Posh Harry
February 10, 2017, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Kevin Johnson.

Was ref for Colchester earlier in the season, but more noted for being the ref in the 2nd leg against Gateshead when sending neilson off for having his foot within 6 inches of an opposition player.

Excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 10, 2017, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
And because that cheating Craig Baxter leaped up about 6 feet into the air and screamed like a baby and the referee couldn't wait to produce his card!

I'm not bitter, honest.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
sydney
February 10, 2017, 1:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Bad Memories please dont
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
ginnywings
February 10, 2017, 2:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
There is a smallish pool of refs, so i imagine most will have previous and not just with us. I bet other teams have their stories to tell too, so we can only hope that this time around, he makes the right decisions, unless of course he gives us a couple of dubious pens to even things up.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Cloudy
February 10, 2017, 2:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings
There is a smallish pool of refs, so i imagine most will have previous and not just with us. I bet other teams have their stories to tell too, so we can only hope that this time around, he makes the right decisions, unless of course he gives us a couple of dubious pens to even things up.  

I wonder who will take them
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
malkamalka
February 10, 2017, 5:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Posh Harry
Kevin Johnson.

Was ref for Colchester earlier in the season, but more noted for being the ref in the 2nd leg against Gateshead when sending neilson off for having his foot within 6 inches of an opposition player.

Excellent.

Sounds like he's hoping for a call from Mike Riley. ALL PGMO refs are like that!  

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Grantham_Mariner
February 10, 2017, 5:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
It's a long way from Somerset to Cheshire (and Essex) to Ref a game, but there are only a limited number of games a Ref can do closer to home I suppose!

We have never won with him in charge, do you think he does not like us, or is a 'homer' (He has never been to BP), we will know after Saturday.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
gaz57
February 10, 2017, 6:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

A Parker and a biro ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Paris Mariner
February 10, 2017, 8:08pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
As a former referee myself I find these posts tedious at best. They inherently question a referee's integrity purely on some biased judgement from a previous match. Without referees, there is no football and people forget that. Further to that, those who criticise regularly are not willing to put themselves in the middle.

When I was 15, in my first few months as a referee, I was severely abused for no apparent reason. Having refereed East Coast Juniors v a team from Newark I was labelled a tos*er.

The game was typical of kids football one team - in this case the home team ECJ - won at a canter and the visitors lost (in this case the team from Newark) and each side were 'happy' and disappointed' with the referees performance for basically pathetic reason. Neither had judged my performance on it's actual merits. As per usual.

As was the case at Wainfleet Road, the changing rooms had been locked wjislt the game was on for reasons of potential theft and after the match there was somesort of delay regarding the reopening of the dressing rooms. While this went on, a man and his 5/6 year old daughter (it had been an U9s game) of the Newark side emerged through the crowd. Having seen me he looked at his daughter and pointed at me : "that's a tos**r, you've never seen one before but's that what they look like". He took one last look at me and left, scuttling back through the crowd of people. Parents from both sides saw the incident and said nothing.

It was, now I am 30, a truly despicable thing to do to a young referee who enjoys football and was simply refereeing as a way to stay in the game. I am sure worse has happened and it makes these type of posts all the more deplorable. The referee who is appointed is the referee and that is that. Ultimately, he is a fan who has had more success than us at staying in the game and deserves credit for taking such terrible abuse rather than being written off before a ball has even been kicked. Just like our players a referee can have a bad day at he office and he is ultimately judged on his overall performances at this level, not just one, so rather than slate him before a ball has been kicked, take a moment to thank people like him who turned up at your Sunday league game on the long road to make it to this level.

Football is for everyone.

Up the the Mighty Mariners.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 18
Abdul19
February 10, 2017, 9:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Very good points there, PM.

That Neilson sending off was a fucking disgrace though

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
arryarryarry
February 10, 2017, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Paris Mariner
As a former referee myself I find these posts tedious at best. They inherently question a referee's integrity purely on some biased judgement from a previous match. Without referees, there is no football and people forget that. Further to that, those who criticise regularly are not willing to put themselves in the middle.

When I was 15, in my first few months as a referee, I was severely abused for no apparent reason. Having refereed East Coast Juniors v a team from Newark I was labelled a tos*er.

The game was typical of kids football one team - in this case the home team ECJ - won at a canter and the visitors lost (in this case the team from Newark) and each side were 'happy' and disappointed' with the referees performance for basically pathetic reason. Neither had judged my performance on it's actual merits. As per usual.

