Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 162 Guests

Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

This thread currently has 5,623 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Ronnie
January 15, 2017, 10:22am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
2011/12 season we had a very long unbeaten streak at home

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
lee65
January 15, 2017, 11:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Late 70's to early 80's we always expected to win at home, and usually did.
One notable difference to me is that back then if we went a goal down you always felt we would score 2, and that's not the same now.

I do agree with one of the above comments too, that teams are better set up to play away these days, more video footage to study and stats. etc perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
January 15, 2017, 11:29am
Guest User
Must be related to the gypsy curse, need an exorcism or blessing by the holy and righteous fishy cu.....t
Reply: 12 - 44
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
I don't think its every really been a "fortress" but it is clearly not a nice place for away teams to visit clearly we have been strong at home but never unbeatable. Under George Kerr, John Newman and Buckley we did not lose many but you wouldn't as they where successful sides.  

I think that in the recent non league years and to an extent this season the home form has been a mix of sides coming and playing1up front and our players not being of the standard to open them up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Grimbiggs
January 15, 2017, 1:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I've been following Town for 40 years now, and football has changed dramatically during that time. Standing for me during the 80's created a better atmosphere, this together with more local talent and a connection to the players. The community spirit and connection with the players has all but gone. The game has changed, being promoted as family entertainment. Not that thats a bad thing, but for the casual supporter it's no different then going down to the local cinema, which creates a lack of atmosphere. This together with mass tv coverage has created a saturation point, were football is seen as just another form of entertainment, of which people are now spoilt for chioce.Tatics and variation in formations, with the masses of information available, means teams are better set up.

This club has never been very innovative in the PR department, so if we are to create a fortress and that intimidating fear factor for opposing teams, then the stadium has to match, as theres nothing worse than seeing a 16000 seater with 5,000 people spread around it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
willows fc
January 15, 2017, 4:22pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +12
One of the problems at home is the stewarding. If you show bit of passion/aggression there straight on you telling you to calm down or your out. Blundell park should be a loud intimidating place for away teams to come play can't even have a bit of banter without them trying to chuck you out...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2017, 5:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Simple answer is yes. As Mrs D and others have said, 70s and early 80s. You could hear the crowd at Top Shops.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 5:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,509
Gold Stars: 64
Think in 71/72 we only lost 2 home games out of the 23 with both reversals coming within the space of 4 days against that bogey team Southport and the Stan Bowles inspired Crewe.

Certainly remember nearly last home game being 2-0 down to Peterborough and winning 3-2. But in those days we had lots of goalscorers with Brace, Lewis, Tees and Hickman plus Chatterley and Gauden adding a few, loved that season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
ginnywings
January 15, 2017, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
There was the season West Ham won the league and battered us at BP. Up until that game we were very hard to beat at home and very rarely conceded a goal, never mind lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
chaos33
January 15, 2017, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Was that 79/80 Ginny? Went to that game and was gobsmacked. Lost 5-1.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Has Blundell Park ever been a fortress ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.