3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2017, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Sometime before Christmas, I was told/advised that MB planned an eventful January window but I didn't envisage that.

Of the outs, I completely get the loans out and hope that those whose names have been released go and secure their futures. I get the sale of Omar, however we might miss his goals, he was clearly on his way in his mind and I don't think we would have ever seen him at his best again - his individual performance against Stevenage was one of the best I've ever seen.

The ins really excite me, from the loan extensions of Henderson and Comley to Everton loanee Calum Dyson. Gunning adds to our defence, more attack minded midfielders and the pace of Yussuf and Asante.

We now need to be patient - things are not going to gel overnight but you can now look at the squad and look forward to who is going to be with us next season and already see a plan.

Oh, and I think we handled the Macca situation really well too!
Private Message
February 1, 2017, 8:14pm
Guest User
Has he ever been better than at home against Stevenage? I think that was the best single performance I've seen from a Town player in 20+ years.

Agree with the rest. It was inevitable and clearly he wanted/needed to go. Under the cloud of Omar going I've lost sight of the fact that we have signed some very promising players - all of whom were targets. There's no Straker in this lot.
Reply: 1 - 22
headingly_mariner
February 1, 2017, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 97
Has he ever been better than at home against Stevenage? I think that was the best single performance I've seen from a Town player in 20+ years.

Agree with the rest. It was inevitable and clearly he wanted/needed to go. Under the cloud of Omar going I've lost sight of the fact that we have signed some very promising players - all of whom were targets. There's no Straker in this lot.

His early season form was fantastic and well above this league. He had definitely outgrown us and hopefully he makes a real success of it. It shows that speculating on talent from lower leagues and developing them can pay off.  
Bignot has certainly spent, we have a huge squad now and hopefully he can get them playing. I'm excited to see what is pretty much a new team since the start of January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2017, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Sometime before Christmas, I was told/advised that MB planned an eventful January window but I didn't envisage that.

Of the outs, I completely get the loans out and hope that those whose names have been released go and secure their futures. I get the sale of Omar, however we might miss his goals, he was clearly on his way in his mind and I don't think we would have ever seen him at his best again - his individual performance against Stevenage was one of the best I've ever seen.

The ins really excite me, from the loan extensions of Henderson and Comley to Everton loanee Calum Dyson. Gunning adds to our defence, more attack minded midfielders and the pace of Yussuf and Asante.

We now need to be patient - things are not going to gel overnight but you can now look at the squad and look forward to who is going to be with us next season and already see a plan.

Oh, and I think we handled the Macca situation really well too!

How long would you say would be reasonable to expect us to start looking .o.k.?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2017, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How long would you say would be reasonable to expect us to start looking .o.k.?

Haven't thought about it too much. We haven't made too many defensive changes so I don't expect us to start conceding loads and the midfielders we've signed look to be more attack-minded - it's a time of transition, let's enjoy the ride.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Hertsmariner
February 1, 2017, 10:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Yes indeed a wow month! I'm still in shock, to be honest. However, perhaps the signals from MB were clear: the squad was in obvious need of 'upgrading', and particularly in relation to a less-than-dominant midfield. In that respect, it will be very interesting to see how the spine of the team is re-shaped and who, and how many, of the newcomers will be given the immediate task of forming a cohesive unit. Doubtless it will take some time for the dust to settle and a new style/method of play to emerge but the money generated from the Bogle transfer seems to me to be being invested wisely-I hope! As MB seems to indicate, the present process of renewal is all about building a club to compete at a higher level and it also seems to me that his instincts, learned from his accumulated experience of club building, are correct for the longer term. Whilst perhaps we are all rather caught up in the whirlwind of present activity, I think the club is being 'shaped' for a brighter future. These are certainly interesting, even exciting, times at GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2017, 11:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
MB obviously had targets in mind plus a Plan B to cover the Bogle sale which has made it a very impressive month. I can't remember many close seasons with as much excitement let alone a January window.

What I hope is that MB has as clear an idea in his mind about how he wants the side to play and who he wants in it as he did with the transfers.

Even with a clear out he will still have a big squad to keep happy.

But what impresses me is the way he enthuses about players, especially those new midfielders with a talent to entertain. I think we will see the goals shared out more evenly now as the side can't look to Bogle for salvation. A lot to look forward to.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2017, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I think now the dust has settled we will be able to judge how good this window was or wasn't when the players have been together for a month or two.

This window has certainly seen plenty of activity but very few people who are Town fans and contribute to this board can really chart the quality of the incoming players as we have not seen them play that often.

One thing I have never seen is so many players come into a side (and possibly be starters) from a division below in an attempt to take us to the division above. Not saying this is wrong in fact getting some lads who are hungry and ambitious in versus some journeymen FL pros could pay off in the end.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
grimsby pete
February 2, 2017, 11:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
With all the comings and not many goings,

With the extra training sessions,

The players will be having staggered lunch breaks,

The kit cleaning person will need some overtime,

AND

We will need a bigger bus.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Garth
February 2, 2017, 11:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Has anyone got the franchise to provide food to the Waltham facilities
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wow!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.