dapperz fun pub
January 2, 2017, 8:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Magsinrio
In fairness to him dapperz in his post match interview after Blackpool he did say he likes to make the changes if its not going to plan (plan A) but he couldn't because by half time he had to make two subs through injury and therefore couldn't risk a third in case another injury came along and we went down to 10 men. It doies appear that he is a lot more willing and prepared to ring the changes earlier than PH would, you could almost set your clock by his subs. Similarly today he made quite a lot of changes  from Blackpool even though many doubted his wisdom once the team was announced today. I think it is sometimes wrong for people to just slate the manager for the changes he makes when in reality he  made the adjustments in respect of how he anticipated our opponents would play based on his research of them. I think people just see it as changes because it didn't work last time or because he doesn't know his best team rather than trysting him to make the decisions based on proper research.

Yeah I agree , I had no problem with the team sheet today or the likely formation he went with and it proved he was right To ring the changes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
lukeo
January 2, 2017, 8:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Don't want to create a new thread but when I listened to MB post match the other day the way he spoke about wanting width, 2 upfront but three in the middle straight away in my head I said 3-5-2? I didn't think much of it as noone else really said about it... For me if you have the right players it can be an effective formation. So happy we won, almost gave the Mrs a heart attack when I screamed out when they read the result out, well done all that went I hear you was loud and proud as always!
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
The Yard Dog
January 2, 2017, 8:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
I did not go today, I can only comment on the goals which were showed on sky.  For me Bogle has to have the ball at his feet running at defenders, not lump up to him and try to hold up and bring players in, Lenny style.

It a lot easier for defenders to cope Bogle if the ball is lump to him, this tactic just frustrates him. He is a far better player when he runs at defenders, defenders backing off, allowing him to at least the chance to have a shot at the goal.

Well done to all the team, time to put the monkey hangers to the sword on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Teestogreen
January 2, 2017, 9:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
First half - Town controlled the opening exchanges and moved the ball around really well, without creating any real changes but it set the tone of the performance.
Bit disappointing when Carlisle scored, as the goal didn't come as a result of any pressure.

Second half - Bogle showed his pace and finishing ability - exceptional.
When Yussoff came on, suddenly there were 2 strikers with pace. This on the back of the way Grimsby set up as a defensive unit was an ideal outlet for counter attack - which worked.

Carlisle were stunned in to action, when the 3rd goal went in but Town defended really well. As last man, Henderson made some brilliant saves and, in particular, his decision making at corners and crosses coupled with his ability to catch the ball to relieve any pressure was eye catching and definitely would give the defenders much confidence in him.

Well done the manager for setting up this team for this game - well done the team for implementing the game plan.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
grimsby pete
January 2, 2017, 10:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
When I saw the team I thought that's interesting,

At HT I thought I hope Adi comes on,

At the end of the game I thought how lucky we are to have Marcus,

AND

Omar  

BUT

All the players today deserve a pat on the back, well done lads.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
A.l.f.
January 2, 2017, 10:09pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Long day and 400 mile drive today so not been home long.
Thought we played well first half hour and their goal was against the run of play.  Deeno made a good save after that as they came alive after the goal.
At half time felt we were very much still in it as our central 3 midfielders dominated.
Three good goals and could have had more, although they hit the post and Deeno made another great save.
Thought the formation worked and Marcus out thought them as they struggled to keep possession.  All worked really hard and Omar and Adi look like an exciting prospect.
Fans were amazing as usual and great celebrations at the end.
Looking forward to Hartlepool.
The best thing though - is I think we can get better 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Chrisblor
January 2, 2017, 10:35pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Got back just over an hour ago and I think my toes have only just thawed. Anyway we did ok in the first half an hour until they caught us on the back foot by winning a header in midfield and then flicking it through the middle of Collins and Pearson for their lad to slot home. Was slightly unfair on us to go in at half time behind since it was a pretty even first 45 minutes, although we never properly tested their keeper. Boyce missed our best chance with a header at the far post which looked easier to score than miss.

Disley added a lot of composure to the midfield and Comley did a great job breaking up play infront of our back line. I was worried we wouldn't have much width with no recognised wingers, but Davies and especially Andrew were brilliant at getting up and down the field from their wingback positions. Mills looked alright in midfield and had a few half decent shots from distance which their keeper dealt with comfortably. All 4 centre halves who got on the pitch did a solid job today, the goal the only real blemish. Boyce deserves a lot of credit for coming back in after a long time out and putting in a very good performance. Gowling who replaced him late on also put himself about well with some important blocks and tackles. Henderson was superb again - made a brilliant save in the first half just after they scored to tip a free header over the bar and claimed just about every cross coming anywhere close to him. The highlight though came shortly after we'd gone 2-1 ahead when he somehow managed to tip the ball away from Ibehre who looked like he should have had a tap in from about 3 yards. Incredible goalkeeping.

Bogle was quiet in the first half but came alive in the second, making a mug of their left back with his strength to power past and nutmeg the keeper for our equaliser. Vernon then went off after an anonymous performance for Yussuf who immediately looked a threat with his direct running and link-up play with Bogle. His hard work resulted in the corner which Andrew beautifully curled in for Omar to nod in his second. Carlisle started throwing players forward leaving them exposed at the back which Bogle and Yussef took advantage of. Yussef flicked a high ball to Bogle who returned it with a clever backheel right into his path. Clean through Adi outpaced their defenders, shifted it onto his left foot and slotted it past the keeper to put us 3-1 up. We rode our luck a bit as they tried to make a comeback with Devitt hitting the inside of the post before it bounced back into Henderson's arms, but for all their late possession that was the only real chance they created. Fantastic celebrations from all supporters and players at the final whistle with Henderson jumping around and throwing his gloves into the crowd like we'd won the league! An absolutely fantastic second half performance and a brilliant result.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
arryarryarry
January 2, 2017, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
I've been critical of some of the recent performances but all I can say about today's performance is Bloody Magnificent.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
EY Mariner
January 3, 2017, 12:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Terrific win. I thought we were unlucky to be behind at half-time on the balance of play, but gave Carlisle a lesson in finishing after the break. Bogle was helped by some pretty weak defending but his first goal, in particular, was superbly taken and the immediate signs of a partnership with Yussuf, who took his goal just as well, were hugely promising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
essexexile
January 3, 2017, 3:17am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
What a win, made sweeter with Kev Drinkell co-commentator on RH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back *merged*

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.