Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play offs?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 62 Guests

Play offs?

This thread currently has 4,691 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 22, 2017, 8:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
I'm not getting carried away because I've thought we have looked a mid table outfit all season and we are currently just above that, but.................1 point off the top seven after 27 games despite being a bit hit and miss has to be a good position from which to start thinking they are a possibility.

With that in mind, i had a look at how many points are needed to get that 7th spot and went back 5 years. It ranges from 69 to 75 points, which was last years total. So if you take 72 as an average, we need 33 points from 19 games. On the face of it, that is a tall order; something like 11 wins or 10 wins, 3 draws. Form over the last 6 games would see us do that comfortably if we maintained it and in theory, we should be a better side with the new signings, but of course, theory and statistics/probabilities never won anything.

Looked at in a different way, we just need to match and slightly better by a couple of points, the teams directly above us and i don't think that is impossible looking at those teams around us. Some teams will maintain current form, some will better it and some will fall away. I think from what i have seen, that we have as good a chance as anybody around us. We have gone from the hardest league to get out of, to the easiest, not that i'm saying it's easy at all.

Anyway, Sunday morning musings. What do others think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
January 22, 2017, 8:07am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,292
Gold Stars: 133
I think we will finishes closer to 1st than last. Back of my mind I'm keeping an eye on how close we are to the play offs. I've already told the Mrs I might take her to London for a weekend if we go to Wembley  
IF we don't get in the play offs and finish mid table I'll be satisfied, but yes the play offs are possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
PPMariner
January 22, 2017, 8:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Hendo - whose presence may almost certainly play a pivotal role in how the season shapes up, here on in - was particularly bullish in his interview; suggesting we should not even just be aiming for the playoffs!

I frickin' love that attitude  

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
somersetmariner
January 22, 2017, 8:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Next six games

Stevenage (A) - in free fall won one is six - 3 points

Luton (H) doing ok - 1 point

Crewe  (A) - easy money 3 points
Newport (A) - easy money 3 points
Mansfield (H) - tough game game 0 points - though it would be nice to turn a corner with a fine home win
Colchester (H) - Tough game again 0 points

Interesting to see that run of games, if we do well agaisnt Crewe and Newport and then get good results against Mansfield and/Colchester at home then yep we are gonna make a great charge for the play offs. Confidence will be up, fans will be singing their hearts out !!

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Trawler
January 22, 2017, 8:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
I think we will be established back in the playoffs by the end of Feb. Before the end of Feb we're playing 7 teams- 5 of which are below us, and 4 of those are away games where our form is vastly better. I reckon we have the beating of all 5 beneath us leaving two tricky home fixtures to play off contenders Luton and Col U.  Stevenage are in a dreadful run of form and Newport are rock bottom so hopefully these are bankers.

Stevenage 15th a
Luton 6th h
Crewe 19th a
Newport 24th a
Mansfield 12th h
Morecambe 17th a
Colchester 7th h

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Trawler
January 22, 2017, 8:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Somerset we were writing practically the same post simultaneously. We're on the same page.

Quoted from somersetmariner
Next six games

Stevenage (A) - in free fall won one is six - 3 points

Luton (H) doing ok - 1 point

Crewe  (A) - easy money 3 points
Newport (A) - easy money 3 points
Mansfield (H) - tough game game 0 points - though it would be nice to turn a corner with a fine home win
Colchester (H) - Tough game again 0 points

Interesting to see that run of games, if we do well agaisnt Crewe and Newport and then get good results against Mansfield and/Colchester at home then yep we are gonna make a great charge for the play offs. Confidence will be up, fans will be singing their hearts out !!

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Cloudy
January 22, 2017, 8:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Still think it is most likely we will be up and down for the rest of the season.

Still very much work in progress and a long way from the finished article. We were outplayed by Exeter last week and for 45 mins yesterday laboured against the worst side I have seen this season. On our day we are capable of a Plymouth type performance but equally capable of a Crawley or Exeter showing.

The additions will help, but doubt they will gel immediately and as we continue to look for our best line up inconsistency is more likely than a great run

Can we make the play offs? Yes, of course. Will we make the play offs? I think we will lack the consistency to do so.

Hope Ginny optimism is well founded and we can find a stunning run
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
AussieMariner
January 22, 2017, 8:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Just booked my flights
Arrive Heathrow early Friday 28th April, shake off jet lag then Barnet away
Visit Grimsby for the Plymouth game then sticking around for the rest of May and the play offs wherever they take us
Looking forward to Wembley but if Hendo is right will just enjoy the celebrations
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Trawler
January 22, 2017, 8:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner
Just booked my flights
Arrive Heathrow early Friday 28th April, shake off jet lag then Barnet away
Visit Grimsby for the Plymouth game then sticking around for the rest of May and the play offs wherever they take us
Looking forward to Wembley but if Hendo is right will just enjoy the celebrations

Good work. Absolutely love this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
somersetmariner
January 22, 2017, 8:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Trawler
Somerset we were writing practically the same post simultaneously. We're on the same page.

I Think so Trawler - for me the season rests with Colchester and Mansfiled at home - win one or both of them we will have momentum - btw shall we try and pick next weeks lotttery numbers??

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play offs?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.