MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Worryingly we use to dominate matches and make plenty of chances albeit not always convert. Now we just contain teams but pose little or no threat. If anything I thought we would play a even more attacking game under Bignot

Apart from the second half against Stevenage, I haven't seen us dominate at home all season.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
LH
January 1, 2017, 9:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Pretty happy so far but there is definitely room for improvement. A good run saw us pushing for the play offs but the managerial change has killed that off for the time being. The league is so tight that a run of four wins in six could see us challenging again but likewise a poor run could put us in danger. I'm expecting Bignot will start to form his own squad in the other week and I'm hopeful that will provide an upturn in fortunes rather than the other way.

The only two teams I've thought were better than us (that I've seen) over ninety minutes were Pompey and Carlisle. I expect they will both be promoted. There have been a few teams who have looked good in patches though.

Individuals wise whilst Bogle is the obvious choice for player of the season honourable mentions go to Dannys Collins and Andrew. Andrew has had a tough season due to having to do the defensive work of two men at times while Collins is just a class player at this level - a really good signing by PH and good on GTFC for trying to extend beyond this season.

I said at the start of the season that I would be happy with a midtable finish with a foundation to build on for next season and that is being achieved so far.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 9:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I'd love to have seen this play off chasing, dominant side, making loads of chances under Hurst. We looked decent in a couple of games but i think people are looking back with some kind of member-eyed nostalgia to 8 weeks ago. We lost to Cheltenham in Hurst's last game, the team second from bottom. We lost to Crewe, Orient and Hartlepool at home and just about scraped a win against Newport, the bottom side. We were the first team to give Exeter a point at their place having lost all their previous home games to that point. We lost tamely at Wycombe and Colchester and failed to beat Notts County when they were there for the taking. I really am struggling to understand how people think we have gone from a good side to a bad one since MB came in. The only really disappointing result under Bignot has been the loss to Crawley IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Mariner_09
January 1, 2017, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Bar Portsmouth I haven't seen anything in this league to trouble me. Carlisle were a good footballing side but we exploited an obvious soft underbelly as we rattled them for a long period. Doncaster produced one moment of quality and showed nothing else all game. Plymouth looked half decent first half but they crumbled under pressure and lacked ideas after we scored.

Crewe looked a half decent outfit. Had some good players, dominated our midfield, but we did have a clearly onside goal disallowed and a rugby tackle not given as a penalty. Notts County gifted us two goals but we looked like we would have scored lots more that afternoon, they showed some desire and fight, I'm surprised they're down at the bottom. Orient benefitted from our profligate finishing and costly errors but didn't look anything special. Nor did Wycombe, another game we should have at least drawn but a poor free kick given away and an inability to defend a long throw cost us big time.

Newport, Stevenage, Morecambe Mansfield and Accrington looked poor sides.

3-0 flattered Hartlepool and Podge was massively fired up. We again missed two good chances before their goal. Barnet looked utterly devoid of anything bar Akinde's wonderful propensity to win penalties. Cheltenham was a right off as the players were distracted, the management likewise and then we had two fingers stuck up at us with the "sniffer" Doig sent to blatantly lie to us. I lost a lot of respect for Hursty then, having previously defended him to edge of the earth. In wasn't at Luton, Colchester, Cambridge, Exeter, Crawley or Yeovil.

Marcus has come in, talked an excellent game, won at Plymouth and everything was rosy, I am too be convinced either way but I am perfectly happy to allow him at least 2 windows to get his own men in. What I would definitely say though is we always posed a threat under Hursty, we now look devoid of ideas bar passing the ball to Bogle the messiah and when you put 3 men on him, even he isn't that brilliant.

However, there doesn't appear to be a huge gap between top and bottom and the Conference looks a poor league in comparison. Cheltenham are a case in point as we are 10 points ahead of them and they basically have the same team.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 10:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
So basically, all of Hurst's poor results can be explained away by refereeing decisions, poor defensive lapses and poor finishing but Bignot's losses are because he doesn't know what he is doing and only talks a good game, despite his run of fixtures being much tougher?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Skrill
January 2, 2017, 1:13am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Looking back, if we had turned a few of our draws and losses into wins we could easily be in the play-offs or further. The Notts County game has to be my favourite, awesome songs, nice stadium and turnout, and crazy game where Notts missed a penalty.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Mallyner
January 2, 2017, 6:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
I am happy with where we are, there are some good teams in this league and no walk overs.

We are back in the football league, we have a new manager who has come in and had to get to know the players, all of whom he hasn't signed. The new ground now looks more like it will go ahead than ever
and we are still within a chance of making the playoffs.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
monkeyboy
January 2, 2017, 7:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I think we all would have settled for mid table after finally getting out of the conference., but after seeing the quality in league 2 we should really have pushed on for at least a playoff place by now.
I blame this on Hurst as he let too many players go, i think Arnold would have been decent at this level, certainly no worse than we have currently.
Defense id reasonable but we should be looking for a younger replacemant for Gowling as i think he has had his day tbh.
Center mid is my great concern at the moment, we really seem to struggle to get 2 players that can operate together in the middle with Summerfield and Berret being the worse that we have had there for some time, Craig Clay would have been better! Would like to see Venney get a few games there to try and develop him further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
crusty ole pie
January 2, 2017, 9:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,338
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from ginnywings
I think we are doing ok but with plenty of room for improvement. League 2 is either better than it was or just better than i remember it being due to being away too long. Can't decide which.

That's my thoughts too Ginny seems so much better than it was than perhaps it was just us remembering the good old days of the 2nd tier of footballl and thinking gawd isn't league 2 excrement and after 6 years in the excrement we really now know what sh@t really is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
ginnywings
January 2, 2017, 9:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from crusty ole pie

That's my thoughts too Ginny seems so much better than it was than perhaps it was just us remembering the good old days of the 2nd tier of footballl and thinking gawd isn't league 2 excrement and after 6 years in the excrement we really now know what sh@t really is

Think you may be right Mr Pie. I suppose it depends what you are comparing it to but it's a bigger step up than a lot of us were imagining and i think we were right to have a big cull of the playing squad- Cheltenham's league position is showing that. I keep reading about all the players we should have kept from last season and then i look at them. On the other hand B.Rovers went straight through without changing personnel, so it's hard to say. We seem to be somewhere between those two, at least for the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Halfway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.