Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 229 Guests

Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

This thread currently has 5,645 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 15, 2017, 10:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
1971/ 72  Played 23   won  18    drawn  3   lost  2   scored 60

ATT   11,000+

I think that was the best since I have been watching  (  62 years )  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2017, 10:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete

ATT   11,000+

I think that was the best since I have been watching  (  62 years )  

So it's all been downhill for me. My first season.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Badger57
January 15, 2017, 11:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete

And those 2 defeats were in successive home games. I remember walking home after the second, weeping and smacking my knotted (home knitted) scarf against every available wall and fence on the way home thinking we'd blown our championship chances chances. So, ever the drama Queen then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 11:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from promotion plaice

"Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ? "

1978/79    HT  Town 6 - 0 Darlington    
The best first half performance I have ever seen at BP

BP was a fortress back then, Town gaining promotion from the old Fourth Division as runners-up.

Third Division champions the next season, no team fancied coming here back then.

If I remember right that Tuesday night Mike Lester (good skilful player) got 4 and missed a penalty, one John Stone scored and absolute cracker for the visitors in the 2nd half. That is when night games where night games, I think in another night game a week or two earlier we destroyed Bradford 5 - 0, with Paul Reeney in their side. In those days we almost had to run home afterwards so dad could get the 10pm bus to do a night shift at Dunlop.

Who can forget the season after when after absolutely slaughtering Notts Counts we packed 20,000 + (could have even been 24K) into BP to see us beat Everton. In the morning paper the next day the headline was "Brolly reigns for Grimsby" . That season we despatched loads of sides in the league with the cream on top being the 4 - 0 defeat of Sheff U on the last day, fortress then Definitely!    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Badger57
January 15, 2017, 11:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
....Bloody long walk too! Lived near Weelsby Road subway (now part of Peaks Parkway.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Chips44
January 15, 2017, 11:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
Just reminded by the Clarrie Williams thread.  Round about when I started supporting Town.Season 1955/56
   Played 23. Won 20.Drawn1.Lost2.  I think that home record equates to being a fortress!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 11:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
I remember watching a Sky programme in the early 90s when Dougie Freidman was interviewed and played for Palace at the time they asked him what the difference was being in the premier league (the Yo yo had just had an up movement)  his reply? "You don't have to play at places like Grimsby" as a Town fan I saw that as a massive compliment.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
promotion plaice
January 15, 2017, 11:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If I remember right that Tuesday night Mike Lester (good skilful player) got 4 and missed a penalty, one John Stone scored and absolute cracker for the visitors in the 2nd half. That is when night games where night games, I think in another night game a week or two earlier we destroyed Bradford 5 - 0, with Paul Reeney in their side. In those days we almost had to run home afterwards so dad could get the 10pm bus to do a night shift at Dunlop.

Who can forget the season after when after absolutely slaughtering Notts Counts we packed 20,000 + (could have even been 24K) into BP to see us beat Everton. In the morning paper the next day the headline was "Brolly reigns for Grimsby" . That season we despatched loads of sides in the league with the cream on top being the 4 - 0 defeat of Sheff U on the last day, fortress then Definitely!    

I was in the Barrett's stand that night, the atmosphere was electric.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 11:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So it's all been downhill for me. My first season.  

And mine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
GYinScuntland
January 16, 2017, 12:52am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from mariner tommy
Can anyone else remember the long unbeaten run we had that started 1975. We went 30 odd games without defeat in the league at home and I remember we played Gateshead in the FA Cup in November 1975 (they were non league of course) and they beat us 1-3.
We then went all the way into March 1976 unbeaten at home in the league until we played Walsall on a Tuesday night and they beat us 1-2. And who scored for Walsall that day ?, none other than Alan Buckley. We then lost again to Crystal Palace in the next home game.
We went from October 1974 to March 1976 without losing in the league at home.

UTM

Jeez I remember that.
Supporting Town in the 70's in Scunthorpe you had to stand your ground and it was vicious and no mistake.
I remember gobbing off about how good Town were at the time and that result make me look a girl private.
I had to check the dates though as I thought it was my first year at work, but can now remember it was on one of the sports fields at Thomas Sumpter comp that I got my nose broke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.