2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
VinnyGTFC
February 1, 2017, 12:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Years ago I recall Brian Laws bringing in a variety of younger or lower league players who he refered to as Rough Diamonds. One good example was Nicky Southall. As time went by some of those tended to play more games than perhaps intended and we struggled a bit and the performances of these players was mixed. Moving on about 2 or 3 years and most of those rough diamonds found their feet elsewhere and became quality players.  Had Laws and such lads stayed together who knows.
Now we have Bignot with some rough diamonds some of which have never stepped into the Football league.
These lads will have good days and they will have bad days and to some extent we as fans will always have some sway on wether Bignot remains longer term and gets to mould these players.
So remember who they are. Where they came from and what we all want in the end. Cos even Bignot really is a Rough Diamond management wise and I think we owe them all time and space to develop.
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 1, 2017, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Osborne, Asante, Jones and maybe even Mills could make the club a fortune over the next 18 months. Equally though it might not click and they could flop, I expect at least one or two of those to succeed mind you.

By the way, is there any indication that JF will be pulling some of his loans out?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
mimma
February 1, 2017, 2:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
No there is absolutely no indication that he Will take any money out to pay off his "benign" loans.

People on here just like to make up stories just to have a go at Fenty and co. Let us not forget that those loans have kept Town afloat, and without them we would have been well and truly fcuked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
ginnywings
February 1, 2017, 3:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
To be fair, 09 didn't make anything up, just asked a question. Personally, i don't care what the club does with the windfall, it's up to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2017, 3:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
I would be concerned if the club spent all of the money on players. I would like to see some more investment in the back room staff, medical/fitness support and possibly something nice to keep the bank manager on side.

I actually think now that Marcus has brought a few in he now needs to demonstrate that he can spot a player and give the club a bit of ROI, no expectations about play offs or promotion just get everybody settled and start playing the ball on the ground, If he does that the rest including next seasons budget will look after itself.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Kris2
February 1, 2017, 4:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Next summer will be interesting, hopefully we can start offloading that excess and bring in more players who we can really develop into a good team. We did bring in good players over the summer but some have not quite made the cut as far as what we need to be a success in league two.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
grimsby pete
February 1, 2017, 5:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Mariner_09
Osborne, Asante, Jones and maybe even Mills could make the club a fortune over the next 18 months.

Or they could stay and get us a couple of promotions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
dapperz fun pub
February 2, 2017, 10:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mimma
No there is absolutely no indication that he Will take any money out to pay off his "benign" loans.

People on here just like to make up stories just to have a go at Fenty and co. Let us not forget that those loans have kept Town afloat, and without them we would have been well and truly fcuked.

What do you mean fcked ? Like a Rotherham fcuked or like a Darlington fcked ?
In truth we don't know how it would have gone if fenty had walked away but what we do know is under him it's been pretty disastrous with over half a decade in non league never really challenging for the title. I think gtfc would have survived without Jon fenty not a fact just my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2017, 11:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

What do you mean fcked ? Like a Rotherham fcuked or like a Darlington fcked ?
In truth we don't know how it would have gone if fenty had walked away but what we do know is under him it's been pretty disastrous with over half a decade in non league never really challenging for the title. I think gtfc would have survived without Jon fenty not a fact just my opinion

Opinions are best when based upon fact. I don't recall many people queuing up to help us out when it went mammaries up, though I do recall the likes of  Mr"where taking Town to the prem" Huxford on the front page of the Telewag when the gravy train was in full swing.

Yes some people have expressed interested in recent years but of they really cared for GTFC as a football club then they would compromise and work with others to make it better, that's how clubs progress.

Whatever you think of JF a really tough decade would have been even tougher without his support.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
dapperz fun pub
February 2, 2017, 11:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Opinions are best when based upon fact. I don't recall many people queuing up to help us out when it went mammaries up, though I do recall the likes of  Mr"where taking Town to the prem" Huxford on the front page of the Telewag when the gravy train was in full swing.

Yes some people have expressed interested in recent years but of they really cared for GTFC as a football club then they would compromise and work with others to make it better, that's how clubs progress.

Whatever you think of JF a really tough decade would have been even tougher without his support.      

I could have swore we had a multi millionaire investor come on board not that long ago .. in fact we've had another on board more recently and ehh but not getting into this far to legal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rough Diamonds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.