3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
January 1, 2017, 7:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Gold Stars: 78
So we have now completed 23 of our 46 league games this season, with every team to play once again.  

The quality of the team's performances will be well debated on other threads, so how about a discussion on how we think this league has changed since our exile in 2010?

Also, of the new grounds we have visited so far, which has been your favourite?

And happy new year to everyone!
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
January 1, 2017, 7:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Only been to 4 games, performances to one side looking at the table I'm content. I was hoping for a play off push but mid table is a sensible realistic target.. Look forward to seeing a pre season under Bignot with a majority of his own squad he picks (obviously some have 2 year deals)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Tony_GTFC
January 1, 2017, 7:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
A couple of shots below par, solid start, despite the handicap of losing nearly everyone who was here last year

Ask any man what nationality he would prefer to be, and ninety nine out of a hundred will tell you that they would prefer to be Englishmen.

CECIL RHODES

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 8:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I think we are doing ok but with plenty of room for improvement. League 2 is either better than it was or just better than i remember it being due to being away too long. Can't decide which.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 8:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
I think we are doing ok but with plenty of room for improvement. League 2 is either better than it was or just better than i remember it being due to being away too long. Can't decide which.

I think teams are fitter and we are playing against clubs who have 'been ahead' of us for 6 years. Certainly doing better than Cheltenham which makes our no-show against them in Hurst's last game even more galling.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
wigworld
January 1, 2017, 8:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
If you asked me at the start of the season, I would have said I was happy with 12th in the table. But because we spent a brief spell in a play-off spot, I still (wrongly) feel a bit discouraged at our current table position.

Like most of us, I guess, I've spent the last 6 years thinking there was very little difference between the bottom half of league two and the top half of the conference. I think that may have been the case when we were relegated 6 years ago, but not any more.

In spite of our league position, I'm enjoying the faster, better quality football that we're seeing now. Yesterday's 0-0 game was far more entertaining to watch than a 0-0 draw with Guiseley in our wilderness years!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 25
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2017, 8:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from wigworld
If you asked me at the start of the season, I would have said I was happy with 12th in the table. But because we spent a brief spell in a play-off spot, I still (wrongly) feel a bit discouraged at our current table position.

Like most of us, I guess, I've spent the last 6 years thinking there was very little difference between the bottom half of league two and the top half of the conference. I think that may have been the case when we were relegated 6 years ago, but not any more.

In spite of our league position, I'm enjoying the faster, better quality football that we're seeing now. Yesterday's 0-0 game was far more entertaining to watch than a 0-0 draw with Guiseley in our wilderness years!

I think that your thoughts on the bottom half of league 2 and the top of the conference are probably spot on. The bottom half of this league is weak and that's proved by how we are sat comfortably mid table without really playing very well. In the top half it certainly is of a higher quality, but not by as much as I had thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
moosey_club
January 1, 2017, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
disappointed overall, while Hurst did my swede in with his defensive mindset, stubborness and lack of plan b i was sorry to see him leave us so soon after finally earning his League Manager status, i always felt his job would be easier in League 2 and we could push for play offs......him going has stalled our season and we are now in for an uncertain season and an MB rebuild in the summer.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Mrs Doyle
January 1, 2017, 8:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Worryingly we use to dominate matches and make plenty of chances albeit not always converting them. Now we just contain teams but pose little or no threat. If anything I thought we would play a even more attacking game under Bignot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Maringer
January 1, 2017, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I've actually been quite impressed with the general level of ability of many of the teams we've played. Lots of skill and application in almost all of them. What most have been lacking is a real cutting edge up front which is something we've actually had (for all our other failings) in certain games where Bogle has been on form.

You can certainly see why big money is paid for strikers with that extra something to offer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.