Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Seen every game under Bignot so far and come to following conclusions

Squad overall improved in terms of individual players
Bit like Les Dawson on the piano, all the notes in wrong order. No clear pattern of play or system which for a full time pro manager is worrying.
Interviews  are a car crash. Tonight he ran out of cliches and his own answer for the performance was they got blown away in first twenty minutes. No excrement. The question was why. .......he was unable to answer and actually buried is head in his hands as was lost.

My fear is that if we see that he is full of cliches and seems more concerned about courting favour with fans by blowing smoke up our arses, the players will quickly suss him out too.

I'm not going to Newport, cos today has sapped me for a week

Bignot...honeymoon over lad and time to turn the talk into some walk.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this thread as I could not go today but the above post made me think.

At this stage I can't see where he has brought better in, its easy to pin point the inadequacies of Summerfield and Berret but I just can't see it maybe it's me,  I'm sure he has brought in potential to be fair though.

What I see is a "revolving door" at Cheapside, new style of play, new players, some popular players (with the fans and players) left out, too many signings that are "raw talent" and a number of fans who have been seduced by MB as he is "good copy" versus the last manager who was a miserable so and so but though he was miserable would not have embarrassed the club on air like MB and Macca did after Stevenage..

So from what I see the challenge MB faces is,

- Replacing the top scorer - not his fault that BTW but it would always be on the "to do" list
- Sorting a shape that fits with the players ability
- Bedding in new players with FL league experience
- Bedding in a lot of players with FA league experience,
- Keeping what is still a big squad happy
- Picking up the players after a hammering
- One day on the training ground to fix the above before a long trip to a land where the s54g sheep
- Reducing the wage bill
- Keeping the majority of the fans on side

So am I personally still behind him, yes! Despite the fact that the above would indicate that he has made his first league job harder than it might have been. Good luck to him, I think he needs a bit now.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
gtfc98
February 11, 2017, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
I didn't go today (thank god). I'm not a massive fan of wing backs but if he insists on playing this system then he needs to play Mills, Davies just doesn't have the pace or energy to play this role and he often looks completely exposed.

The whole thing makes the decision to let Chambers go even more bizarre. Have him and Tombola on the bench and at least there's an option to change it when it doesn't work. Think it may be a slog to the end of the season but think we'll be OK.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
Bigdog
February 11, 2017, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this thread as I could not go today but the above post made me think.

At this stage I can't see where he has brought better in, its easy to pin point the inadequacies of Summerfield and Berret but I just can't see it maybe it's me,  I'm sure he has brought in potential to be fair though.

What I see is a "revolving door" at Cheapside, new style of play, new players, some popular players (with the fans and players) left out, too many signings that are "raw talent" and a number of fans who have been seduced by MB as he is "good copy" versus the last manager who was a miserable so and so but though he was miserable would not have embarrassed the club on air like MB and Macca did after Stevenage..

- Replacing the top scorer - not his fault that BTW but it would always be on the "to do" list
- One day on the training ground to fix the above before a long trip to a land where the s54g sheep
- Reducing the wage bill

So am I personally still behind him, yes! Despite the fact that the above would indicate that he has made his first league job harder than it might have been. Good luck to him, I think he needs a bit now.

UTM!

Come off it.. Spoilt comment and then the ear cupping in a cup final on national TV.

They all have their moments under pressure (even the best of them)  in their own individual way. They get away with murder if their team's winning and absolutely nothing after a defeat..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2017, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

Come off it.. Spoilt comment and then the ear cupping in a cup final on national TV.

They all have their moments under pressure in their own individual way. They get away with murder if their team's winning and absolutely nothing after a defeat..

Depends how you see it, spoilt comment was inappropriate definitely but after the sh1t he took at Halifax I am not sure I would not have responded. would you??  Omar used to cup his ears to anyone after scoring many players do but they seem to be allowed to get away with it?

My point about Stevenage is that as the manager MB is the one (or should be) who gives the press/media permission to speak to players after a game the fact that Macca who clearly had an axe to grind was sent out was at best an error of judgement if not poor management control.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2017, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

- Reducing the wage bill

UTM!

Let us be brutally honest. He has not brought any players bar one that are better than what we had. Different yes, but those that may be a tad better (Osborne?) could have been integrated into a settled team with minimum fuss had he taken stock.

He obviously felt the need to get players in who he was more comfortable with, which is fair enough, but alarm bells started going off for me when he thought it necessary to do it mid season. He himself had to get used to managing in the football league; the team he inherited was doing pretty well and not many managers come in and get a well drilled and talented squad sitting in or just outside the play off positions.

He had a great victory at Plymouth with Hurst's squad and it was all looking rosy but I guess the players got the vibes that he was going to get his own players in and morale takes a dip.

We haven't played well in any of his home games (last week was a bit better) and nobody seems to know what he trying to achieve.

We are now in a difficult position - we have a new team that presumably cost a fair bit in wages and signing on fees and such like, so it is up to the manager to make it work. Why he put himself under such pressure I am not sure, but my theory is that he has really wanted to become a Football League manager and he has tried too hard to make an immediate impact.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
jonnyboy82
February 11, 2017, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Did I just read that someone actually felt sorry for bignot ?

Made me laugh.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
Jaws
February 11, 2017, 8:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Can't believe no one has mentioned Comley, he was a disgrace and showed no effort whatsoever.

Main issue seemed to be related with pace and no efforts to mark anyone even at set plays.

Wish the defence especially Pearson would stop shrugging their shoulders and blaming each other whenever something doesn't go right!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
Pontooner
February 11, 2017, 8:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186

Let us be brutally honest. He has not brought any players bar one that are better than what we had. Different yes, but those that may be a tad better (Osborne?) could have been integrated into a settled team with minimum fuss had he taken stock.

He obviously felt the need to get players in who he was more comfortable with, which is fair enough, but alarm bells started going off for me when he thought it necessary to do it mid season. He himself had to get used to managing in the football league; the team he inherited was doing pretty well and not many managers come in and get a well drilled and talented squad sitting in or just outside the play off positions.

He had a great victory at Plymouth with Hurst's squad and it was all looking rosy but I guess the players got the vibes that he was going to get his own players in and morale takes a dip.

We haven't played well in any of his home games (last week was a bit better) and nobody seems to know what he trying to achieve.

We are now in a difficult position - we have a new team that presumably cost a fair bit in wages and signing on fees and such like, so it is up to the manager to make it work. Why he put himself under such pressure I am not sure, but my theory is that he has really wanted to become a Football League manager and he has tried too hard to make an immediate impact.

Spot on summary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
golfer
February 11, 2017, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Jaws
Can't believe no one has mentioned Comley, he was a disgrace and showed no effort whatsoever.

Main issue seemed to be related with pace and no efforts to mark anyone even at set plays.

Wish the defence especially Pearson would stop shrugging their shoulders and blaming each other whenever something doesn't go right!

I mentioned him and got red x's. I have never rated him and today he was utter shite. To me he can't do anything very good and I bet QPR are paying his full wages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2017, 8:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113

I also think we are in a tricky position. Bignot is good at signing loads of players, he doesn't seem to be particularly clever at getting them to play. Mike Newell spent his time signing loads of players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.