Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oppositions View (Keith Curle)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 150 Guests

Oppositions View (Keith Curle)

This thread currently has 4,258 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Meza
January 2, 2017, 8:51pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
Keith Curle with reaction to the Grimsby home game
Manager Keith Curle gave us his reaction to the Grimsby defeat on Monday afternoon.

“I’m gutted that we lost today,” he said. “The difference was that we didn’t deal with their centre forwards. I was more than happy to go in at one-nil up at half time, because it slightly flattered us, and I wouldn’t have been disappointed had we got there at nil-nil.

“Their shape gave us a few problems but going in front gave us a good foothold in the game. They had some good possession but they weren’t hurting us. We needed to show a bit more in the way of personality to create a bit of dominance after the break but we didn’t do that and we let them score a very soft goal.

“Let’s face it, once you let a centre forward of his quality get the edge on you he’s going to cause all kinds of problems. He scored their first at what was a very bad time for us and it let them get their heads up.”

“I really don’t think we defended well as a unit at all,” he continued. “It was poor defending for all three goals and that left us chasing it a bit. The situation of playing two games in three days can affect players and we have to be honest and say that we looked as if we’d played a game two days ago.

“We made it look like hard work and the disappointing thing from a defensive point of view is that we let their very good striker have the kind of game he wanted. I don’t think we upset him enough and we didn’t try to disrupt his rhythm at all. He’s probably a million pound player in waiting and he’s showing that he can cause teams real problems.

“None of our centre backs were cautioned for a tackle on him – and I’m not saying that’s the only way to defend – but sometimes you’ve got to get them thinking about other things rather than allowing them to enjoy their afternoon at Brunton Park. You need to be able to employ different skill sets to deal with different players and we didn’t quite get to grips with that.”

“We were better in the first half and I think we only allowed them to have one shot,” he said. “We scored the goal and we had a few little scrambles after that and, as ever, if we’d got that second goal it could have been a completely different game.

“Their first goal in the second half showed an area we need to improve. Conceding from a set piece was also very disappointing. The good thing is that the way we defend and mark means we’re able to point the finger. If somebody scores and you’re marking him it means you haven’t done your job.”

On the work to be done this week, he said: “I’ve never said that we’re the finished article but we are a team which learns. We’ve also got some very honest players, with good character, and we have to remember that we’re doing very well despite this result.

“These lads won’t get off the bus. Today wasn’t a day to go into the dressing room and voice my opinions but it goes without saying that this isn’t the way I wanted the year to start. However, I still have belief in what these players can do so the way to approach our disappointment is to analyse what we did and make sure we act on the areas where we know we can get better. If criticism is directed at a player they know it isn’t personal but I will always highlight areas which need to be worked on. They all know that.”

“The pleasing thing is that there were periods in the game where you could see why we are where we are,” he commented. “We just needed to see more of it. Our goal was a snapshot of what we’re about because it was a quality pass and a very good finish.”

“It’s annoying me that we haven’t been able to keep a clean sheet,” he told us. “It’s been a bug-bear of mine that we haven’t been keeping enough of them and that’s something we will address. I think we’ve had 16 games since we kept one so that now requires some reflection and work on our shape.

“Perhaps we need to be more aggressive in our demeanour and in our understanding of what our roles and jobs are. In your own box you do whatever you can to make sure your man doesn’t score, it’s as simple as that.

“I’m a defender at heart and I don’t like conceding goals. I like to see a mentality where every player is working hard to stop balls into the box. At the moment we’re allowing too much of that to happen and it’s costing us.

“I thought this was a day where we missed Danny Grainger and we missed the personality and footballing presence of Mike Jones. What we have to make sure is that we don’t crumble just because of one poor defeat. Some of our decision making may not have been good but the attitude and application is very much still there.

“We might look at it and decide that this is a good time for some players to have a rest and allow those players who are chomping at the bit to force their way in. Players have peaks and troughs in their performances and I fully understand that. We’ll look at that and we’ll continue to select the eleven we feel will get us the result.”

On yet another goal for striker Charlie Wyke, he said: “He will score goals no matter what division he’s playing in. He has the ability to get them at any level and within that he’s playing beside different personnel and in different formations. That can only stand him in good stead.

“He’ll be as disappointed as anyone because we’ve lost a game of football. It’s a different challenge and scenario for us to deal with as a group but I’m sure we will.”

Just over 6,000 United fans came to the game and the manager was quick to praise them for their support.

“I have to say a huge thank you to the fans who turned up,” he said. “Those are the numbers we want because it helps us massively. It was phenomenal support and all I would say to them is that we want them to come back because we will put in performances and get the results their attendance deserves.”

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.u.....#WYz5teyVKpvBgjZs.99

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
January 2, 2017, 9:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

I read that as we fully deserved the win and a special mention of the Omar fear factor.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
supertown
January 2, 2017, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Thanks Keith, you've just put a few thousand more on the transfer fee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
H19P1
January 2, 2017, 9:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Can see him staying until end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2017, 9:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I'm a bit disappointed in his comments to tell the truth.

ONLY a "million pound player in waiting" ???

No we would want more than that for Bogle.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2017, 9:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Well he can't slag us off as his promotion fancies have only taken 1 point out of 6 against us.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
grimsby pete
January 2, 2017, 9:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
He goes on a bit though don't you think ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
lee65
January 2, 2017, 9:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
That's as close as you tend to get to praise from an opposing manager.

Obviously our 3-5-2 pick and mix formation confused him early doors (just like many on here earlier) so well done Marcus and the team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2017, 9:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
I reckon they under estimated us TBH, I think they thought their home form would be enough for us to capitulate.

How wrong can yer be?

I hope Omar stays till the summer as it would be good to see 2 strong players up front for a while.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Mrs Doyle
January 2, 2017, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
“None of our centre backs were cautioned for a tackle on him – and I’m not saying that’s the only way to defend – but sometimes you’ve got to get them thinking about other things rather than allowing them to enjoy their afternoon at Brunton Park. You need to be able to employ different skill sets to deal with different players and we didn’t quite get to grips with that.”

Yeah we remember how you use to play Keith lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oppositions View (Keith Curle)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.