As was the case at Wainfleet Road, the changing rooms had been locked wjislt the game was on for reasons of potential theft and after the match there was somesort of delay regarding the reopening of the dressing rooms. While this went on, a man and his 5/6 year old daughter (it had been an U9s game) of the Newark side emerged through the crowd. Having seen me he looked at his daughter and pointed at me : "that's a tos**r, you've never seen one before but's that what they look like". He took one last look at me and left, scuttling back through the crowd of people. Parents from both sides saw the incident and said nothing.

It was, now I am 30, a truly despicable thing to do to a young referee who enjoys football and was simply refereeing as a way to stay in the game. I am sure worse has happened and it makes these type of posts all the more deplorable. The referee who is appointed is the referee and that is that. Ultimately, he is a fan who has had more success than us at staying in the game and deserves credit for taking such terrible abuse rather than being written off before a ball has even been kicked. Just like our players a referee can have a bad day at he office and he is ultimately judged on his overall performances at this level, not just one, so rather than slate him before a ball has been kicked, take a moment to thank people like him who turned up at your Sunday league game on the long road to make it to this level.

There was nothing biased about sending off Nielsen, he copulated up pure and simple, that could have cost us a place in the play-off final and an earlier return to the Football League.

And I bet the twit didn't have the guts to ring up and apologise.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Bigdog
February 10, 2017, 10:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Posh Harry
Kevin Johnson.

Was ref for Colchester earlier in the season
, but more noted for being the ref in the 2nd leg against Gateshead when sending neilson off for having his foot within 6 inches of an opposition player.

Excellent.

Missed an absolutely blatant two handed push on Omar as he was about to head the ball into the net from a couple of yards out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
RichMariner
February 11, 2017, 1:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I absolutely get the case for referees. They put up with a lot of abuse - much of it is totally undeserved, or just over the top.

They're human, not robots, and are therefore just as prone as the next person to have a bad day at the office.

I guess what makes us fans struggle to sympathise with their plight, more than we do with players or managers, comes down to accountability.

When they make a mistake, you never ever see them, or hear them, acknowledge it.

They don't do post-match interviews and they never have to explain themselves - and it's because of this silence fans get the impression that they just go home and forget about it because they don't care that it fooked someone's day/week/season up.

And I know that's not the case - but it's that silence that does it for me.

If the ref had come out and said 'I got that wrong, Scott Neilson didn't deserve the red card I gave him and it was the reaction of Craig Baxter that affected my judgment' then, even though the damage had been done, I think we'd all feel a little differently about refs in the long run.

But of course no one likes admitting they got anything wrong.

And that leads me on to another topic, which is how players have a responsibility to make life easier for refs, instead of diving, overreacting and generally trying to con them into sending other people off.

That plays a part too.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
golfer
February 11, 2017, 6:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Agree Rich Mariner. In my playing days the only diving was in the swimming pool so the refs job was a lot easier- a foul was a foul and that was it. It seems to me that it is win at all costs. At corners the ref. needs 10 pairs of eyes-everybody, forward or defender, is holding each other and there's always a player who is assigned purely to block the goalkeeper. That's the person who the ref. needs to send off for a start to show he isn't going to be fckd about.

If I was a ref. I would send off the first away player who commits a foul to show I mean business-- at Blundell Park  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Mrs Doyle
February 11, 2017, 7:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Paris Mariner

All very admirable and abuse is bad especially at lower levels but when a Ref such as the one at Wembley v Bristol Rovers can decide to ignore the rules for "spoiling the spectacle." reasons his own words then they will get no respect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
lee65
February 11, 2017, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

Missed an absolutely blatant two handed push on Omar as he was about to head the ball into the net from a couple of yards out

To be fair at Colchester, he also missed send Boyce off for a second bookable offence after about 30 mins, before we subbed him  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
chaos33
February 11, 2017, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Bigdog

I remember that. It was an absolutely clear penalty.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
buckstown
February 11, 2017, 1:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
It never fails to amaze me when watching reply after reply, how often football referees and cricket umpires get it right, despite only have one chance and the ball travelling at about 80mph
At some point football will have to embrace technology to get the few wrongs corrected and I suspect it will be entertaining like it is in rugby etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
golfer
February 11, 2017, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Have all lady referees--women never get anything wrong--ask them  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ref for tomorrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.