3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Jaws
February 25, 2017, 2:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
It's a shame the town can't get behind the push for a new stadium like they did with saving the ice rink.

I have no figures but Blundell Park will host more members of the community than the ice rink did whether it's through the main team, sponsored events at BP, functions at Mcmenemies.

Given that we generally fill the home allocation whenever there's a big home game there's a lot of voices that could make a big impact. I highly doubt there are 5,000 different people visiting the ice rink each year but there has been a massive cry for support for it.

Most of the town (not aware of GTFC affairs) seem to be under the impression that the club makes money and/or Fenty takes money out of it - probably have more sympathy if this changed and people realised that the club needs it and what would be lost when it goes.
Private Message
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2017, 3:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Maybe the difference is that the ice rink was under threat completely, whereas the football club is seen as just wanting to upgrade its facilities.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Jaws
February 25, 2017, 4:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Maybe the difference is that the ice rink was under threat completely, whereas the football club is seen as just wanting to upgrade its facilities.

So we wait until the club is on the verge of disappearing completely before doing something about it? The club is losing money each year and is only surviving by withdrawing more money from a finite pot.

The stadium isn't just an upgrade, it's a plan to make the club sustainable for the foreseeable future.

Maybe if the ice rink had more foresight then it wouldn't have got to this?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2017, 4:36pm
Meths Drinker
That's not what I said. I simply pointed out why people might be more keen to sign up to the ice rink campaign.

Different issue but, as you've raised it. What the club have failed to do is show how the new ground will make it more self-sufficient financially. Or even why it can't be self-sufficient at BP. Sure we all know that there might be more revenue streams at the new site or more people might come, or that BP is old and is more expensive to run. But as for evidence, there's zilch. It's not even clear who will own the new ground or benefit from additional revenue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2017, 4:42pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Jaws

Maybe if the ice rink had more foresight then it wouldn't have got to this?

And this has really got naff all to do with your question as to why the town don't get behind the new ground in the same way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
realist
February 25, 2017, 5:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
The difference is that GTFC is a commercial venture and the use of public funds for such a venture is an emotive and divisive  issue.
The ice rink is a community asset which gets public support.  Quite simple really
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Cod Cheeks
February 25, 2017, 6:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
What percentage of the ice skating away fans are thugs and hooligans that make front page news?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
ginnywings
February 25, 2017, 7:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from realist
The difference is that GTFC is a commercial venture and the use of public funds for such a venture is an emotive and divisive  issue.
The ice rink is a community asset which gets public support.  Quite simple really

The football ground will be a community asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
promotion plaice
February 25, 2017, 7:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Just caught the end of the local TV news today and it mentioned something about the Grimsby ice hockey team.

Maybe a grant for a new rink or something ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
realist
February 25, 2017, 8:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The football ground will be a community asset.

If you say it often enough you might believe it.    I was hoping this topic might remain factual for once but you have spoilt that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
Cloudy
February 25, 2017, 8:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
IMO the football club is a community asset, probably the biggest asset the area has
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Swansea_Mariner
February 25, 2017, 11:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from realist

The report was quite clear there is no public money going to be spent the land is to be sold at the market rate, the public purse gets a nice Captial receipt to spend on whatever it sees fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
ginnywings
February 26, 2017, 12:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from realist

If you say it often enough you might believe it.    I was hoping this topic might remain factual for once but you have spoilt that.

Do you mean the "facts" according to realist? The least apt name you could have chosen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Mrs Doyle
February 26, 2017, 8:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thought our new "Community Stadium" project was suppose to include a new "Community" ice rink???

Another pipe dream from la.la land  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
realist
February 26, 2017, 8:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

The report was quite clear there is no public money going to be spent the land is to be sold at the market rate, the public purse gets a nice Captial receipt to spend on whatever it sees fit.

