Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › End of the Imp?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 220 Guests

End of the Imp?

This thread currently has 5,738 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2017, 2:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

And cheap supermarket booze..

True. That and the overheads certainly did for the bigger places like Darleys. But there was still a market for the smaller more "intimate" pubs and that was hit hard by the smoking ban a) because a lot of them had nowhere decent to put any sort of smoking area and b) because people getting up and going outside ruined the atmosphere. It was stupid and class ridden because they knew it would affect the lower paid more than anyone but it was part of Blair's cafe/bistro culture that he wanted to see Essexwhitevanman doing.

At least it's good to see some small "own beer" places opening up but it's not the same as spit and sawdust and fagash on yer pork scratchings.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
mimma
January 2, 2017, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Sorry but I have to dissaggree with you TRRFC, people's habits have changed. There is now a lot more things to do with our lessure time than there was 45 years ago when I started going in pubs. Back then it was the pub or pictures and that was it. It was also a male dominated past time with wives only going out at the weekend.

Nowadays  (God I feel old saying that!), it's a family orientated market, we now take the whole family out. Pubs that don't cater for families are the ones that struggle.

Pubs were struggling before the smoking ban came into force.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
scoregasm
January 2, 2017, 3:20pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +148
I was a regular in the imp in the 80's growing up in the area, it was a fantastic pub with loads of characters. It was areal locals pub and for 25 ish times a year filled with town fans who mostly never used it apart from match days. It started to go down hill when they modernised it getting rid of the old town bar and tried to make it looking like a trendy 80's wine bar. It had three rooms of which only one has been open for years. Many landlords have come and gone and it didn't matter what they tried they struggled to get punters through the door. Lots of reason for the lack of punters not just the smoking ban the demise of the fishing industry, Dockers and lumpers losing their livelihoods even the lack of guys attending the flying club on Friday and Saturday nights.
As a public house it was finished years ago and making it into flats is better than just standing empty for years, becoming even more of an eyesore and possibly burnt to the ground.
I hope who ever have bought it makes it work, good luck you will need it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Grantham_Mariner
January 2, 2017, 4:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
I miss being able to park my car there!  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2017, 4:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from monkeyboy

And where did i mention Race, colour or religeon? So you dont like Lincoln city? you bloody racist!

So not being racist or prejudiced against anyone on religious grounds, I take it you condemn the Twitter poster who spouted shite about Adi Yusuf then?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
monkeyboy
January 2, 2017, 5:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So not being racist or prejudiced against anyone on religious grounds, I take it you condemn the Twitter poster who spouted shite about Adi Yusuf then?

It was a disgrace what the idiot put on Twitter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2017, 6:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mimma
Sorry but I have to dissaggree with you TRRFC, people's habits have changed. There is now a lot more things to do with our lessure time than there was 45 years ago when I started going in pubs. Back then it was the pub or pictures and that was it. It was also a male dominated past time with wives only going out at the weekend.

Nowadays  (God I feel old saying that!), it's a family orientated market, we now take the whole family out. Pubs that don't cater for families are the ones that struggle.

Pubs were struggling before the smoking ban came into force.

They might have been struggling, I don't disagree. Over time, some would have changed tack as times changed, some would diversify. Most would have modernised to a degree. But my point is that this was one huge hammer blow that forced immediate change onto pubs without choice or time. It was NO SMOKING everywhere, that's what was wrong.

They are not pubs any more are they? They are different entities and yes, they attract a clientele if you like your drink and conversation interrupted by kids running all over the place. They lost all the old fogeys like me who would have continued to sit with a pint and put the world to rights with or without a ciggie, doing no-one any harm.  

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Marinerz93
January 2, 2017, 6:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mimma

Looks like it's the end for the Town fans pre match watering hole.

To be turned into flats.

Could the pub be kept and the upstairs turned into flats?  This would reduce the pubs overheads and make it more viable. Just a thought.

http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.u.....33-detail/story.html

The rooms above the Imp should have been turned into flats decades ago and if the previous owners had any flexibility they would have developed catering / restaurant, and kids facilities they could have prospered.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Paris Mariner
January 2, 2017, 6:55pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Shame, if we were able to redevelop BP it would make a great location for a social club like The Pilgrim Lounge at Boston or The Blues Club at Gainsborough, for example.

I always thought it would have been a great place for something like this. The upstairs could have been converted to a restaurant doing pie and peas or something on match days and other stuff through the week with a bar and that downstairs. You could have had a meeting room for the Trust and pool, darts, dominoes and snooker teams playing under the club's social club name in the local leagues. A focal point for Town fans pre-match and in the week (Internet Mariners could have used it for a post match pint with their opponents for example too) to gather. The admittedly idyllic business would be one of the ways the club can put back into the community by keeping it well kept and therefore maintaing a few people's jobs and a local for those living in the vicinity of the ground. Unfortunately, I haven't won the Euromillions but it'd have been on my agenda if I did.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 34
mimma
January 2, 2017, 7:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
I take it that you are a smoker TRRFC. I have never smoked in my life. It' your choice.

I do not know of any smoker refusing to go to the pub simply because they have to go outside for a smoke. But I can tell you that pubs have become cleaner and healthier to people like me, and to families with young children who now frequent pubs more than they ever did before.

Is it really such a hardship?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › End of the Imp?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.