4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
February 26, 2017, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Barring a disaster between now and the end of the season I would think it is highly unlikely that MB isn't in charge come the opening day of the 2017/18 season. I'm still concerned as to how his tenure is going to pan out though.

The positives are that we have some good players like Osborne, Jones, Mills, Pearson and Andrew and some of them have the potential to improve further as they've only just begun their professional careers. We've then got three or four pretty dependable players with FL experience like Collins, Davies, McAllister (should he ever be fit again) and Clements who aren't going to let you down too often and have the type of experience that you need when the going gets tough.

The negatives are that we don't seem to have a goalscorer amongst our strikers and unless Yussuf or Asante can up their game either this season or by the start of next then that is going to need sorting pronto. This isn't entirely MB's fault as the sale of Bogle was always likely to happen and was out of his hands and Hurst created a squad that had virtually no goal threat other than Bogle. However, Yussuf doesn't strike me as the sort of player who will be your main goalscorer and there have to be question marks over Asante's fitness given his record. I think both could be useful strikers to have available and could contribute if in a system that suits them but we need someone to be our main man and if that means spending some of the Bogle money then so be it because without someone properly replacing him we'll be in trouble.

We also desperately need some exciting wide players. We've struggled to create chances nearly all season and our lack of real pace or players with the ability to go past men has been partly to blame. Tombola can go past men but then normally messes up the final ball so he doesn't really count, I still think he'd be an excellent impact sub but not good enough for a starting eleven.

I think another area overlooked by many is the role of screening the back four. We're not blessed with pace at the back so it's vital that we stop players picking up the ball in the hole and running at them like Morecambe did yesterday. I don't think Comley is good enough, certainly not with the ball at his feet, and I don't think Gunning is either. If McAllister isn't the man to patrol this area of the pitch for us then I think we need to make this one of the main signings in the summer, get somebody mobile and aggressive in there who will stop teams hitting us on the break and get us winning some of the second balls.

My main area for concern is the lack of an obvious set of tactics or game plan. I think generally the better performances have come about because of players playing well that day, rather than our management out-thinking the opponents'. The real sign of a savvy manager is a plan B for days when player performance is below optimal and we just don't seem to have any idea. Too many games have petered out without us ever putting pressure on the opposition for a sustained period and the scenario at Stevenage with 4 strikers on the pitch and not a shot between them was just embarrassing. I know it is still early days but he's had a few weeks to work with this current squad now, usually a full week too, and there is still no evidence that we seem to be moving in the right direction. When people questioned whether it was wise to change the squad so drastically mid season I always argued that it was wise to start now to get a headstart but if we're not making any head way then it will have essentially written off the season for no gain and lost the interest of some of the fan base.

There is still plenty of time for MB to get the squad in place that he wants and to mould them into a team with a recognisable plan A and back up plans for when things aren't working. However, the lack of fight in many of the losses recently plus the team looking like a bunch of strangers for long periods has erased a lot of the patience and goodwill he was afforded when he came in. If the team doesn't show signs of progressing or doesn't hit the ground running at the start of next season, I think he'll be under a lot of pressure early on.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
ginnywings
February 26, 2017, 5:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from TAGG

Why? Because it's a results based business.

We won the last game and drew the one before. It's not like we are losing every week and in danger of relegation. I want us to win and play well every week, just like the next man, but i also take into account that manager has been here a very short time and surely people can give him a bit more before sharpening the knives?

I put up with Hurst for years, so i'm sure i can give MB a bit more leeway before i start threatening not to turn up to games. This is lower league footy, we don't go for the glamour and i'll be there on Tuesday. MB may well turn out to be another Newell but surely now is too soon to judge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
HertsGTFC
February 26, 2017, 5:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,637
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from mariner91
Barring a disaster between now and the end of the season I would think it is highly unlikely that MB isn't in charge come the opening day of the 2017/18 season. I'm still concerned as to how his tenure is going to pan out though.

The positives are that we have some good players like Osborne, Jones, Mills, Pearson and Andrew and some of them have the potential to improve further as they've only just begun their professional careers. We've then got three or four pretty dependable players with FL experience like Collins, Davies, McAllister (should he ever be fit again) and Clements who aren't going to let you down too often and have the type of experience that you need when the going gets tough.

The negatives are that we don't seem to have a goalscorer amongst our strikers and unless Yussuf or Asante can up their game either this season or by the start of next then that is going to need sorting pronto. This isn't entirely MB's fault as the sale of Bogle was always likely to happen and was out of his hands and Hurst created a squad that had virtually no goal threat other than Bogle. However, Yussuf doesn't strike me as the sort of player who will be your main goalscorer and there have to be question marks over Asante's fitness given his record. I think both could be useful strikers to have available and could contribute if in a system that suits them but we need someone to be our main man and if that means spending some of the Bogle money then so be it because without someone properly replacing him we'll be in trouble.

We also desperately need some exciting wide players. We've struggled to create chances nearly all season and our lack of real pace or players with the ability to go past men has been partly to blame. Tombola can go past men but then normally messes up the final ball so he doesn't really count, I still think he'd be an excellent impact sub but not good enough for a starting eleven.

