5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
January 15, 2017, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I don't think it was particularly the tactics employed by the managers but the quality of player on view using brain power as well as skill. I didn't see anybody trying to take charge on the pitch to try to improve moral . Majority of players not good enough and if they were race horses they would be selling platers no matter who their trainer or jockey was
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
oldun
January 15, 2017, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Is it only entertaining when Town play well and win? Seems to me many fans only watch half the game, remember there are another eleven players out there and entertainment can come from them too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
barralad
January 15, 2017, 10:59am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from oldun
Is it only entertaining when Town play well and win? Seems to me many fans only watch half the game, remember there are another eleven players out there and entertainment can come from them too.

I wish I could be that non-partisan! I guess because I support GTFC then the chance of being entertained is usually lost when they don't play well. I get frustrated at the lack of anything of an entertaining nature coming from Town and that clouds my judgement about how entertaining the opposition may be. Having said that their third goal was a cracker and got as warm a round of applause from around where I sit as anything seen this season by our opposition.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
oldun
January 15, 2017, 11:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I wish I could be that non-partisan! I guess because I support GTFC then the chance of being entertained is usually lost when they don't play well. I get frustrated at the lack of anything of an entertaining nature coming from Town and that clouds my judgement about how entertaining the opposition may be. Having said that their third goal was a cracker and got as warm a round of applause from around where I sit as anything seen this season by our opposition.

"Listen" when you have seen as many Town games as I have you take a more pragmatic philosophical view I of things, Of course I always want Town to win and in style if poss, but I have learned that if that does not happen today it will in a future game. "Listen", I will be there next Sat and who knows that might just be the one and yesterday will be forgotten. Onwards and upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
oldun
January 15, 2017, 11:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

"Listen" when you have seen as many Town games as I have you take a more pragmatic philosophical view I of things, Of course I always want Town to win and in style if poss, but I have learned that if that does not happen today it will in a future game. "Listen", I will be there next Sat and who knows that might just be the one and yesterday will be forgotten. Onwards and upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
I like many Town fans get a bit romantic about entertaining football at BP, why would we not at various times in the late 70s, 80s and the 90's and I'm sure before then we where truly "spoilt".

However since the 2004? we have been at the lowest level in league football and in recent years non league, both the "4th division" of the FL and non league are not renowned for many sides who play Champaign football.  

In an era of 5 in mid field, 1 up front, diamonds, the press, super athletes and false 9s etc... its even harder as teams visit and often host to not get beat. Remember 4th division footballers are 4th division footballers for a reason ad might always have problems breaking down sides that stop them playing.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2017, 9:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Balaby
Enough is enough!! I can't help myself any longer! Week after week I go watch town, waiting to be entertained. One game this season I have had this fulfilled (Stevenage). Other than that it's been absolutely appalling. Week in week out of non entertainment. The manager can talk the good game but for sure we can not deliver!! There's only so much people can take until the crowds will dwindle. Today's performance was up there with one of the worst, not one proper chance and certainly no prolonged pressure of any kind. The formation and tactics just don't work, especially at home where we supposed to be the team that force the game to the opposition. I like any town fan want the team and manager to do well but I also pay good money to be entertained!!! That I am definitely not being!!! And at the end of the day that is what we supposed to be!!!

It's taken you long enough. Or have you missed the last 10 years?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
GrimRob
January 15, 2017, 10:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Let's face it most people leave happy if they win and less happy if they don't, especially in league games where the opposition are of roughly the same quality (at least on paper). Football's a very frustrating game to watch because nearly every move breaks down and goals are so infrequent. Even televised games between so-called elite sides are frequently dull and boring. If you really want to be constantly "entertained" regardless of the result there are sports much more amenable. The highs in football are much higher than in any other sport, that's why I like it best, but it's certainly never been a sport of non-stop guaranteed high entertainment.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 41
Cloudy
January 16, 2017, 6:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I thought they where excellent all day and the experience of their manager in the way they came and played stood out. A lot of clubs should learn from them as many would have been sacking Tisdale after their start but everybody pulled together set their sights forward and held their nerve...............is there a lesson there I wonder?

On top of the team the fans where also top class and considering came in numbers considering the journey.

They didn't hold their nerve though.
Exeter have given Tisdale notice as they couldn't afford his settlement costs. Since they did so they have gone on their great run of form.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2017, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Cloudy

They didn't hold their nerve though.
Exeter have given Tisdale notice as they couldn't afford his settlement costs. Since they did so they have gone on their great run of form.

Really, where did that come from? Very unusual. Interesting to see the lift in results on the back of it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lack of entertainment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.