This thread currently has 4,500 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Gabriel
February 11, 2017, 9:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +20
Mariners,

Commiserations on the result today. Written up some thoughts on the game - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/crewe-5-0-grimsby-eight-things-we-learnt/ - if you can bare to go over it again!

What did you think about Bignot talking directly to the remaining fans after the game? Personally, I have some respect for him for doing that, though I think it was a mistake not to change things at 2 or 3-0 while you still had a chance. Needed to stem the tide in midfield.

All the best for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2017, 11:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks Gabriel.

Not too painful a read but then I wasn't there.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
Gabriel
February 12, 2017, 12:04am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Thanks Gabriel.

Not too painful a read but then I wasn't there.

Cheers KM. What do you think about Bolarinwa? Thought he did ok off the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Mrs Doyle
February 12, 2017, 6:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Apologies for butting in K.M.

Bolarina is used as a impact player wish he could play for 90 minutes like that but he has not been given many full games his fitness as been questioned??

I don't get that he give us both blistering pace and strength.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Mrs Doyle
February 12, 2017, 7:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gabriel
Mariners,

Commiserations on the result today. Written up some thoughts on the game - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/crewe-5-0-grimsby-eight-things-we-learnt/ - if you can bare to go over it again!

What did you think about Bignot talking directly to the remaining fans after the game? Personally, I have some respect for him for doing that, though I think it was a mistake not to change things at 2 or 3-0 while you still had a chance. Needed to stem the tide in midfield.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Quote"

The clever movement of forwards Chris Dagnall and Jordan Bowery forced Grimsby’s midfielders to congest the left side. Crewe then switched play incisively and this saw George Cooper gain acres of space on the other flank, in behind Grimsby’s advanced right-wing back, Ben Davies. The visiting three-man defence of Gavin Gunning, Danny Collins and Shaun Pearson was often too slow to close down. Cooper took advantage, slotting past James McKeown from a tight angle after some good work from Cooke."

Nice write up I am afraid any team with pace on the flanks will always expose us your young kids ran riot with us like you say your manager quickly picked up on this.

Ben Davis is too slow the centre backs being forced wide to assist meant our shape was simply non existent.

That is what you get with confusion as to who is playing where and what there role is, all very amateurish SORT IT BIGNOT.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 9:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Buy I don't get why, for their first goal, Davies was basically I'm a right wing position while they had the ball. Surely he hasn't been told to do that and just lost the plot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Gabriel
February 12, 2017, 12:22pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Quote"

The clever movement of forwards Chris Dagnall and Jordan Bowery forced Grimsby’s midfielders to congest the left side. Crewe then switched play incisively and this saw George Cooper gain acres of space on the other flank, in behind Grimsby’s advanced right-wing back, Ben Davies. The visiting three-man defence of Gavin Gunning, Danny Collins and Shaun Pearson was often too slow to close down. Cooper took advantage, slotting past James McKeown from a tight angle after some good work from Cooke."

Nice write up I am afraid any team with pace on the flanks will always expose us your young kids ran riot with us like you say your manager quickly picked up on this.

Ben Davis is too slow the centre backs being forced wide to assist meant our shape was simply non existent.

That is what you get with confusion as to who is playing where and what there role is, all very amateurish SORT IT BIGNOT.  

Not a Crewe fan, grew up supporting Birmingham. What do you think of the wing-back system - would you rather wingers were used?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
Mrs Doyle
February 12, 2017, 2:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Would rather see an out and out winger but wing backs work well if you understand some body as to cover the space behind him. In a good side players do this automatically. Trouble with us is ours don't really know each other or the system the gaffer wants to use.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Bigdog
February 12, 2017, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Quote"

This is a problem that needs sorting in the summer. Pointed out by a neutral. Lack of pace in the back three has never been addressed this season. We do get done by nippy forwards.

Can't get to as many games as I'd like, so after hearing great things about Collins and the much improved Pearson, I was looking forward to seeing this for myself at Stevenage. Well Shaun had a really poor game and was off the pace of their nippy forwards and not as commanding in the air as usual. I expected more from Collins who also was quite slow and at times looked a bit frail like some of the older players can do in the odd game. I know fans will say that so and so is alright if he has someone quick alongside him, or so and so is alright with a younger player next to him. Well the players playing regularly in the team need to cope on their own and do their own job and not need others to make up for their weaknesses. They've obviously had a decent run of games around Xmas because we didn't concede many but Carlisle's goal gave me cause for concern, the needless free kick at Doncaster, the defending at Stevenage and now the Crewe horror show after seeing the highlights. Don't think Boyce is good enough and it's far too early for anyone to say about Gunning yet.

I think recruitment in this area will be key in the summer as Collins isn't going to get better at his age and Shaun isn't going to get quicker. The other priority is obviously a couple of wide men and maybe another forward.

I was interested to read a neutral's point of view because it confirmed a little fear I had in my head. I get the love in people have for SP because he's a model pro for GTFC but I think he has flaws in his game that physically he'll never be able to improve upon. We got drubbed 5-0 yesterday and by the looks of the Crewe goals the back three were all over the place and not tight enough to any of their strikers and yet one or two said SP had a good game. SP has done wonders at the club but I'm a bit more cold blooded than most in wanting three points every week..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
arryarryarry
February 12, 2017, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Having seen the goals again, I think for the first goal Davies was still in the dressing room.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neutral thoughts on the Crewe game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.