Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 406 Guests

Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

This thread currently has 5,625 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
January 16, 2017, 4:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from ginnywings
There was the season West Ham won the league and battered us at BP. Up until that game we were very hard to beat at home and very rarely conceded a goal, never mind lost.

That was the season we could have made it into Div1 (the prem) we needed a couple of players due to injuries for the final push because we were on top spot for quite a while that season and were looking great. Trouble was the board never bothered dud not want to go up imho, got nose bleeds.(nothing new)

West Ham walloped us a guy called Cross got a hat trick 5-1 I think here near the end of season and the rest is history.

Nearest I have seen us get to the top.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2017, 8:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,638
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

That was the season we could have made it into Div1 (the prem) we needed a couple of players due to injuries for the final push because we were on top spot for quite a while that season and were looking great. Trouble was the board never bothered dud not want to go up imho, got nose bleeds.(nothing new)

West Ham walloped us a guy called Cross got a hat trick 5-1 I think here near the end of season and the rest is history.

I think we where in the mix but don't remember us being top that often, interesting view on the board situation.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
Garth
January 16, 2017, 8:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

He was either bought from Norwich or the other way round and was a very good striker in those days, sadly the Hammers at that time for us that is were on another planet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
dapperz fun pub
January 16, 2017, 8:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
One of the finest displays of pass and move football I've seen live , West Ham were different class
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
barralad
January 16, 2017, 9:51am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we where in the mix but don't remember us being top that often, interesting view on the board situation.

I don't think we were ever top. It took us a while to find our feet but after Christmas we had a good run and some very good away wins (remember going to Luton and Wrexham both 2-0 wins). We were definitely in with a shout though. I cannot remember when 3up 3down came in so there may have been only two places up for grabs. As previously mentioned we fell away after  West Ham but got a top half finish.
Our best season was 83/84 where fifth now would've seen us in the play offs

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.