Reply: 20 - 28
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 3:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Playing Devil's Advocate, Summerfield has 2 goals and 1 assist. Is that a bit more persuasive to Bigdog's point about midfielders looking good but not hurting the opposition?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Tommy
January 3, 2017, 3:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
That's a good post bigdog.

I'd still be inclined to keep him as a squad player as he's had some good games and in my view gets an unfair amount of stick.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2017, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog

Thought it was common sense that if we could get two better replacements for two players that we've already got it would improve us.

I'll try and explain myself more fully about Summerfield than a cheap York City soundbite.

In my playing days, for about three seasons my team came up against a team based in the midlands. They had this player in central midfield that dominated their possession. More touches than any other in their team. On the face of it, initially he looked a half decent player. Plenty of give-and-gos, spreading the ball left and right. First impression the first twenty minutes I saw him was, he's not a bad little player but the penny dropped, for all his efforts he wasn't killing us. Very attractive to watch but playing at centre half I felt we were never under pressure. Message sent round the team to just let him have the ball in front of us. We beat this team for four or five matches. Every time their manager was in the bar afterwards enthusing how good this player was. One year he was injured, his replacement was not as good on the ball but was stronger and more direct. he actually asked more questions than the other guy, they played a different way, were more solid without the ball and suddenly other players in their team seemed a lot better than they were before. We got beat, and over my playing career came up against a few players like this. Summerfield just reminds me of that type of player.

To have a midfield player who has the most touches in a team, which Summerfield does, I think he has to be one of our best players. I don't think Summerfield is consistently enough. That player has to do it pretty much every week.

I only said if we had the chance to improve on Berrett especially and Summerfield then I think MB should take it. Same goes for any position in the team, but feel central midfield is one of the areas we need to improve more urgently than most.

Don't disagree Bigdog - but your description sounds exactly like pre-season Berrett. I confess I was taken in by what appeared to be excellent technique but it was against teams that were giving us time to play (Hull friendly in particular). This also applies to the Bolton game where again, they had plenty of ammunition to hurt us with but didn't play the higher tempo pressing game of Carlisle & Pompey.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2017, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Missed the last three because of an impact injury according to Matt Dean on Twitter.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
hheh2
January 3, 2017, 9:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Central midfield is one of the hardest positions to play you never have a 100% success rate.

Being honest Summerfield's recent performances haven't been any different from Disley's or Comley's

and from what I've seen James Berrett is a quality player

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Mariner_09
January 3, 2017, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Were you at Plymouth or Bolton, hheh2? He was excellent on both occasions.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
hheh2
January 3, 2017, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Mariner_09
Were you at Plymouth or Bolton, hheh2? He was excellent on both occasions.

I wasn't but against Derby he looked very good

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Davec
January 3, 2017, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I've actually seen Berrett in every game he's played, every game he's played in I've been there, and in every game I still don't think he was all that good, Plymouth I thought he was alright but nothing special, same at Bolton, Even Cambridge when he scored I still thought he had a poor game, I really don't see what he offers, and I'm afraid I agree with what opposition fans think of him "mr invisible"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › berrett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.