failed, then goal, game over. Second half Morecambe were much more cute and their build up play was good to watch at times, but the number of times I witnessed Town defenders turning their backs on Morecambe's forwards as they ran at them really left me scratching my head.

Clearly, it's work in progress but watching your team losing 1-0, and needing to win to keep outside chances of the Play Offs alive, and have to  wait until the 83rd minute for a shot at goal in the second half was definitely worrying. It was a disastrous day, but chatting to Barra during the game he said it was nothing like Crewe. Thank feck I never went to that one.

What has your tag line got to do with football?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
HertsGTFC
February 26, 2017, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from TheCodfather1966

UTM

I think the writing may have been on the wall a little when we player Mansfield as when you take out the 1300 odd Mansfield fans what was left was not what we have been used to in recent months.

One thing I don't agree with is what you have said about expectation as we in general expect quite a lot as Town fans, sometimes we are unrealistic in what we expect.

Marcus came in to a team placed in the play offs as the fixtures till then had been kind. He then "talked up" quite a lot of things thus setting higher expectation and to his credit some excitement that in recent weeks we have not lived up to. All of that along with telling the public that there was not enough technical quality in the squad AKA the players we have are crap just shows a lack of experience and nothing else.

Is he under pressure? Only in the minds of some fans as JF is a very patient "non chairman".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
TheCodfather1966
February 26, 2017, 4:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
JF may be patient, but he is also a business man at heart as well.  When the club starts to leak money left right and centre, then JF might not be so patient.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.