6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
February 12, 2017, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Bignot haa got some serious thinking to do. At Colchester under Hurst we were 3-0 down and he immediately changed it and brought on Pearson and Dis and unsurprisingly we improved and nearly got something. So Bignot leaves it. At 2-0 the game is still salvagable. Against a side with a recently awful record, get 2 banks of 4 and get to half time 2-0 and then take it from there. Yesterday after the early goal it seemed we went to pieces defensively with Andrew, as always when it comes to defending, was particularly atrocious.

I don't know if there's any truth in these rumours about players being unhappy but I would be surprised if it was the ones in the team.

And on top of all of that Hurst gets Shrewsbury to be the first team since 2015 to win at Scunny.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
moosey_club
February 12, 2017, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from OllieGTFC
https://youtu.be/AeISHcF1ySU I actually feel sorry for Marcus, the guy is passionate and the players let him down

Embarrassing....not so much MB but some of the "screamed" comments, all that was missing was torches and a creepy castle on a hill.....its a single game of football in a season....get a grip......we are supporters of a football team, loyal supporters,  however i am not sure many of us have been either a full time professional footballer, a manager of a League or even Conference team or have the necessary qualifications, experience, C.V to be manager of GTFC.
We all have differing opinions as we see on here and other social media outlets and not very often , if ever, do we all agree.

MB was wrong to stand there and engage in such chat IMO,just acknowledge the support, mouth the word sorry and go sort the team out, speak to the radio and apologise to the supporters in a coherent way post match rather than try and engage 1-700 or however many were left by then.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2017, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from moosey_club

Embarrassing....not so much MB but some of the "screamed" comments, all that was missing was torches and a creepy castle on a hill.....its a single game of football in a season....get a grip......we are supporters of a football team, loyal supporters,  however i am not sure many of us have been either a full time professional footballer, a manager of a League or even Conference team or have the necessary qualifications, experience, C.V to be manager of GTFC.
We all have differing opinions as we see on here and other social media outlets and not very often , if ever, do we all agree.

MB was wrong to stand there and engage in such chat IMO,just acknowledge the support, mouth the word sorry and go sort the team out, speak to the radio and apologise to the supporters in a coherent way post match rather than try and engage 1-700 or however many were left by then.

He is trying too hard to be the opposite of the rather dour (but successful) Hurst. All his energies are needed on the training ground with the players. Like you say, better to leave the PR till he has time to consider all the options. I am surprised, very surprised really that he is finding it  all so difficult. He was manager of Solihull for 6 years wasn't he? Not at the same level, but a good grounding nevertheless I would have thought.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
Mariner93er
February 12, 2017, 2:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I think we have to look at it in the long run, which was not easy on the train back yesterday. He has come in in a position were we were pretty much safe, with an outside shot at promotion. He's decided that he wants to stamp his mark on the team now, which could be beneficial at the beginning of next season when we will presumably have pretty much the same squad as now, whilst other teams have changed. I get that it can be argued that he didn't need to change the team like he has, but ultimately, what was to lose? I doubt anyone can believe the squad he inherited was capable of the form those in the playoffs are currently displaying. Therefore, in the short term there was always a big chance we'do suffer, but in the long term, it could be very beneficial.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 3:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from moosey_club

I fully agree with what your saying Moosey but we have been talking about "single games of football" and "bad days at the office" a lot recently. From what I have seen we have a very, very long way before we can be considered decent. Maybe Marcus will take us there maybe he won't I am not convinced either way TBH but people giving it the big un when he was stood there yesterday does not help,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
moosey_club
February 12, 2017, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I fully agree with what your saying Moosey but we have been talking about "single games of football" and "bad days at the office" a lot recently. From what I have seen we have a very, very long way before we can be considered decent. Maybe Marcus will take us there maybe he won't I am not convinced either way TBH but people giving it the big un when he was stood there yesterday does not help,

we have been talking about it for the last 4/5 seasons as well...is that MB's fault ?
Hurst got us into lots of big game scenarios in his time and was ultimately succesful in just one of those and that took 5 seasons and god knows how many players. MB has been here weeks.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
Eastendmariner
February 12, 2017, 6:39pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Realist  First away since we dropped out of the league  Welcome back. See you Tuesday then  we are at Newport

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 6:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

we have been talking about it for the last 4/5 seasons as well...is that MB's fault ?
Hurst got us into lots of big game scenarios in his time and was ultimately succesful in just one of those and that took 5 seasons and god knows how many players. MB has been here weeks.

Not sure what relevance PH's record before 15/05/16 has on the predicament we find ourselves in now. I don't know for definite but I think MB possibly had more financial resource at his disposal for the window just gone than PH ever had.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
moosey_club
February 12, 2017, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Not sure what relevance PH's record before 15/05/16 has on the predicament we find ourselves in now. I don't know for definite but I think MB possibly had more financial resource at his disposal for the window just gone than PH ever had.

referring back to Hursts period was to highlight that the MB has had minimal time to introduce and change a whole lot, not only on the player front where he inherited a rather odd squad but also in the back room which he is also building...Hurst complained about lack of coaching etc and was reportedly unhappy about that side of things....MB has started addressing that,.....personally i think he may have overdone it in the short period he has but i can certainly see why he felt tempted....not sure many of us would argue too strongly about the personnel heading out or reasons given for some of them.  
The quality of the ones coming in are yet to be proved, as is the suitability of the squad to his preferred system.....but he has managed to tempt players here which s something Hurst struggled with.
MB's methods may not bear fruit for a season or two, we have been away for a considerable time and things have moved on, on and off the pitch, the whole club has to establish itself and acclimatise to this level...including ourselves as supporters.....we shouldnt expect play off finals, cup finals etc every season now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2017, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

referring back to Hursts period was to highlight that the MB has had minimal time to introduce and change a whole lot, not only on the player front where he inherited a rather odd squad but also in the back room which he is also building...Hurst complained about lack of coaching etc and was reportedly unhappy about that side of things....MB has started addressing that,.....personally i think he may have overdone it in the short period he has but i can certainly see why he felt tempted....not sure many of us would argue too strongly about the personnel heading out or reasons given for some of them.  
The quality of the ones coming in are yet to be proved, as is the suitability of the squad to his preferred system.....but he has managed to tempt players here which s something Hurst struggled with.
MB's methods may not bear fruit for a season or two, we have been away for a considerable time and things have moved on, on and off the pitch, the whole club has to establish itself and acclimatise to this level...including ourselves as supporters.....we shouldnt expect play off finals, cup finals etc every season now.

All good stuff above, completely see what your saying Moosey. What I do know is that MB is bursting to do a good job which will ultimately work well for him.    

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.