8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 23, 2017, 11:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,268
Gold Stars: 70
Seems wrong to me when he did the simply unbelievable, but on a purely footballing level I can see its understandable. Think he still deserved to stay whilst he had a chance of pulling off the unbelievable twice by winning the champions league, and they were still outside relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Grantley
February 23, 2017, 11:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
It is well known that Leicester's scouting area is ridiculous and responsible for most of the signings. As Ginny says, Leicester had started playing well from around March the previous season; I firmly believe their momentum carried on. Kante was obviously class and his loss is showing. Last season was also several players hitting their absolute peak i.e. Vardy, Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez. One of the biggest hangovers seen in football.

Ranieri seems a nice guy but his record since is pretty woeful. If he can win them the league last season, why is he not able to get them winning as this season?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Bigdog
February 23, 2017, 11:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
Think he's overrated and very luckily inherited a team that Pearson had put together the previous season and had gone on a mad winning run from relegation places to mid table. Right place right time for Ranieri in my opinion. Once they lost Kante, he had no answers.

I don't think there's many managers out there that would have an answer, Kante's that good. Pretty much he's the only change in Chelsea's line up this season and they've improved as much as Leicester have worsened..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
chipsandgravy
February 23, 2017, 11:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
A perfect example of why I couldn't give a flying f**k about the Premiership.
It lost touch with real fans long ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
jimgtfc
February 24, 2017, 12:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Teams have figured Leicester out, just let them have the ball and they can't break you down, and Ranieri has failed to adapt his team. They mastered the art of counter attacking football last season and had the players suited to that style. The defence sat deep and narrow and defended their area with Huth and Morgan designed to shut down oppositions attacks. Kante did the work of 2 men in the middle of the park, having the work rate, positioning and ability on the ball too. Drinkwater and Vardy seemed to have a telepathic understanding of the long pass behind the opposition. Mahrez could produce something out of nothing while Okazaki harassed defences into mistakes. All of that added up to the perfect recipe for counter attacking football. This season losing Kante was huge, I can't put into words just how good this guy is, you've only got to look at where his current employers are to realise. Teams have now now decided to play them at their own game and let them have the ball, something they seem to be uncomfortable with. They're slow in possession, there's a lack of movement against now deeper lying defences, which gives Vardy no space to get in behind, or Mahrez with 3 or 4 tightly packed players to get past instead of the acres of room he was afforded last term.

Ranieri has failed to address these issues in enough time and now they're deep in the brown stuff. The sentimental decision would have been to keep him but for the club I think they've made the right call, but that will only be the case if the new man keeps them in the PL, and that's looking a tough task.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
Mariner93er
February 24, 2017, 12:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I don't think he could have adopted the team. I think it was just an extraordinary circumstance of having a bunch of players, all hitting their prime, within the perfect formation that suited them all. Vardy for example is no way near as good as people believed, but thrived off the long ball which played to his strength. It's also worth noting how shite the league was last season. And I honestly believe it shows how, relative to their position, Kante is up there with the messis and Ronaldos, the guys ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
GrimRob
February 24, 2017, 6:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chipsandgravy
A perfect example of why I couldn't give a flying f**k about the Premiership.
It lost touch with real fans long ago.

A lot more fans support premier league teams than league two teams. Slightly arrogant to claim we're real fans and those who happen to support other teams are not.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 70
February 24, 2017, 7:41am
Guest User
All very sad it's a shame it's all gone wrong. But there is a bright side.. It's time for an ex Mariner to step in and becomes a Premiership Manager when he takes the helm for Leicesters next game.
Good look Craig
Reply: 37 - 70
golfer
February 24, 2017, 7:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 115
All is forgiven Mr Pearson,  Please come back ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 24, 2017, 9:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
This year was always going to be 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' wasn't it? Like Jim says in his post, other sides have sussed out the way Leicester played and Ranieri simply did not have an answer.

People have short memories because he didn't have an answer at Chelsea either when things went pear shaped. He fiddled about, got himself the name Tinkerman. Lo and behold, that was what he's been doing at clubs ever since and without success. Really short memories haven't we? There was much raising of eyebrows when Ranieri was appointed because he hadn't achieved anything of note with anyone since Chelsea.

According to reports he has done the same thing at Leicester this year and just like at Chelsea he has lost the dressing room with changes to selection and tactics he hasn't explained to players, just sprung on the side at the last minute before games. His summer signings were a waste of cash and the side looks as poor as it did before Pearson got that run going at the end of the season before last and got sacked.

I am not surprised an idiot like Lineker would support him but frankly I am surprised at the support Ranieri has had on here from people I always thought of as football savvy.

Nobody has yet posted us a proper counter to the criticisms or given one good football reason why he should have been kept on. It's all the old loyalty argument. But just because you've enjoyed a brilliant ocean voyage doesn't mean your captain should be allowed to run the ship into an iceberg.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ranieri sacked

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.