3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
November 19, 2016, 9:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Just a hypothetical question but, under Marcus with his positive attacking style would we have left the conference quicker than we actually did, this is in no way to be used as a stick to hit PH with as he did (eventually) succeed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Skrill
November 19, 2016, 9:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Looking at what he has done to Solihull Moors F.C. possibly. Fact is though, it was hurst and doig that got us here, and they deserve the ever-lasting praise for that..

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
SteffiMariner
November 19, 2016, 9:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
FFS. We probably would have gone up quicker if Fergie was in charge but he wasn't, so leave it alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Abdul19
November 19, 2016, 9:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Imagine the hoo ha if we'd replaced Neil Woods with a bloke who'd only managed Brum Ladies

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
LH
November 19, 2016, 9:12pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Just wondering if Marcus Bignot had been in power in the late 1930s could we have avoided WWII?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
grimsby pete
November 19, 2016, 9:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
One thing I do know,

Hurst could not take us into L1 because he has gone,

BUT

There is a good chance no a very good chance Marcus will..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
promotion plaice
November 19, 2016, 9:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Early days I know but I can't help feeling all the staff changes (players and management team) in the last six months have taken us to another level, Hurst deserves credit for that.....

Would Bignot have got us out of the Conference quicker than Hurst, impossible to say.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2016, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - whilst I was never a Paul Hurst fan, the weight of expectation last season was almost unbearable and no-one knows what MB minus a year's experience would have done.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
cmackenzie4
November 19, 2016, 9:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from LH
Just wondering if Marcus Bignot had been in power in the late 1930s could we have avoided WWII?

Brilliant!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Southwark Mariner
November 19, 2016, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Marcus Bignot chose to go to the Moon and do the other things. not because they were easy, but because they were hard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
promotion plaice
November 19, 2016, 9:43pm

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
KingstonMariner
November 19, 2016, 11:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from LH

No, but we would have won it in 1940.

He would have persuaded the French to launch an offensive with us in Spring 1940, utilising our superior numbers and armour, instead of skulking behind the Maginot line keeping us shape. Winston Bignot would have had that offensive spirit that Neville Hurst lacked, and not talked up Adolf Vince and that overweight buffoon Hermann Parkin with his aerial bombardment.

FFS by early 1940, all that smug vegetarian's side had managed to beat were pub sides like the Poles, the Czechs, the Spanish Republicans, the Danes and the Norwegians.

I bet we wouldn't have lost in Singapore against the Japs either. Another loss due to sitting back and giving the opposition the initiative.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
November 20, 2016, 12:03am
Guest User
Quoted from Skrill
Looking at what he has done to Solihull Moors F.C. possibly. Fact is though, it was hurst and doig that got us here, and they deserve the ever-lasting praise for that..

A minimal amount of praise IMO. They did what they was employed for, but we never looked like winning the 'NON LEAGUE' title. We are a huge club at that level, we are a big club at this level. He was a boring illegitimate, no charisma at all. Charisma is required as far as I am concerned, I think Hurst probably did have the respect of the players, the ones he picked anyway, but he hardly made the red sea part.

We were always going to rise to the top in that league, we should never have sunk so low (directors), league one is the next step towards normality, we'll get there soon. Maybe a 50 percent chance this season, our new manager seems spot on, I've every confidence in him and to be fair, to the board who have gone for up and coming, instead of sacked and on his way down.
Reply: 12 - 22
highcliff mariner
November 20, 2016, 12:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
[quote=120785]

He would have persuaded the French to launch an offensive with us in Spring 1940, utilising our superior numbers and armour, instead of skulking behind the Maginot line keeping us shape. Winston Bignot would have had that offensive spirit that Neville Hurst lacked, and not talked up Adolf Vince and that overweight buffoon Hermann Parkin with his aerial bombardment.

FFS by early 1940, all that smug vegetarian's side had managed to beat were pub sides like the Poles, the Czechs, the Spanish Republicans, the Danes and the Norwegians.

I bet we wouldn't have lost in Singapore against the Japs either. Another loss due to sitting back and giving the opposition the initiative.[/quote

Brilliant 😂
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
rancido
November 20, 2016, 12:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Marcus Bignot chose to go to the Moon and do the other things. not because they were easy, but because they were hard.

Which mission to the Moon was Marcus Bignot on because I can't remember his name mentioned.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
promotion plaice
November 20, 2016, 1:36am

Quoted from rancido

Which mission to the Moon was Marcus Bignot on because I can't remember his name mentioned.

Great to be a Town  fan tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnExahMPPFI

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
A Brace Of Tees
November 20, 2016, 6:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +692
Gold Stars: 3
Some of us on here do seem to have selective memory! Remember this club of ours had been so poorly managed a few years ago that we sank to the lowest point ever in the club's history. Hurst may have lacked certain qualities, but he won the respect of his players, hauled us back up to the football league and then skilfully rebuilt the squad during the summer to give Marcus the pool of players he now has at his disposal.

I agree totally with Marcus's appointment as he has some fantastic qualities, but it is churlish and ungrateful for some people to dismiss hurst's major contribution in getting us to where we are now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
madness2010
November 20, 2016, 7:32am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +45
Its the here and now that is important,its nice to come on here and see the positiveity around the club once again, onwards and upwards utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Garth
November 20, 2016, 10:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I bet we wouldn't have lost in Singapore against the Japs either. Another loss due to sitting back and giving the opposition the initiative.

Not forgetting Field Marshall Fenty marauding around the back of the enemy lines deconstructing tanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2016, 2:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Not forgetting Field Marshall Fenty marauding around the back of the enemy lines deconstructing tanks

Absolutely his assault on SS Panzer Division Leibstandart Newport County is legendary.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
jamesgtfc
November 20, 2016, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
We all know the play offs is a lottery and Hurst got us there 4 seasons on the bounce.  Him and Scott were on an upward trajectory working in the league below at the time we appointed them. Admittedly one of them had anger management issues and soon left but as someone said earlier, imagine the uproar if we appointed someone cutting their teeth in the womens game managing Birmingham City Ladies?

On another note, I was at the Mansfield v Crawley game yesterday and their fans were extremely excited by Steve Evans appointment whereas there was a feeling of discontent on here when people linked him to the job.  Interestingly, Pat Hoban is a very effective target man and was their player of the month for October!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2016, 5:25pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
We all know the play offs is a lottery and Hurst got us there 4 seasons on the bounce.  Him and Scott were on an upward trajectory working in the league below at the time we appointed them. Admittedly one of them had anger management issues and soon left but as someone said earlier, imagine the uproar if we appointed someone cutting their teeth in the womens game managing Birmingham City Ladies?

On another note, I was at the Mansfield v Crawley game yesterday and their fans were extremely excited by Steve Evans appointment whereas there was a feeling of discontent on here when people linked him to the job.  Interestingly, Pat Hoban is a very effective target man and was their player of the month for October!

I saw something I never thought I'd see last night. Hoban scoring.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
RichMariner
November 20, 2016, 5:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Things happened the way they did, and we'll never know if they could've happened differently (or quicker).

What I will say is that the disappointments of all those play-off failures made promotion (when it finally came) seem all the more sweeter, and given that we can't change anything, that's the way I'd prefer to look at it!

Don't get me wrong - I'd have loved us to bounce back straight away in 2011, or even in 2015 against Bristol Rovers - but the way it worked out meant we had an absolutely awesome day at Wembley in May that seemed extra special because of Operation Promotion.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leaving the conference quicker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.