2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2017, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Recent events have had me thinking the best way to approach appointing a new manager part way through a season.

Normally when a manager takes over it is because the team are struggling, so the answer is obvious - instil confidence, discipline and work to a system that is easy to follow and makes you hard to beat initially. Add to that you aquire players who you know will improve the team, either loans or permanent transfers when the window opens. Two examples I suppose closest to us for differing reasonsare Evans at Mansfield and Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury.

Although on paper Bignot had an easier job than those two, in that we weren't struggling but some fans wanted a manager with a more outgoing personality and team to match, I think Bignot has been caught between every stool going and has come unstuck a bit.

I wonder what planning was agreed with the board regarding this season when he was appointed? I think there was about 2/3 of the season to go and we could have another great season. Was there really any need to change the team so drastically? Imagine if we had held fire, and used a fraction of the Bogle money to buy 2 quality players (for this level) to add to the squad we had?

He has obviously persuaded the board that wholesale changes were necessary, and he will have to justify them, but should a rookie league manager have been allowed to do that without the board first having a longer look at how he worked at our level with the decent professionals we already had?

I am a bit irritated that quite a lot of the Bogle money has gone on replacing the team when we could have used it much more wisely.

We should have been full of optimism for the remainder of the season, but if it tails off that will certainly take the shine off everything just as we looked to be going in the right direction at last.

I dont know what to make of it; i was expecting more so I am disappointed, but if this team doesn't start to show progress from now till the end of the season if it was my money I dont think I would give him any more to spend.
Private Message
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 3:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
The hurst team ground out the odd result, but looked as clueless going forward as we do now. We wouldn't have got near the playoffs with 2 quality additions.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2017, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
The hurst team ground out the odd result, but looked as clueless going forward as we do now. We wouldn't have got near the playoffs with 2 quality additions.  

We were in the play offs the week before he left! We weren't playing great but it was coming together at least.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 4:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
That was early in the season when exeter were in relegation. There's no way that team was capable of the form the current play off teams are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2017, 5:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
That was early in the season when exeter were in relegation. There's no way that team was capable of the form the current play off teams are.

I know when it was. Conversely we had just started to get used to a new division, we were a close knit unit and  already had some decent results. You cannot possibly know how they would have fared if Hurst had stayed.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Grantley
February 12, 2017, 5:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9

I know when it was. Conversely we had just started to get used to a new division, we were a close knit unit and  already had some decent results. You cannot possibly know how they would have fared if Hurst had stayed.

You also cannot possibly know how Bignot's team will fare in a couple of months.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Considering we were finding it harder and harder to score as the season went on under hurst, I think we know how it was going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Bigdog
February 12, 2017, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner93er
Considering we were finding it harder and harder to score as the season went on under hurst, I think we know how it was going.

I think Hurst did too..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2017, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We didn't dictate the terms of Hursts departure, he did.  Let's FFS get behind the manager and the team and stop acting like spoilt twits.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2017, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We didn't dictate the terms of Hursts departure, he did.  Let's FFS get behind the manager and the team and stop acting like spoilt twits.

Eh? We do get behind the team.Fanatically with some of us. I think you are confusing support for the team with a discussion about the club on a public forum. Before the internet i would be talking about the club, its new manager, the away support, Bogle's move, Fenty et al with the bloke down the pub, the dog or God forbid the wife.

It is no big deal to say something critical or radical or different on a message board.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managers taking over mid season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.