The report mentioned selling land to fund the stadium. I think this means the land owned by the borough being sold for the project.  I could be wrong but it is quite difficult to understand things from the report

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Swansea_Mariner
February 26, 2017, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from realist

The report mentioned selling land to fund the stadium. I think this means the land owned by the borough being sold for the project.  I could be wrong but it is quite difficult to understand things from the report

How about you try reading it properly then and 'get your facts right'. I'll even help you out see paragraph 7.2 of the cover report under financial implications  p 8

The amount will be an additional capital receipt available for reinvestment into council priorities.

That  means they can spend the money on whatever they like, such as school buildings, pavilions, adult social care facilities, tarmac for the road etc.

Land sold to fund the stadium = the land on which Blundell park stands.

It's not the best report in the world for many reasons which are irrelevant to this specific point, but I can't see how you can miss that, it's even shown in the limited financial inforinformation provided with the sensitivity tables.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
rancido
February 26, 2017, 12:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner
That's not what I said. I simply pointed out why people might be more keen to sign up to the ice rink campaign.

Different issue but, as you've raised it. What the club have failed to do is show how the new ground will make it more self-sufficient financially. Or even why it can't be self-sufficient at BP. Sure we all know that there might be more revenue streams at the new site or more people might come, or that BP is old and is more expensive to run. But as for evidence, there's zilch. It's not even clear who will own the new ground or benefit from additional revenue.

Well they may not have specified specific amounts but surely revenue from car-parking, training pitches and conference facilities will help. At the moment these are three areas where town get no income at all.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Jaws
February 26, 2017, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Maybe I should have said it's a shame the clubs fans can't all unite in the effort for a new ground? Naff all chance of the town getting behind it if us as fans can't agree!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
oldun
February 26, 2017, 4:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
The problem is that our council build things but fail to maintain them until they get into a poor state and have to be closed. For example Scartho Baths, The Ice Rink, Public toilets, The Central Library etc etc. I know they have been squeezed for funds but somehow find money for other schemes some of which no-one wants. It may be it is easier to get grants to construct new but difficult to get help to maintain what we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2017, 5:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oldun
The problem is that our council build things but fail to maintain them until they get into a poor state and have to be closed. For example Scartho Baths, The Ice Rink, Public toilets, The Central Library etc etc. I know they have been squeezed for funds but somehow find money for other schemes some of which no-one wants. It may be it is easier to get grants to construct new but difficult to get help to maintain what we have.

I wonder how much NELC's budget has been squeezed by over the 'austerity years'. That crazy paving in Victoria St seems to have cost a fair packet which might have funded backlog maintenance on one building.

Some of the mistakes concern capital projects going back decades. My old man always used to complain about the fact Scathe Baths was built too small (40 yards) when the space was available to build an Olympic sized pool (50m). That surely would have brought additional revenue in for not much more cost. Same with the new pool near GY leisure centre - why only 25m.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2017, 5:56pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Well they may not have specified specific amounts but surely revenue from car-parking, training pitches and conference facilities will help. At the moment these are three areas where town get no income at all.

Possibly, but: (1) we don't know who is going to own what; (2) we don't know who is going to get which income streams: (3) there are no estimates of income (or operating costs) for any of the facilities. There isn't any evidence of the demand for these things either. The only solid figure is the £25-30m to build the thing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
mimma
February 26, 2017, 8:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
The whole issue of who runs what, who pays for what and who gets the revenue generated is cloudy to say the least.

Who is going to build the houses?

Do Extreme Leisure run all the conferencing facilities, and the car parking, etc. and take all the income, leaving Town with just match day revenue?

The council will be the biggest winner. 160 houses, at, say £1500 council tax, gives them £240,000 a year, plus the business rates, they could be looking at an extra couple of million a year. How much block paving a year will that get them?

Does anyone out there know how the Donny Rovers of this world have done it, and how much they get in return?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
rancido
February 27, 2017, 7:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from oldun

I think central government make funds available for certain infrastructure projects and if you don't use for them  then you don't get it. I think this was the case with the top town refurbishment. The council will have put some money in but nowhere near what was made available.
The Scartho Baths farce is completely different and I think it was more of a vanity project by certain Labour councillors.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ice Rink

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.