I think another area overlooked by many is the role of screening the back four. We're not blessed with pace at the back so it's vital that we stop players picking up the ball in the hole and running at them like Morecambe did yesterday. I don't think Comley is good enough, certainly not with the ball at his feet, and I don't think Gunning is either. If McAllister isn't the man to patrol this area of the pitch for us then I think we need to make this one of the main signings in the summer, get somebody mobile and aggressive in there who will stop teams hitting us on the break and get us winning some of the second balls.

My main area for concern is the lack of an obvious set of tactics or game plan. I think generally the better performances have come about because of players playing well that day, rather than our management out-thinking the opponents'. The real sign of a savvy manager is a plan B for days when player performance is below optimal and we just don't seem to have any idea. Too many games have petered out without us ever putting pressure on the opposition for a sustained period and the scenario at Stevenage with 4 strikers on the pitch and not a shot between them was just embarrassing. I know it is still early days but he's had a few weeks to work with this current squad now, usually a full week too, and there is still no evidence that we seem to be moving in the right direction. When people questioned whether it was wise to change the squad so drastically mid season I always argued that it was wise to start now to get a headstart but if we're not making any head way then it will have essentially written off the season for no gain and lost the interest of some of the fan base.

There is still plenty of time for MB to get the squad in place that he wants and to mould them into a team with a recognisable plan A and back up plans for when things aren't working. However, the lack of fight in many of the losses recently plus the team looking like a bunch of strangers for long periods has erased a lot of the patience and goodwill he was afforded when he came in. If the team doesn't show signs of progressing or doesn't hit the ground running at the start of next season, I think he'll be under a lot of pressure early on.

Good post that 91

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Garth
February 26, 2017, 5:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Its the lack of fight shown at Crewe,  Stevenage and Morecambe that concerns me more than lack of experience at League two, we need some of the team spirit and fight back that we had last year, even when we win its seems that we are not in control of events on the field like we were under ****** tenure, I hope he`s ruthless in his decisions for Tuesday and starts with a team of fighters not frighters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
TAGG
February 26, 2017, 6:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ginnywings

We won the last game and drew the one before. It's not like we are losing every week and in danger of relegation. I want us to win and play well every week, just like the next man, but i also take into account that manager has been here a very short time and surely people can give him a bit more before sharpening the knives?

I put up with Hurst for years, so i'm sure i can give MB a bit more leeway before i start threatening not to turn up to games. This is lower league footy, we don't go for the glamour and i'll be there on Tuesday. MB may well turn out to be another Newell but surely now is too soon to judge.

He I'm with you but it's just the way it is now.
A bloke who won the prem and is in the knockout stages in Europe was sacked because his results weren't good enough of late and his players are swinging the lead.
If our results and performences don't improve MB will be under huge preasure it's just the way it is.  
I'm not crazy about MB but he needs time, unfortunately in the modern game managers don't always get it 💩

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Cloudy
February 26, 2017, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Garth
Its the lack of fight shown at Crewe,  Stevenage and Morecambe that concerns me more than lack of experience at League two, we need some of the team spirit and fight back that we had last year, even when we win its seems that we are not in control of events on the field like we were under ****** tenure, I hope he`s ruthless in his decisions for Tuesday and starts with a team of fighters not frighters

I agre with the lack of fight. I can take losing but I am worried about the apparent lack of togetherness. Maybe we have been spoilt after all  

Don't know if this has been mentioned on other threads but I am concerned about the name and shame bit in the media. To my mind you never ball out a player publically, do what you want behind closed doors, but it is a sure way of causing splits in a group.

Hope we start better on Tuesday than we did in the reverse fixture
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
HertsGTFC
February 26, 2017, 8:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Bit in bold made me smile

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
HertsGTFC
February 26, 2017, 8:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

I agre with the lack of fight. I can take losing but I am worried about the apparent lack of togetherness. Maybe we have been spoilt after all  

Don't know if this has been mentioned on other threads but I am concerned about the name and shame bit in the media. To my mind you never ball out a player publically, do what you want behind closed doors, but it is a sure way of causing splits in a group.

I am not happy with the "naming and shaming" additionally I was not happy that MB came out publically and criticized the technical ability in the squad he inherited, he was right they where an average squad but I'm not convinced it was good for unity to put that out there.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
headingly_mariner
February 26, 2017, 8:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Cloudy

I completely agree with this and mentioned it on another thread. The last thing you want when you've made a mistake at work is for your manager to throw you under the bus, I imagine it's the same for footballers.

You want a boss that shoulders responsibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
HackneyHaddock
February 26, 2017, 9:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1

What has your tag line got to do with football?

Some people can't accept that people with differing political opinions might just be wrong or have an alternative perspective, but instead need to constantly tell everyone (and themselves) that their opponents aren't even human.  I'm also puzzled as to why it's necessary on a football forum, but there you go. No fathoming some people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.