3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 2, 2017, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Whilst we would all hope that the new signings make an immediate impact, particularly on the quality & style of football played at home, it would be over optimistic to expect this in the next couple of months.

I seem to recall in Buckleys first spell you could see what the team was trying to achieve but we did not quite have the players with Diddy's arrival at Easter adding a bit of quality. Personally, by easter I would hope to be seeing clearly the pattern of play we are to adopt going forward, with the required plan B, and that the players brought in are comfortable and capable of delivering what the Manager requires.

Ideally a strong finish to the season rsults wise to ensure that we enter next season with the same optimism and season ticket sales as we enjoyed this year.

I am also sure with all these players on the books without some departures to Conference clubs that we will be hearing some more rumours of discontent and unhappiness with the Manager's approac & style. Goes with the territory and most people dislike change, particularly if it means you may be out of work, but hopefully this will all be for the greater good and put us in a position where the play offs will be expectation rather than hope.

Roll on saturday where we should have a good away following & several new players to watch, I would love a fluent victory but a scrappy 1-0 with glimpses of what we can hope to see in the future will do me and help me repel the Chimps new found "red army" down the local pub afterwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
ginnywings
February 2, 2017, 12:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I don't think we will see the pattern of play properly until we get in some wingers, which won't happen now this season. MB has said the right ones are not available at this time, so he is clearly looking for some. They will obviously impact on the way we set up in the long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Magsinrio
February 2, 2017, 12:22pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +220
Gold Stars: 2
I think an important bit of info from Bignob s signings is that he keeps stating that several of his signings are/ were with a view to next season and developing them further. I will be happy with mid table and hope he is given the time to try and show what they can do next season. It is also encouraging to hear that he appears to have quite a lot of coverage in place re scouting across the country whereas not long ago there didn't sound like we had any.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2017, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Magsinrio
I think an important bit of info from Bignob s signings is that he keeps stating that several of his signings are/ were with a view to next season and developing them further. I will be happy with mid table and hope he is given the time to try and show what they can do next season. It is also encouraging to hear that he appears to have quite a lot of coverage in place re scouting across the country whereas not long ago there didn't sound like we had any.

You have to have a bit of both though dont you - longer term planning but also instant results, or at least improved performances for the rest of this season which still has a fair way to run.

He has obviously got assurances from the board that they are looking longer term with him in charge, but that can change very quickly so if I was him I would now concentrate on getting these players playing in a system they understand and can get results from. Some decent sustained  attacking play towards the Pontoon would be good as it seems months since we have had the opposition really on the back foot.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Maringer
February 2, 2017, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think we will see the pattern of play properly until we get in some wingers, which won't happen now this season. MB has said the right ones are not available at this time, so he is clearly looking for some. They will obviously impact on the way we set up in the long term.

If that's the case, then we've got a difficult time ahead of us. The 3-5-2 which we've settled on in recent weeks obviously can work if we're on song (and away from home!), but is very limited otherwise and I'd like to see us push on, possibly to try and mount a push towards the play-offs rather than just marking time until next season. The sheer number of signings we've made, including a number for fees, mean that anything else is just a waste of time and money. You can't expect to play almost half a season without proper organisation and a clear plan.

I'd like to see a bit more of an obvious pattern to our play - are we going to attempt to pass it through midfield, or get it up front more quickly? Are we going to press the opposition in possession, or are we going to absorb pressure? If Bignot ultimately wants to play with wingers, we'll be back at square one come the end of the season because all we have done so far is build a squad, not a team.

I would hope that, now Bogle has departed, Bignot will begin to experiment a bit more with the formation to see if we can get the new players into some sort of a shape which can offer more of a threat at home because we've had very little entertainment at BP in recent months. The easy thing to do would be just to drop Asante in up front (and I think he'll do this to keep 3-5-2 this weekend), but I wonder if we'll see perhaps Yussuf and Jones deployed as wingers at times? Bignot mentioned Jones is very versatile and I believe Yussuf has played wide in the past as well.

Otherwise, another attempt at 4-3-3, perhaps, or 4-3-1-2 with Jones 'in the hole'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Grimsby2012
February 2, 2017, 12:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Rubbish signings

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 2, 2017, 1:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree he has mentioned wingers, or lack of them, a few times but I kinda get the impression he is more Alf Ramsey then Alan Buckley when it comes to wing play. Might be wrong but with the plethora of central midfield & central strikers recruited in January IMO wingers arn't his priority but may be part of his fall back position or plan B. Time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Posh Harry
February 2, 2017, 1:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Magsinrio

I think we had 2 or 3 scouts previously.

Unfortunately they were all based around the York area 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2017, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Maringer

If that's the case, then we've got a difficult time ahead of us. The 3-5-2 which we've settled on in recent weeks obviously can work if we're on song (and away from home!), but is very limited otherwise and I'd like to see us push on, possibly to try and mount a push towards the play-offs rather than just marking time until next season. The sheer number of signings we've made, including a number for fees, mean that anything else is just a waste of time and money. You can't expect to play almost half a season without proper organisation and a clear plan.

I'd like to see a bit more of an obvious pattern to our play - are we going to attempt to pass it through midfield, or get it up front more quickly? Are we going to press the opposition in possession, or are we going to absorb pressure? If Bignot ultimately wants to play with wingers, we'll be back at square one come the end of the season because all we have done so far is build a squad, not a team.

I would hope that, now Bogle has departed, Bignot will begin to experiment a bit more with the formation to see if we can get the new players into some sort of a shape which can offer more of a threat at home because we've had very little entertainment at BP in recent months. The easy thing to do would be just to drop Asante in up front (and I think he'll do this to keep 3-5-2 this weekend), but I wonder if we'll see perhaps Yussuf and Jones deployed as wingers at times? Bignot mentioned Jones is very versatile and I believe Yussuf has played wide in the past as well.

Otherwise, another attempt at 4-3-3, perhaps, or 4-3-1-2 with Jones 'in the hole'?

I think we do have a plan B/wide option If needed, could we not push Mills up on the right ahead of Ben Davis? Mills is not slow, can go past people and take the ball to the bye line and cross it. Then it's Tombola on the left where he started the season versus Morecombe and 2 in the middle, it's possible rather than probable.

From what I have seen so far is that 3 - 5 - 2 has worked at times but for me there are couple of floors, one for too often recently the CBs have been left with the ball at their feet and due to our lack of movement in midfield, inability to receive and make a pass or the opposition pressing the space the CBs have had to look to punt it long, similar to our time in non league. Our opponents in general have found this easy to defend.

All being well the addition of some midfield talent will ease this as long as it's coupled with better work rate and the pressing game that has been talked about but we have not seen so far. I also suspect that Marcus has applied 3 - 5 - 2  as a bit of an insurance policy as especially in games like Carlisle at BP and Crawley away we where getting over run in mid field, packing it out Exeter apart has left us tighter.

I think also that when a side works hard to press back Mills and Andrew we have had real problems getting any supply up to the front players or attacking mids, this I think was an issue at Stevenage on Saturday where the 3 - 5 -2 was effectively snubbed out. What I have seen of L2 so far is that is you can get in behind sides either by passing through them or on the break you can cause them problems.

Not sure what it means in reality but I would like to see what the Opta stats say, are we creating more chances on goal since adopting 3 - 5 = 2?
I don't expect free flowing football this season but never did and I think the rest of it will be as "stop start" as it has been to date and I am not that bothered about promotions for a while either. What I would like to see though is if the current shape is not working with regard to creating shots on goal MB changes it, I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2017, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Grimsby2012
Rubbish signings

Thanks for your inspiring and thoughtful response
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wow!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.