This thread currently has 1,606 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
oldun
January 3, 2017, 8:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It has often been said that Town fans don't understand anything other than 442 and if we don't line up that way you can hear moans about "one up top", "no wingers?"  "lop sided! " It will never work. Well folks as an old school 442 fan and someone who can remember wing halves and inside forwards I have to accept that things change and the game evolves. The key question do the players have the skill and fitness to implement the system. I was not at the game yesterday but listened to the wireless. True to form the line up caused some confusion and concern but the result, as always, won people over. Brave move from the boss? Maybe not and we need to get used to changes. This does not mean ditching 442 or that one size fits all because it never does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
January 3, 2017, 9:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
It is a very useful skill to have being able to play more than one system, if you have one system and one way of playing you will be sussed out, nullified and beaten, if you have 3, like we seem to have, you can keep teams guessing and confuse teams, we seem to be able to play 4-4-2 like we did on Boxing Day, 3-5-2, like we did yesterday and even 4-3-3 like we did against Blackpool.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 9:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I think people get too hung up on formations. If we had lost yesterday, there would have been an outcry and accusations of MB not knowing what he is doing. Ultimately, it's about the players doing the right things at the right time and taking opportunities when they come along. Lot's of people keep saying Vose shouldn't be "on the wing", yet successive managers play him out wide. I think they have a better idea and understanding of tactics than we do, but it doesn't stop the clamour for change.

All fans have their favourites and usually propose a system that accommodates who they would like to see in the side. Managers look at the opposition strengths and weaknesses to decide what they are going to do, which is something most fans are not privy to.

Tactics are right when you win and wrong when you lose, but that's all with the benefit of hindsight. The better managers get it right more often than they get it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 9:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
I think people get too hung up on formations. If we had lost yesterday, there would have been an outcry and accusations of MB not knowing what he is doing. Ultimately, it's about the players doing the right things at the right time and taking opportunities when they come along. Lot's of people keep saying Vose shouldn't be "on the wing", yet successive managers play him out wide. I think they have a better idea and understanding of tactics than we do, but it doesn't stop the clamour for change.

All fans have their favourites and usually propose a system that accommodates who they would like to see in the side. Managers look at the opposition strengths and weaknesses to decide what they are going to do, which is something most fans are not privy to.

Tactics are right when you win and wrong when you lose, but that's all with the benefit of hindsight. The better managers get it right more often than they get it wrong.

I suspect yesterday was about packing the mid field as when we played them at BP it looked like they always had one man spare. I think that Marcus is one who plays "horses for courses".

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
oldun
January 3, 2017, 9:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Maybe it was a nothing to lose opportunity to try it out yesterday. It happened to pay off big style. Well done to all concerned. You are right if we had lost MB would have been slated on here. We need to be a bit more open minded remember "we are in transition"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 9:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I think the plan was to frustrate them and then bring on some attacking threat later in the game, which is what happened. The formation also allowed the full backs to be the wingers as the ones we have are not doing the business. Jackson, Bolarinwa, Berrett et al have all been tried out wide and are not stretching teams enough or getting around the back of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
Pastandpresent
January 3, 2017, 9:27am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -226
If yusef has anything about him footballing wise him vose and bogle should be a good combination, bogle power presence and pace , yusef pace and trickery and vose technical ability and passing range .We will scare teams the defence seems to be knitting quite well, midfield conundrum still not sure ,chambers or bolinwa on the right we might have something!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 442

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.