3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
January 15, 2017, 8:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Problem with Gunny being a natural partner for Collins is that they are both left footed, which might make us unbalanced defensively, having said that we had Toto and Gowling and previously Toto and Pearson at the back as both right footers a bit back.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
chaos33
January 15, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Gunny?

Your mate is he?  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
AussieMariner
January 16, 2017, 2:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
At risk of repeating myself (I made the same comment on the 'Our Midfield' thread) Gunning claimed in his interview to be able to play centre midfield.
Just a thought, but he might add some much needed quality where we need it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Mrs Doyle
January 16, 2017, 4:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
New manager,new ideas, new faces happens everywhere. He as had time to asses the players and the situation and to improve needs to try something different.

Josh is a good player but his lack of pace and ill timed challenges have cost us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
gtfc98
January 16, 2017, 10:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Says a lot when Gunning was our most creative player on Saturday from CB. He looks very good on the ball, could maybe benefit from losing a bit of timber though! Thought he looked a bit on the heavy side.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
ginnywings
January 16, 2017, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from AussieMariner
At risk of repeating myself (I made the same comment on the 'Our Midfield' thread) Gunning claimed in his interview to be able to play centre midfield.
Just a thought, but he might add some much needed quality where we need it?

I thought he said holding midfielder and that's not going to help us much in the creative department, unless he is another Nathan Pond type, which would be ace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
AussieMariner
January 16, 2017, 10:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Pretty sure he said centre midfield but in any case, if he is comfortable on the ball and from what I've read can distribute it competently surely this is what we've been missing???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
ginnywings
January 16, 2017, 10:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from AussieMariner
Pretty sure he said centre midfield but in any case, if he is comfortable on the ball and from what I've read can distribute it competently surely this is what we've been missing???

I think he's a defender first and foremost and will bring the ball out from the back. I can't see him being used regularly as a midfielder but he will help with the system if we want to play out from the back. There will be one or two new recruitments for centre mid before the window shuts, i'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
AussieMariner
January 16, 2017, 11:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think he's a defender first and foremost and will bring the ball out from the back. I can't see him being used regularly as a midfielder but he will help with the system if we want to play out from the back. There will be one or two new recruitments for centre mid before the window shuts, i'm sure.

Certainly hope so - I'm just suggesting a plan B
Oh sorry, forgot, we don't have those do we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Maringer
January 16, 2017, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Gunning played a couple of good passes but looked a yard off the pace at times. Might get away with that in defence but not so much in midfield.

In any case, the world is full of defenders who think they could play in midfield, but most of them aren't up to the job! Pond was unusual in that he wanted to play in defence but was often given a midfield role!

Assuming we do bring in a midfielder during the transfer window, I certainly hope he has a bit of pace as this is what we're still badly lacking in the middle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gowling, Jackson, Summerfield & Berrett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.