Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Jones, Asante and Osborne
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 199 Guests

Sam Jones, Asante and Osborne

This thread currently has 41,618 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
January 8, 2017, 12:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from chaos33
I [/b]understand the offer we made for Jones was 'derisory'[b]. Even if the player wants to come, we can't expect clubs to give up their contracted assets for peanuts.

Yeah right, lets just throw any amount of money to get them, its called testing the water.  Like Barnet  did with us for Bogle, and West Ham did with Defoe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 184
chaos33
January 8, 2017, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Don't get cross with me mate. I've got f@ck all to do with it!
Derisory wasn't even my word.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 184
Mrs Doyle
January 8, 2017, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I know Hurst always seem to pull a rabbit out the hat last minute but It is nice to feel a bit more secure this early in the transfer market.
Would really love to see Henderson stay with a possible Asante and Osborne joining the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 184
oldun
January 8, 2017, 1:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Of course we have to trust MB's judgement on player recruitment, but have any of you seen these players play? Lots of people getting excited about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 184
ginnywings
January 8, 2017, 1:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oldun
Of course we have to trust MB's judgement on player recruitment, but have any of you seen these players play? Lots of people getting excited about them.

I'd never seen Bogle play, or Yussef or Hearn or any of a number of players we have signed over the years. When players are being talked about and chased by others, you are usually onto a good thing. There are hundreds of Summerfields and Berretts and Vernons out there and there is a reason nobody is raving about them or particularly excited about them signing. Solid pro's who will do a job are in abundance. Players who get fans on their feet and make things happen are not in such plentiful numbers, which is why they take some prising away from their clubs and the fans of those clubs getting upset about it tells me they are worth pursuing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 184
TheGoalKipper
January 8, 2017, 2:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from oldun

Im sure they are good players at the level they are playing at. As someone who has never played the game I wouldn't trust myself to state any of them are capable of stepping up to L2 level. I guess we are all hoping those who have 'scouted' them do know. Its not an exact science and even the best coaches have got it wrong. Until they are playing for us its 'rose tinted glasses time'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 184
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2017, 2:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd never seen Bogle play, or Yussef or Hearn or any of a number of players we have signed over the years. When players are being talked about and chased by others, you are usually onto a good thing. There are hundreds of Summerfields and Berretts and Vernons out there and there is a reason nobody is raving about them or particularly excited about them signing. Solid pro's who will do a job are in abundance. Players who get fans on their feet and make things happen are not in such plentiful numbers, which is why they take some prising away from their clubs and the fans of those clubs getting upset about it tells me they are worth pursuing.

Social media allows people to get excited about players where in the past it was word of mouth in the main. Appointing Gary Wilde was a really smart move in my view as it gets the club to look at players based upon the opinions of both Gary & Marcus rather than just the view of an individual which can often end up going either way.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 184
Mrs Doyle
January 8, 2017, 7:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
That is what makes it so exciting seeing a rough diamond learning his trade. The likes of Bogle catch the eye at any level but it is great to see him evolve into a much talented and much sought after striker.

Shrewd investment is what it's all about a mixture of experience and talented youth get this right and your laughing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 184
RoboCod
January 8, 2017, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Social media allows people to get excited about players where in the past it was word of mouth in the main. Appointing Gary Wilde was a really smart move in my view as it gets the club to look at players based upon the opinions of both Gary & Marcus rather than just the view of an individual which can often end up going either way.

A very good point, for all the signings Marcus has made, attempts to make or goes on to complete, possibly the most astute could be Wilde. Seems to be quite some time since we had such a management system in place. January could now be a time to regroup and rethink the seasons strategy, strenghten areas  and become stronger, not something that's happened much in recent years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 184
Bigdog
January 8, 2017, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
I know Hurst always seem to pull a rabbit out the hat last minute but It is nice to feel a bit more secure this early in the transfer market.
Would really love to see Henderson stay with a possible Asante and Osborne joining the squad.

I'm not sure that is true. His last minute signings in the transfer windows always seemed poor panic buys because there were gaps remaining in our squad and he felt that he had to fill them, like last minute Xmas stocking fillers. Either that or he was an inconsistent judge of a player.

Anyway, don't have to worry about that now. Enjoying us being more proactive this January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 184
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Jones, Asante and Osborne

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.