This thread currently has 8,261 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
January 6, 2017, 11:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Time will eventually tell if Gradi was aware of some, if not all of, the things that were going on at Gresty Road. I sincerely hope he wasn't implicated by not doing anything if he was aware, but leaving that to one side his record or nurturing young talent has been second to none for the last 25 plus years. Beardsley, Platt, Dean Ashton, Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Geoff Thomas, Craig Hignett to name but just a few.

Going even further back, I well remember the 1971-2 season when we only lost twice at home, one of those was to Crewe for whom Stanley Bowles produced one of the most gobsmacking displays of pure talent and trickery I've ever seen at any level.

Leave the sensationalism behind, and if we can ever start to nurture talent like that we'll be in very good hands.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
golfer
January 9, 2017, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 114
I agree with the above but think Ernie Tagg was a bigger legend as far as Crewe were concerned.Met Bowles a few times and he always had a dig at Ernie about him being a pub owner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
tanga_the_indestructible
January 9, 2017, 11:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jock dock tower
Time will eventually tell if Gradi was aware of some, if not all of, the things that were going on at Gresty Road. I sincerely hope he wasn't implicated by not doing anything if he was aware, but leaving that to one side his record or nurturing young talent has been second to none for the last 25 plus years. Beardsley, Platt, Dean Ashton, Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage, Geoff Thomas, Craig Hignett to name but just a few.

Going even further back, I well remember the 1971-2 season when we only lost twice at home, one of those was to Crewe for whom Stanley Bowles produced one of the most gobsmacking displays of pure talent and trickery I've ever seen at any level.

Leave the sensationalism behind, and if we can ever start to nurture talent like that we'll be in very good hands.

Remember that game well. We lost 2-3, think it was a Tuesday night. Ernie Tagg, his manager once said of Stan Bowles, "If he could pass a betting shop like he can pass a ball...."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Trawler
January 12, 2017, 9:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
BBC Humberside Sport reporting that Birmingham City have turned down an approach from GTFC to allow their midfielder Luke Maxwell to join them on loan.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Hagrid
January 12, 2017, 9:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,343
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from Fat Cobra

If we emulate what Gradi did at Crewe some years back I for one will never support this club again. How can you promote this mans way of developing young boys? Disgusting.

🐍

do you ever think about what you post?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Chrisblor
January 12, 2017, 9:49am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Seems a bizarre move from their perspective. He's not come close to their first team at all this season - why not let him come here and get some actual experience. Surely that would be far more useful to his development than sitting in their under-23 squad playing behind closed doors?

Although this isn't the first time Birmingham have seemingly been awkward with loan players. I remember when we had Alex Jones in 2015 and they wouldn't let us extend that deal beyond a month, forcing him to go back and sit in their reserves for the rest of the season.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Superdan147
January 12, 2017, 10:13am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Seems strange stopping a young player getting some decent league football experience really. At least our board no what answer to give If they come asking about Omar or when they come knocking for Marcus this time next year when we are flying high in league 1 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Hagrid
January 12, 2017, 10:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,343
Gold Stars: 527
agreed it does seem odd, you'd think they'd want a young player to come get some first team experiance, but we move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
horsforthmariner
January 12, 2017, 10:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,583
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Hagrid

do you ever think about what you post?

Shall we all just from now on just ignore him. He clearly craves attention so lets not give him any.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Chris Packit
January 12, 2017, 11:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -143
But not all our loan players do get first-team experience, do they? Alex Jones has since proved that he was far too good to be running around playing second fiddle to Podge. Perhaps he had a say in the matter?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke maxwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.