3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2017, 12:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Just got home after an evening wedding do after the  match this afternoon.

The match itself was bad enough, but I have a couple of gripes about the minutes applause / silence in recent home games.

Firstly, the memory of one of our greatest ever players, Paul Futcher,  had to be spoiled because we also had to remember the fatalities of a South American team that none of us had ever heard of due to a tragic plane crash that week. Yes it is was terrible, but why did we have to give that equal prominence to one of our greats? I have great empathy and consideration for anybody killed in any situation but I think Futchers remembrance was unjustly diluted on the day.

To cap if off, the notice of a minutes applause for Graham Taylor was read out with the passion of a dead fish and didn't even mention Grimsby Town at all. No mention of him being our player, no mention of the fact we were instrumental in his life and work, and the notice was read out the same as at say Wycombe  v Yeovil and at every other ground in the country. Graham Taylor was one of my first heroes and Futcher one of the all time greats and it annoys me more consideration wasn't given to two giants of the game.

As for the today's game...it has put me in a bad mood but i stand by my comments above.          
Private Message
promotion plaice
January 15, 2017, 12:14am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Must admit the no mention of him playing for Town surprised me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
lee65
January 15, 2017, 12:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,482
Gold Stars: 10
I'm not a big fan of the minutes applause, I think a minutes silence is more appropriate in virtually all cases, particularly with someone like Graham Taylor who had a direct link with the Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
LH
January 15, 2017, 12:19am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Because it was a statement sent to all clubs by either the FL or the FA. Town could have used initiave but didn't. Chapecoense thing was tragic and just happened to occur the same week a Town legend died, unfortunate but that's the way it is.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 12:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
Just got home after an evening wedding do after the  match this afternoon.

The match itself was bad enough, but I have a couple of gripes about the minutes applause / silence in recent home games.

Firstly, the memory of one of our greatest ever players, Paul Futcher,  had to be spoiled because we also had to remember the fatalities of a South American team that none of us had ever heard of due to a tragic plane crash that week. Yes it is was terrible, but why did we have to give that equal prominence to one of our greats? I have great empathy and consideration for anybody killed in any situation but I think Futchers remembrance was unjustly diluted on the day.

To cap if off, the notice of a minutes applause for Graham Taylor was read out with the passion of a dead fish and didn't even mention Grimsby Town at all. No mention of him being our player, no mention of the fact we were instrumental in his life and work, and the notice was read out the same as at say Wycombe  v Yeovil and at every other ground in the country. Graham Taylor was one of my first heroes and Futcher one of the all time greats and it annoys me more consideration wasn't given to two giants of the game.

As for the today's game...it has put me in a bad mood but i stand by my comments above.          

We did have a minutes silence for "absent friends" recently?????

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Grantley
January 15, 2017, 1:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
"Why must we have a minutes silence for victims of a plane crash carrying a football team, its not like we knew them or anything".

What should we have done, not mentioned the Chapecoense plane crash, which probably most football teams around the world did, because an ex-footballer died?

It was deeply saddening about Paul Futcher's death but don't try and rubbish the lives of 71 people about it.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
pizzzza
January 15, 2017, 8:07am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137

we also had to remember the fatalities of a South American team that none of us had ever heard of due to a tragic plane crash that week.      

Speak for yourself! As a follower of South American football I was more than aware of who the players were before the disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Mrs Doyle
January 15, 2017, 8:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We did have a minutes silence for "absent friends" recently?????

Yeah not sure what that was all about to be honest ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
jimgtfc
January 15, 2017, 9:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,084
Gold Stars: 44
There was a minutes applause on the 4th minute for Futch, which I thought was utterly superb, it really choked me up. In general I much prefer a minutes silence to applause, I think it's much more personal and meaningful, I think the applause came in because of idiots ruining the silence.

I was a little surprised at the speech about Graham Taylor and maybe the club were told what to say, but thought the PA bloke could have personalised it slightly.

Just while I'm talking about the PA bloke, there's one tiny little detail that really bugs me every home game and I know it's really pedantic but I wish when he reads the team out before the game he'd say the players name just as they appear on the big screen. We've spent a lot of money on it so use it properly, it would look so much more professional.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
robborhino
January 15, 2017, 9:45am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
I think it is a little bit pedantic, got to remember there is a lot of things to say before the match kicks off like the away team, sponsors etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Futcher and Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.